1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hounslow EXPERT meeting July 26th

Discussion in 'Diabetes Events' started by IanD, Jul 26, 2011.

1. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Will I see any of the forum in Hounslow Montague Public Hall this evening - from 7 p.m.

The group includes Diabetes & Cardiovascular.

2. IanD

22 views but no replies - does no other forum member live within reach of Hounslow?

3. IanD

Missed you all :(

Interesting evening. The EXPERT Patient plan is a general course covering a range of conditions resulting in similar problems - pain, fatigue, depression, etc - the course seeking to provide a framework for mutual encouragement. It is not the T2 Diabetes X-PERT course which I went on & have reported on another thread.

I introduced myself as an expert patient as I have overcome a range of complications & am now in good health. I stressed this forum for mutual support & the low carb advice I received & implemented. I took along my almond buns for folk to try.

There was a lot of interest. They want me to go on the EXPERT course, & to supply information to circulate to the group.

My submission to the group was:

4. IanD

Expert Patients Programme Self-Management Courses

Many on this forum have conditions additional to diabetes.

5. IanD

Have any of the Hounslow group checked in on this forum? You took details & said you would.

I've been invited on the EXPERT course starting Sept. 16 or Nov. 11. I suspect it will be for my contributions rather than my benefit.

6. IanD

I spoke to the organiser, & said I would be happy to contribute to a session, but as my diabetes & general health are well-controlled, I did not need to go on a 6 week course.

7. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

I did the expert patient programme about a year ago. It actually didn't teach me anything new[ although Idid persuade the T1 "leader" to try dropping her carbs and her insulin. which she did and said she felt really good on that!] I'm already assertive in a polite and gentle way :) ;which is the main benefit of the course I think. I did learn why some people do not take charge of their own situation. It's simply too scary for them.
    We have such a strong culture of believing the health care professions, that many people dare not question their decisions and will go along with anything they say, even if the can't follow the advice every well.
    My own mother is a perfect example of this. Although my vet brother[ a medic of course] tells her to follow my guidelines on diabetic diet, because I really understand this thing. And despite the fact that the universe revolves around my brother, she still does what the village doctor tells her to do and eats what she[the doctor] says she should. not surprisingly her sugars, measured only once a week, are often high.
    The only thing that makes this less worrying is that at 94, my mother doesn't probably have enough time to develop many more complications. Her sight is impaired, but not to the level of not being able to read at all. She uses a magnifyer
    Hana

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook