Hoist By My Own Petard

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So today the doctor's office contacted me. Somehow, my regular blood sample for the HbA1c (taken two weeks ago) was "lost" and they needed to take it again (***???). So I trotted over there and they took more blood.

After they took that first sample, two weeks ago, I then had some fun for by drinking a pint of very high-carb and lovely German Hefe Weissbier every evening (at least 20g of carbs) for the following six days. I thought, heh heh, it's early enough in the A1c cycle that it won't affect the next test three months from now.

So much for that, huh?:wacky:

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m sorry but that made me laugh!:joyful:

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sorry but that made me laugh!:joyful:

I hope I will have the last laugh. I have yet another of those pints of Hefe Weissbier in front of me:happy:. I raised a toast to the lab gods, who had better not pull that trick on me again!

(Seriously though, this time it is a one-off Weissbier, not a six-time-one-off.)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope I will have the last laugh. I have yet another of those pints of Hefe Weissbier in front of me:happy:. I raised a toast to the lab gods, who had better not pull that trick on me again!

(Seriously though, this time it is a one-off Weissbier, not a six-time-one-off.)
Fingers crossed it hasn’t affected your result, you’d have to have put it up a long way to even get it to pre diabetic. I’d say you’re pretty safe.

Reactions: Grateful

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fingers crossed it hasn’t affected your result, you’d have to have put it up a long way to even get it to pre diabetic. I’d say you’re pretty safe.

I hope so. We are all so different. I actually found most of the carb-cutting not too hard (after the initial information-gathering).

Apart from the beer. In a future heaven, I hope that I can get back to drinking a daily pint. In theory that is really not an issue if one is on a VLC diet, but it does require extremely stringent control of all the other carbs. I mean, does Mr. Diabetes care whether those small daily portions of carbs come from food, or beer? I don't think so.

It is really weird doing these scientific experiments on our own bodies. Very interesting, but a bit sad. Sometimes, such as today, rather funny!:hilarious:

Edited to add: My wonderful GP, Dr. K., is still tut-tutting about the "empty calories in alcohol" and "the sugars in alcohol" but this is one of those few occasions where I am quietly displaying the two-fingers!

Last edited:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe not as extreme but after my last bloods I've lightened the control a bit... and last night had an old fav pudding, apples and almonds, Delia Smith... and my FBG this morning was 6.0, which is 0.8 units higher than "normal"... be back on the wagon sometime soon.
I did buy a bottle of this: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3404/33468/ for research purposes but not managed to quaff it yet....
Be interesting to see how your result comes out.
Cheers
Hj

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope so. We are all so different. I actually found most of the carb-cutting really easy (after the initial information-gathering).

Apart from the beer. In a future heaven, I hope that I can get back to drinking a daily pint. In theory that is really not an issue if one is on a VLC diet, but it does require extremely stringent control of all the other carbs. I mean, does Mr. Diabetes care whether those small daily portions of carbs come from food, or beer? I don't think so.

It is really weird doing these scientific experiments on our own bodies. Very interesting, but a bit sad. Sometimes, such as today, rather funny!:hilarious:

Edited to add: My wonderful GP, Dr. K., is still tut-tutting about the "empty calories in alcohol" and "the sugars in alcohol" but this is one of those few occasions where I am quietly displaying the two-fingers!
Mr or Mrs Diabetes certainly does test us. Today I’m wondering why all my readings have been in the 6s when they are usually in the 5s when I’ve eaten foods I’ve tried and tested before! Is it because I started a new tub of strips this morning, but same batch number as yesterday? Or is it because I think I may be developing a cold? Is it because I rushed around early morning getting ready for a friend’s visit and then got really cold looking round the shops with her? Or is it because Mrs Diabetes thought today falls on a full moon on the 2nd Monday of the month?! It’s certainly a fickle beast! :banghead:
I’m hoping it’s just a temporary blip as my next HbA1c is less than a month away :nailbiting:

D

Deleted Account

I have oft wondered what is a “petard”.
Thank you for using it and reminding me to satisfy my curiosity.
It’S a small bomb. Not found a reference to why or how it could hoist one but the bomb bit makes sense.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have oft wondered what is a “petard”.
Thank you for using it and reminding me to satisfy my curiosity.
It’S a small bomb. Not found a reference to why or how it could hoist one but the bomb bit makes sense.
I looked it up too! The last sentence of the explanation I found made me chuckle!
“To be "hoist by [or with] your own petard" is to be blown up by your own bomb. A petard was a medieval engine of war consisting originally of a bell-shaped metal container filled with explosives. It was used to blow in a door or a gate or breach a wall. Premature explosion was an ever-present danger. In other words, you could be hoist by your own petard. But what is also interesting is the derivation of the word "petard". It comes from the French word peter, meaning to break wind.” :wideyed::joyful:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr or Mrs Diabetes certainly does test us. Today I’m wondering why all my readings have been in the 6s when they are usually in the 5s when I’ve eaten foods I’ve tried and tested before! Is it because I started a new tub of strips this morning, but same batch number as yesterday? Or is it because I think I may be developing a cold? Is it because I rushed around early morning getting ready for a friend’s visit and then got really cold looking round the shops with her? Or is it because Mrs Diabetes thought today falls on a full moon on the 2nd Monday of the month?! It’s certainly a fickle beast! :banghead:
I’m hoping it’s just a temporary blip as my next HbA1c is less than a month away :nailbiting:

Irritatingly, pots can vary, as well a batches, in my experience. If the rise is due to a cold or something, there's nothing you can do about it.

Fingers crossed for you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I
Irritatingly, pots can vary, as well a batches, in my experience. If the rise is due to a cold or something, there's nothing you can do about it.

Fingers crossed for you.
I just opened another pot and did a couple of tests from each pot. There is definitely something dodgy about the pot I opened this morning. Both readings from the dodgy pot were 0.8 higher than the newer pot. As you say same batch different pot. I had experienced this back in the summer with a whole batch reading higher but never a single pot before.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
“To be "hoist by [or with] your own petard" is to be blown up by your own bomb. A petard was a medieval engine of war consisting originally of a bell-shaped metal container filled with explosives. It was used to blow in a door or a gate or breach a wall. Premature explosion was an ever-present danger. In other words, you could be hoist by your own petard. But what is also interesting is the derivation of the word "petard". It comes from the French word peter, meaning to break wind.” :wideyed::joyful:

I was born in France, spent the first 10 years of my life there, and a large part of my family still lives there including my 92-year-old mother, and brother. My first language is French, but I heard English during those first 10 years and then spent the following 12 years in the UK in English schools and universities.

"Pétard" is the French schoolboy word for those things that go "bang" and come on a long spiral paper strip. There is a perfectly good English word for it but I can't remember it right now! "Péter" is indeed that French verb for, "to break wind."

There are numerous derivations. The French slang, "pète-sec" ("dry-farter") describes someone who is dry and humorless. Or as an online French dictionary puts it: "Rigoureux, sévère, strict, strict sur la discipline, sec, cassant, revêche, autoritaire, pas drôle, pince-sans-rire."

(Don't even try to pin me down on whether that accent should be grave, or acute.)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Pétard" is the French schoolboy word for those things that go "bang" and come on a long spiral paper strip. There is a perfectly good English word for it but I can't remember it right now!
Caps! I remember them, used in a cap gun. Or if you didn’t have a cap gun you just whacked them with a stone!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Caps! I remember them, used in a cap gun. Or if you didn’t have a cap gun you just whacked them with a stone!

That's it, thanks. Sometimes my bilingual brain seizes up. (Edited to add: "Sometimes"! That is self-censorship.)

Reactions: Rachox

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The full derivation (from Wikipedia): Hoist with his own petard is a Shakespearean idiom from Hamlet meaning "to cause the bomb maker to be blown up with his own bomb". A petard is a small bomb used for blowing up gates and walls when breaching fortifications. It is of French origin and dates back to the 16th century. A typical petard was a conical or rectangular metal device containing 2–3 kg (5 or 6 pounds) of gunpowder, with a slow match for a fuse.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Ooh, now that's taking me back a bit! Anyone who was a kid in the 70's remember these?

fun-snaps-215x215.jpg

Reactions: slip and Rachox

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
F'ing fantastic. I just got the lab results back, on the same day!

They are so reassuring that I am starting a new thread here. I promise not to make a habit of this, but I'm "only" nine months into this T2D thing so you will have to cut me some slack. Sorry. See you over in the other thread.

I just opened another pot and did a couple of tests from each pot. There is definitely something dodgy about the pot I opened this morning. Both readings from the dodgy pot were 0.8 higher than the newer pot. As you say same batch different pot. I had experienced this back in the summer with a whole batch reading higher but never a single pot before.

I hope you can sort it out. Dodgy pot? Sadly the last time I experienced that was in my early 20s. Bad trip, man.

Last edited:

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's good to be on the Leading Edge of Research.o_O

I have just done a week long research trial on national trust scones. I have discovered that I cannot eat them without my bgl going up. Avery disappointing result. So disappointing in fact, that I will have to repeat the research to see if the results are the same in a couple of months time.

Where would diabetes research be without our selfless bravery??

Reactions: VioletViolet