Hospitalized for keotones

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday went to the doctors feeling unwell for a few days blood sugars between 20 before food and 35 several hours after, tested positive for keotone s in urine and sent to hospital, two drips and a stay over night back home being told my recent mild cold may be the reason why haywire, medication not changed but been warned happens again and could end up as type 2 insulin independent only diagnosed 18 months ago any one similar problems

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there @Lowcarb 2. What an awful experience!

I'm afraid I don't understand the blood sugar readings - 20 and 35?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm afraid I don't understand the blood sugar readings - 20 and 35?
I assume she means 20mmol/L before the meal and 35 mmol/L after (I am surprised the meter goes that high). Given that previous threads suggest that @Lowcarb 2 is going low carb, you have to wonder whether there may be a misdiagnosis here - ie LADA rather than T2...

In any case, insulin isn't necessarily the end of the world at all. I'd argue that it gives you more control than diet/pills where the only thing you can do to bring your blood sugar down is fast and wait. (Disclaimer here: I'm a T1 diabetic.)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Wow! OK. (Thanks for explaining that to me @EllieM.) I can see why hospitalisation then, if low carbing as a type two. I agree - sounds far more like an insulin deficient diabetes, as it is the deadly duo - high ketones and high blood sugar. Ouch indeed!

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I assume she means 20mmol/L before the meal and 35 mmol/L after (I am surprised the meter goes that high). Given that previous threads suggest that @Lowcarb 2 is going low carb, you have to wonder whether there may be a misdiagnosis here - ie LADA rather than T2...

In any case, insulin isn't necessarily the end of the world at all. I'd argue that it gives you more control than diet/pills where the only thing you can do to bring your blood sugar down is fast and wait. (Disclaimer here: I'm a T1 diabetic.)
These were my blood sugar readings using my monitoring machine

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having a high blood glucose on diagnosis is not uncommon. But once you and your doctor are aware of the situation, strong efforts in the way of drugs, diet and exercise should be followed to get your (before meal) numbers below 10. If thats not working, then you may need stronger drugs or insulin to get down into an acceptable range.
You can purchase your own ketone strips from a pharmacy, to keep an eye on the ketones when your blood glucose is high (above 12) . Keep pestering your doctor for help, until your blood sugars are below 10. If you feel very unwell and your Blood glucose is high, you can always go direct to accident and emergency in the hospital. Stay safe.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect you'll be joining the merry band on insulin injecters - a 'cold' would not cause you BG to go that high and stay that high in a few days (especially if you are low carbing)