Honeymoon period

lee39

Hi everyone ive diagnosed type 1 about 2 months now and just wondering why about 1 month ago i was injecting 28 units twice a day (im on 70/30 mix) but now i only inject 10units twice a day and my bs is great between 5 and 8 on average.Ive only tweaked my diet and do same excercise as ive always done.So what im wondering is can i expect my dosage to go up in future and will have to change my diet when pancreas finally gives up.
cheers
lee

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There have been quite a few posts about this on the Forum.

The Honeymoon period can cause Insulin levels to fluctuate over time, for some it doesn't last very long, others it can last quite a while. See here........

This length and nature of this phase varies from person to person but honeymooning occurs during the first year of diagnosis and can last for weeks, months, and on rare occasion, for a year or longer. It is not consistent enough to predict if, when, and for how long it will last. And some may never experience noticeable honeymooning.

http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes/pr ... .html#what

eabhamurphy

Hiya!

Hope your finding you new diabetic life to be alright! I was diagnosed t1 in July 09. At the time they put me on Lantus and Novorapid (Im still on both) but my dose was to be 8-8-8u novo at meals and 24 lantus at night. I now take 10u Lantus at night and only take novo with carbohydate based meals - say for example tonight i had a pizza (rarity - generally i eat low carb) and I gave myself 5 units novo..I usually only have 2units/day. So my average TDD is 12 units total (compared to the 48 units I was intially prescribed!!!!)
I mean the intial doses would have me in a coma now! Crazy! But at diagnosis my body seemed to be very resistant to insulin so I guess it made sense to the nurses.
In short if your getting values of between 5-8mmol that is FANTASTIC and you should keep doing what your doing. Keep monitoring you BG and tweek your insulin dose accordingly. I didnt have a honeymoon - its been the same for me all along. Just need to see what path your diabetes takes but you will be able to adjust your insulin correctly regardless - Dont worry! If your motivated youll be fine.
Eabha :)

jopar

You'll in the honey period!

So your pancreas will still be producing some insulin of it's own, but not enough to support you though, how long this period lasts for is similar to asking how long a piece of string it..

Could be 3,6 12 months may be more later being a rarity though.. As you start coming out of the honeymoon period then you will find it more difficult to control your levels, it might be just an increase in insulin to keep things stable but also your control and abitlity to control goes right out of kilter!

But you will find that naturally over the years you will be adjusting your control as well our bodies do change with age, our envirnoments, stress levels etc all change as we get older, so your insulin will need adjusting to reflect this..

lee39

Thx for input eahba and jopar i think in a way i would be better off if my pancreas wasnt working cause its bit of a worry thinking your gonna give yourself to much insulin but as you say with plenty of testing i should be ok anyways thx again and all the best to you guys. :D
cheers
lee