1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hobbies anyone??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Opalshards, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Alan S

Alan S Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I turned my affliction into my hobby. I spend several hours each morning on forums like this one; learning a lot and passing some of it on. My other passion is travel; I wander the world as often as I can. I blog on both subjects.

• Like Like x 2
  2. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

I was quite enjoying your post until you mentioned the dreaded photoshop. When I can't get film anymore then I will hang up my camera bag.

3. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

What a terrible thing to do! But I like it!!!

4. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Changing the hobby slightly, I am 66 and very afraid of the water although I love boats etc;
    I need some good tips on how to overcome this fear and learn how to swim, then I could try swimming as a new hobby.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alan S

Consider hydrotherapy. I have not done it myself but watched as a group of others did when I was at a public pool. It is intended as low-impact exercise for people our age (I'm 67), but it is also a way to be comfortable in shallow water for half an hour while doing an activity and getting used to being in the water.

6. Alan S

As a traveller who takes a lot of photos I found the problem was not a lack of film years ago, but a lack of processing facilities. I switched to digital in 2005 and have not regretted it.

7. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks Alan, I will look into that.

8. Anie

Anie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm a crafter too, I make cards and a few other things pin cushions, notebooks, bunting, etc and my sister in lawand I usually have a stall at a craft fair at a garden centre in November to try to raise funds to buy more stuff to create with.

This year amongst other things we are going to make Santa tags for parents to attach to their childrens's Santa sacks.

My house also looks like a tip most of the time, and I can't remember the last time we had a meal sat at our 6' dining table!!!

Just want to add, I have the most wonderfully patient husband.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Hayley13

Hayley13 Parent · Member

I live in the Lake District and try to spend as much of my free time as I can outdoors, walking and taking photographs of the lovely scenery.

I also love live music and going to gigs, I'm looking forward to the next Red Hot Chili Peppers tour.

I am also an avid reader, I'm currently reading the Game Of Thrones series and I'm hooked!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 4
  10. Opalshards

Opalshards Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would love a decent camera but I am far too lazy to carry one around.

• Like Like x 6
  11. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Photo of upcycled garden table and bench, with table top tiled, but not yet grouted.
    20140725 Upcycled bench and table web.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  12. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Rosie, they are absolutely beautiful, lovely colour and a fantastic recycling job.......... clever you, well done:D

RRB

13. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Only 11 more years to go for me then !! o_O, I do such a lot of walking and physical work, hydrotherapy sounds lovely and relaxing:)

• Like Like x 2
  14. purplekat

purplekat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Lenny, that sounds amazing! I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Rock Choir. I'm going to look into whether there's one in my area :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lenny3

Lenny3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think there Is a national one called rockchoir.com but mine was set up by a local music school and I think It suits me better as we learn at our own pace and can have some input to the songs. We also do awesome mash ups, where we mix 2 or 3 songs together.

16. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We have something similar in our village and while I'd love to try it I am far too self-conscious about my singing.

17. Marko723

Marko723 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Does raising kids count? Hmmmmm guess that's more like a job.

I used to enjoy tinkering with computers, building them from the ground up, order parts and assemble. Couple years back I built a multi-media server installed unix and then remotely logged in with a command line shell and configured all the settings, network shares (samba) etc... Then I got board with them after a while and wanted a new challenge. (Been tinkering with them since 84)

In spring of 2013 I picked up my first DSL camera, joined a few forum sites and self thought myself the basics. By October, I switched to fully manual mode in the camera and dropped JPEG format. A year later, and 6 more lenses, I'm fully enjoying this with even more passion than when I first got it. There are soooooo many techniques, and mastering lighting and composition is going to take years. I love challenges and learning new things. It's a trait that I hope I can instil in my kids.

18. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Making music.
    Which drifted into sound engineering/recording.
    Just at home.
    After a few years of not doing any I've started making stuff again.
    I'm fascinated that when I was young Pink Floyd needed a building to make those sounds me ... I need a room and a puter.
    I sit wrapped in headphones amazed!
    But ... making an original tune is where talent comes in ... hobby talent ... not the same thing sooooo .... I'm back to what I had ideas about and started trying to create ten years ago .... creating short back ground sounds for scenes advertising news reels and stuff.
    When you listen to the opening of BBC News 24 ... that wee loop that is beep beep beep with some interesting swirly sounds earned the composer around ten grand ... and it isn't music ... it's sound.

19. Seriously_Sax1989

Seriously_Sax1989 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I play the alto sax and am working towards grade 3 and I've just taken up long boarding! Keeps me fit and I love it :)

20. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ahhhh I did suspect with the name .... really!
    Any stu8ff we can listen to?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook