1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

holland and barrett

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by heli2010, Jan 4, 2017.

1. col101

col101 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Here's a useful review of the research.
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/11/2741
    Not surprisingly the conclusion is vague. For my money we are all individuals so why not try these things and judge for ourselves? Caveats as ever are go at it cautiously and test frequently and if it doesn't work then move on, of it does work then life becomes a little bit easier :)

2. Kyambala

Kyambala Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello SBB and welcome to the Forum. Ask all the questions you want and there is sure to be someone who is having, or has had, the same experience you are going through. I am Type 2 so I have very little knowledge about Type 1 (except what I have learned on the Forum). So I will let others answer your questions.

3. Kyambala

Hello heli. Keep away from STATINS if you can. But if you want to live at peace with your "health care professional" - collect them from the Chemist but don't consume them. Why not start a "thread" asking "What is so wrong with Statins" and you will get a whole barrage of answers from people who know. Keep reading these posts and keep posting for your education.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. Kyambala

Hello Oldvart - nearly everything you say surprises me (even though you may be right). Now you say that nightly alcohol lowers you bgl? I thought alcohol would RAISE your bgl.

5. Kyambala

Oldvart - you are a wealth of knowledge. How does omeprazole protectors, and aspirin affect your metabolism?

6. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When taking multiple medications I would worry a bit as to how some supplements would interact with all of them

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Omeprazole is now contraindicated for use with Clopidogrel, and there is now an FDA warning out on it. My iron supplement specifically says I should avoid taking the supplemnt along with meds that lower stomach acid ( i,e, the prazoles), and I found that my lansoprazole was also interfering with my gliclazide meds preventing them working. I shifted the timing of my lansoprazole, and my glic worked so well I was getting hypo's, and so I have now dropped a Glic tab entirely. These meds also interfere with absorbtion of the fat based Vitamins (mainly B6 and B12 I believe) and calcium since these also need a high acid environment. I mentioned aspirin only because some GPs prescribe a prazole to protect the tummy for long term users.

#47 Oldvatr, Jan 10, 2017 at 9:46 PM
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

We metabolise alcohol differently from other carbs, and it goes straight to the liver rather than the pancreas. It does lower bgl rather than spike us, which is surprising, but worth taking note if using bgl reducing meds. Nightime hypos can follow a night out on the town, so be careful.

EDIT: Alcohol is not a diabetes control measure I recommend, but I did use it to lower bgl the day of a GP or DSN visit where they use a bgl meter. It will not have much effect on a HbA1c result unless you are a chronic alkie.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Kyambala

Thanks. "A night out on the town" to me means "going to Church" and I doubt if that would affect my blood sugar because I don't partake the tea & biscuits after the service. I said goodbye to alcohol over 52 years ago and never regretted it. But thanks for the warning.

10. Kyambala

I have just been reading the UK “Asda Guide for People with Diabetes”. It says:

1. Avoid being overweight

2. Starchy foods should make up the largest part of your diet.

3. Eat less fat, especially saturated fat.

4. Added sugar (sucrose) is acceptable.

On page 4 it says: “base your meals around rice, potato, bread, pasta or cereal”.

On page 5 it says: “All rice, pasta, bread, chapattis, cereals and potatoes .... are great foods”.

Page 6 says: “BREAKFAST: Fruit juice, chopped fruit on cereal, tomatoes on toast, fresh fruit e.g grapefruit, bananas”.

Page 7 recommends: “Semi Skinned & Skimmed Milk & Light Yogurts”.
    Page 8 recommends: “Peas, beans, oats, pasta and rice dishes, curries and mince dishes”.

Page 9 suggests: “Diet Coke, Jams, Biscuits, Malted Milk, Scones and plain cakes. Pizzas & Pies”.

Page 10 suggests: “Banana & Date Loaf”.

Page 11 suggests: “ Apple & Pear Crumble. Marmalade Carrot Loaf”

This is the advice from “Commerce”. Now, what are the comments and advice from Diabetics “who have been there = experts”?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Kyambala Perhaps you may rethink taking the statins from the chemist and . not using them ? They do have to be paid for by the NHS
    CAROL

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
  12. heli2010

heli2010 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hi Kyambala and you wonder why conspiracy theorists say big business wants to keep you sick

• Like Like x 1
  13. heli2010

The problem with that is a GP's surgery can withdraw all support for a diabetic if they refuse the medication I have had one hell of a job turning down the flu jab 4 times I was asked in the end I said I once had a bad reaction to it

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Nicksu

Nicksu Type 2 · Well-Known Member

OMG - and watch your BS levels skyrocket!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nicksu

Just because you get the paper prescription doesn't mean that you have to get it filled. And I don't think the docs have any way of checking whether you do get it filled (or maybe someone else knows if this is true or not?)

16. heli2010

trouble is its all about to go paperless now if you dont pick it up from chemist maybe they would call the surgery

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nicksu

Yep - I know what you mean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow never had this, that's tough to deal with- I don't get my jab at the GP I go to boots and they have never commented on this - also whenever I have expressed a desire to turn down a medication they have said that they recommend I reconsider but ultimately it's my body and my decision to take meds or not but they have always supported my decisions . If they ever came down heavy handed with me I think I would look for another practice

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I turned down statins ,aspirin ,flu jab every year since 2009and pneumonia jab and I have never had a problem
    CAROL

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Kyambala

Hello Carol. I haven't "yet" collected any Statins from the Chemist and not used them - last time I was in the UK was October and my DBN noted that I had not been ordering Statins for the past 12 months but I told her that they were very cheap to buy in Uganda (Meds are very cheap in Uganda - if they are available). She accepted my explanation.

But the problem "may" arise later on this year when I am permanently in the UK and if she insists (she is quite forceful) I may have to revert to accepting them but not taking them.

It all depends upon the attitude of your Doctor (who is very good and understands) and your DBN who likes to get her own way.

Life would be easier if the NHS (which I like) would change some of its policies regarding what patients "must" submit to.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook