How can I get my wife to understand diabetes ?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She’s only prediabetic as she is 35kg overweight and has been for 25 years.
do you mean she hasnt had a proper blood test and diagnosis? Not everyone who is pre-diabetic is overweight, and most overweight people are not pre-diabetic.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh for crying out loud, just cooked a batch of beef casserole up, it has carrots, mushrooms. half a red pepper in, just need some greens. How many potato’s do you want with that. Err none, I’ll have a bit of wholemeal bread thanks.
care to expand on this a bit more, I dont quite understand.

rgs2502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Rgs said that his wife is pre-diabetic, and that his readings have come down into the pre-diabetic range and he thinks she thinks he can now stop fussing about them. Which suggests to me that part of the problem is that she is in denial of the fact that her pre-diabetes is a serious condition that needs attention and poses a certain threat. If she admits that he needs to restrict his diet, that means she should too.

That could be a factor indeed.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I asked my husband, after he made me some flapjacks for the umpteenth time of being told not to, if he was willing to push me around in a wheelchair once I had lost my legs. He went a bit quiet, and hasnt bugged me since. Sometimes shock tactics work.

His way of showing love is to cook for me. He cooks all our meals. Rejection of food, to him, was a rejection of love. He now knows that some foods are NOT showing love, but making me special low carb meals is a very good way of demonstrating his love.

My hubby is exactly the same way - God bless him! Very hard for him. but the rest of the family won't say no to all the baking he does - his butter tarts are amazing:)

rgs2502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
do you mean she hasnt had a proper blood test and diagnosis? Not everyone who is pre-diabetic is overweight, and most overweight people are not pre-diabetic.

No just doing herself on my meter with her own lancets. Her measurements are not good but mendable with weight loss whilst mine is due to Pancreatitis so probably not reversible.

rgs2502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m intrigued that I’ve got so much response, of many different flavours. I’m just trying to do what works for me and what avoids spikes, I can’t do eggs every day but do stay 8 with one shredded wheat whereas my previous Oat Crisp low sugar pushed 14 plus

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cooked myself a carb free apart from carrot, steak casserole, and was then asked how many potatoes I wanted with it. None was my answer.
thanks, I read the wholemeal bread bit and thought - but bread is a carb too.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No just doing herself on my meter with her own lancets. Her measurements are not good but mendable with weight loss whilst mine is due to Pancreatitis so probably not reversible.
she may be disappointed. Weight loss may well not do a thing for her blood sugars, its the lower carbs which do the trick. Dieting, while including lots of carbs in that diet, may result in weight loss but its not a given that the two are linked.

There are some on here, like me, who have lost minimal or no weight (and are overweight) but reduced our blood sugars. There are also some on here who have lost all their excess weight, but hardly reduced their blood sugars.

Its not always mendable by weight loss unfortunately.

rgs2502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know from testing that I can tolerate wholemeal but not white bread at all or baguette. A Shredded Wheat is fine for me if a bit boring as I can’t do bacon and egg every morning, and I am supporting us all on a pension now. I don’t need to lose weight.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know from testing that I can tolerate wholemeal but not white bread at all or baguette. A Shredded Wheat is fine for me if a bit boring as I can’t do bacon and egg every morning, and I am supporting us all on a pension now. I don’t need to lose weight.
Yeah, as you can see from my signature at the bottom of my posts, i cant eat rice or pasta, but i can eat wholemeal bread and potatoes.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m very sorry for the super low carb people, at least I can manage with some at the moment at least

Yeah mate, lots of doom and gloom merchants on here.
They are loads of us who lost weight, and reversed diabetes, have a look at the Newcastle diet.
It did the job for me.
It's a good site, but it makes it's coin from selling a low carb diet course apparently, and likes to keep the low carb people pepped up, but once you get past that, that is some good advice on just how to lose weight, and get yourself back onto a normal diet.

No offense to the missus like, but if you say she needs to lose a few pounds, it may tip her back into the good zone.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah mate, lots of doom and gloom merchants on here.
They are loads of us who lost weight, and reversed diabetes, have a look at the Newcastle diet.
It did the job for me.
It's a good site, but it makes it's coin from selling a low carb diet course apparently, and likes to keep the low carb people pepped up, but once you get past that, that is some good advice on just how to lose weight, and get yourself back onto a normal diet.

No offense to the missus like, but if you say she needs to lose a few pounds, it may tip her back into the good zone.

Give it a rest eh Doug!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m very sorry for the super low carb people, at least I can manage with some at the moment at least
Why? We eat freshly prepared, great tasting food that has a minimal impact on our blood sugars.
Sounds quite a good place to be to me..

Reactions: Simon84

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why? We eat freshly prepared, great tasting food that has a minimal impact on our blood sugars.
Sounds quite a good place to be to me..
well, it depends on what foods you loved, I suppose. I love veggies and tomatoes, and many of the foods I loved are no longer available to me. I miss the sugar rushes and the nibbling on salty snacks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never had a sweet tooth, so I don't miss any of the cakes, chocolate or whatever. I went through a bizarre phase where I wanted marshmallows. I mean; marshmallows?

I sorted that out by eventually buying some sugar-free marshmallows, but they turned out to be cloyingly sweet, so I was over that little phase PDQ.

I don't miss salty snacks as I can have plenty of those, albeit not too many Salsa and Mesquite Kettle Chips. The Sunday roast had the most magnificant, slowly rendered crackling which, stored in an airtight box, on kitchen roll, it was fine yesterday. Kale steamed briefly, then laid, seasoned, and put onto a baking sheet, in a 150c oven for a few minutes (maybe 10-15) desiccates beautifully and creates a salty, crispy snack.

I don't have all the same things as before, but they're just different delicious snacks.

There are so many options out there.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Good heavens. Don't waste your time feeling sorry for me.
What a pointless exercise.
You would be far better using that energy transforming your own situation into one that is comfortable and sustainable.

I feel great, enjoy my food and am in better health than during most of my 5 decades.
I also have a MUCH better old age to look forward to than if I had persisted in a diet including carbs that were (visibly, measurably and progressively) harming me.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't feel sorry for me. I love my low carb diet. I eat better now than I have ever done on the Eatwell plate, and enjoy it much more. Real tasty food and much better health and measurable results.. what's not to like !