How can I get my wife to understand diabetes ?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The foods I loved made me ill.. the foods I eat now make me healthy.. bit of a no brainer?
we are talking about how we feel about giving up foods we love, not whether we choose to eat them. I am sad that I cant have cake or chocolate anymore.

And I do have a brain, there is no need to be insulting.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we are talking about how we feel about giving up foods we love, not whether we choose to eat them. I am sad that I cant have cake or chocolate anymore.

And I do have a brain, there is no need to be insulting.
I stand by my point. The foods I used to love made me ill so I stopped eating them. Do I miss them.. no because I have found nicer foods which make me healthier. For me it is a no brainer.. if you feel that's insulting to you I suggest you read what I wrote again.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I was interested to note that when my appetite came back after my recent bout of Man Flu I was craving carbohydrates.

Even though I had eaten low carb on my reduced amount of food, and still have butter/cream/coffee every morning.

Something going on there at a very deep level. Perhaps a genetic response that in times of hunger carbohydrates are a quick fix?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why no chocolate?
Why no cake?
Yes, they can't be the sugar laden versions, but you can get chocolate with low carb content and there are recipes for various very cake like baked things.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No just doing herself on my meter with her own lancets. Her measurements are not good but mendable with weight loss whilst mine is due to Pancreatitis so probably not reversible.
Sorry to hear about the pancreatitis. I imagine that most of us who have a problem dealing with carbs will always have that weakness to bear in mind, but can all the same make our bg readings and our future health better or worse for ourselves. Is there a possibility that your inflamed pancreas might become less inflamed if you can consistently avoid aggravating it?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was interested to note that when my appetite came back after my recent bout of Man Flu I was craving carbohydrates.

Even though I had eaten low carb on my reduced amount of food, and still have butter/cream/coffee every morning.

Something going on there at a very deep level. Perhaps a genetic response that in times of hunger carbohydrates are a quick fix?
Or alternatively something psychological, harking back to the comfort foods of childhood. After all even our very first food, milk, contains lactose.