How can I stop losing weight?

mrjp

More or less on this subject. I've been following a standard NHS diet plan from the Diabetic Nurse at the onset of T2 about 3 months ago. Can do the diet fine, was not over weight about 74Kg. Lost a fair amount of weight by having to cut out the foods that spike the 2hr BG test. Readings are good around 6 mmol/l on waking and being careful 2hr BG readings are in the high 7s or low 8s. Quite pleased really, but how do I stop loosing too much weight? Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds to me like you need to up the amount of fat in your diet, this will add calories without adding carbs. It’s such a fine balancing act isn’t it?

Reactions: Guzzler

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More or less on this subject. I've been following a standard NHS diet plan from the Diabetic Nurse at the onset of T2 about 3 months ago. Can do the diet fine, was not over weight about 74Kg. Lost a fair amount of weight by having to cut out the foods that spike the 2hr BG test. Readings are good around 6 mmol/l on waking and being careful 2hr BG readings are in the high 7s or low 8s. Quite pleased really, but how do I stop loosing too much weight? Thanks
I'm with @Rachox , you want more fats. Try adding some avocado, butter, walnuts/pecans/macadamia's. Those won't spike you. Maybe some additional fatty meat? (Chicken with the skin on, bacon...?)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
How much weight is a fair bit?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hello mrjp,
Like you I was not overweight at diagnosis ( prediabetic) took on board all the advice about low carb, high fat and lost over two stone in a year.
Few months ago read somewhere that naturally slim people don't store or use fat efficiently, so for them the answer to weight loss is to increase both fat and protein. Since increasing protein intake my weight loss has almost stopped. Currently one week up and another down. So getting there.
You have done well with BG control, weight control will happen as well.

Reactions: Guzzler

mrjp

Many thanks to all for such useful info, makes sense too. Trouble can be finding a route through all this that works for you. Early days really and haven't let it get too much on top of me as yet.High reading do make you look for a better way or wiser food choice. The NHS diet mentions bread, toast, porridge, and a whole list of foods that cause high 2hr readings possibly under 10mmol/l so perhaps not that bad, but I can do better.

mrjp

I'm with @Rachox , you want more fats. Try adding some avocado, butter, walnuts/pecans/macadamia's. Those won't spike you. Maybe some additional fatty meat? (Chicken with the skin on, bacon...?)

Thanks for the link, really interesting to read. Very much a trial and error process, will certainly try these alternative options. Great info thanks.

mrjp

Hello mrjp,
Like you I was not overweight at diagnosis ( prediabetic) took on board all the advice about low carb, high fat and lost over two stone in a year.
Few months ago read somewhere that naturally slim people don't store or use fat efficiently, so for them the answer to weight loss is to increase both fat and protein. Since increasing protein intake my weight loss has almost stopped. Currently one week up and another down. So getting there.
You have done well with BG control, weight control will happen as well.

It seems that everything is individual, one fix doesn’t work for all and didn’t know about the fat issue. Will try a few alternative additions and test the results. Exercise does make a big difference too walking about 30/45 mins a day especially after meals if possible. Sitting about is really not helpful, I blame retirement and childminding grandchildren.