1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How am I doing, do you think?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by mymuk, Jun 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mymuk

mymuk Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is a fantastically useful and helpful place, thanks to you all.

Picked up my blood test results today which look like a good start.

HbA1c was 81 on the 9 March 2020 (the results were given on the 23 March when I was formally diagnosed T2 and started Metformin, etc).

Then it was still 70 on 23 April, after a month of not much action taken on my part other than "trying to avoid potatoes and bread".

At that point I started reading this forum and taking things seriously - then from 16th May I set an arbitrary, not too low, limit of 70g carbs a day (usually well under in practice).

As of now (tested June 15) the A1c is 48. I've also lost 10kg (since March) and am down to 113kg.

I note that the result covers the average of the previous 3 months so, if you disregard the month before I started the current regimen, I reckon I'm probably 44ish? Self-testing is giving an average of 5.4 over the last two weeks and no post meal spikes over 2.0

I'm thinking another month or two and then ask the GP to try dropping the meds and see what happens? I'm not sure if I need to get the Ramipril dose (2.5mg) dropped in any case, as I'm starting to get lightheaded for large parts of the day, and am thinking this is perhaps due to the dose now being too high, given the weight loss.

I also got my lipids, but that's not an area I've looked into as yet so I've no idea if they are good, bad or indifferent.

Cholesterol 2.9 mmol/L
    Triglycerides 1.3 mmol/L
    HDL 0.9 mmol/L
    LDL 1.4 mmol/L
    VLDL 0.6 mmol/L
    Chol/HDL ratio 3.2

• Winner Winner x 8
    #1 mymuk, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:42 PM
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Are you taking a statin? And how long had you fasted before the bloods were taken?

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Are you in the UK? Just asking because it is highly unusual to have VLDL tested. They are the real baddies, but as I said, very few of us have been lucky enough to have this included.

This may answer your question about cholesterol
    https://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

Very well done and congratulations on your HbA1c. Brilliant drop.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mymuk

Yes, an Atorvastatin at night. This was a fasting overnight, nothing after 11pm and test at 9.50am.

5. mymuk

Yes, UK (Glasgow) (it says "calculated" against the LDL and VLDL lines btw).

Useful, so I'm not doing to badly on that front either at the moment. Need to push the HDL level up somehow, will investigate.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    #5 mymuk, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:55 PM
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  6. bulkbiker

Thought so ... total looks very low (possibly too low) and were you 12-14 hours fasted or just the 11 ?

7. mymuk

According to my records it was quite a carby day for me (75g overall) but I had nothing after 6pm apart from a small piece of my rye/barley bread and some cheese at 10:46pm.

8. bulkbiker

Cholesterol can be quite dynamic and with a statin being taken then I'm not sure you can really draw any conclusions from your readings.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mymuk

No doubt, though I'm taking reasonable comfort from things not being as bad as they could be.

10. bulkbiker

Guess you need to define "bad" ... higher cholesterol isn't necessarily "bad" as without any we'd be dead.

Edit to add great progress on the weight loss and HbA1c though which are far more important at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mymuk

I was meaning overall! The HbA1c drop is the main thing I'm thinking of. Not factored lipids into my mental model as yet as I am totally unbothered by the fat in my diet whilst I get my carb loving tendencies sorted. I have always tended to prefer the "better" fats anyway (as well as being a confirmed butter eater).

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Bluetit1802

Your cholesterol total is low, and this is due to the statin plus your low HDL. The HDL is the good cholesterol and needs to be as high as possible, so you do need to do some research on foods that will help. Also it is a known fact that carbs deplete HDL, so do watch the carb intake. My HDL is well over 2mmol/l. As your LDL and triglycerides are good, I would be tempted to discuss with your GP about coming off the statin. (You may also notice your blood glucose reducing as statins can increase this.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mymuk

Useful advice, thanks. I was already planning to do my best to get off the statin asap (or to just stop getting that bit of the prescription, I read @bulkbiker 's thread on this yesterday). I think the next thing I will do is get my full lipid results for the last few tests - I only have these ones as i was walking past the surgery today and thought I may as well ask if my results were in. Usually I just get a generic comment from the nurse - they are not getting away with that from now on...

Research on HDL increases is underway - the aubergines sitting on my counter for tomorrow's lunch look like a fortuitous purchase!

14. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I'd be pretty happy in your shoes with those results. Well done!

I'd not be happy with that low cholesterol level however. And low HDL. Good to hear you are looking into it all.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Excellent work! Just get that cholesterol back up. (Ditching the statins could impact your blood sugars in a very good way too).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Perminder1

Perminder1 · Well-Known Member

HDL good cholesterol max is 5 which is excellent

17. Bluetit1802

According to my lab reports, the HDL range is 1.2 to 3.5.

18. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You're doing great, way better than "standard of care". Well done for taking your health into your own hands rather than accepting the "chronic and progressive" line of thought.

Keep learning and optimising and I would encourage you to go for full remission - forever, with possibly an A1c under 42.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mymuk

Now got the changes for 23 April > 15 June

Cholesterol 3.3 > 2.9
    HDL 0.9 > 0.9
    LDL (calc) 1.3 > 1.4
    VLDL (calc) 1.1 > 0.6
    Chol/HDL ratio 3.7 > 3.2
    Triglycerides 2.3 > 1.3

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook