How did your doctor tell you?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I walked into the doctors consulting room and said hello it was our first meeting he said hello grabbed my hand stuck a needle in my finger took a reading and said that's a bit high. Here's a prescription for metformin, I said oh so I am diabetic his reply well you were last January so yes I suppose you still are. My previous doctor had maintained steadfastly for the previous two years that I was not.

It still rankles.
Unbelievable! (But of course I do believe it.)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to my GP after gastric flu, they took a urine sample, declared it to be “golden syrup”, said my pancreas was knackered and I had to go to hospital because I had type one diabetes. Don’t think my feet touched the ground...
They should all be struck off! Seriously!!!

Reactions: LooperCat

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Raised prescription for needles and test strips
You do realise test strips on the NHS are like gold dust / hens' teeth? OK, they made a mess of telling you, but they came good in the end. I'm a pragmatist - I'd rather have free strips than tactful words!

Reactions: jos64

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had - as I thought, a blood test for my thyroid levels.
The phone rang and the doctor told me that he'd like to see me for a follow up but nothing was wrong. Ten days later he told me that I had diabetes, very badly - gave me a prescription for Metformin and Atorvastatin, and that was the last I saw of him.
I still - as far as I know, not had a test for my thyroid levels.
Thank goodness you are highly capable of looking after yourself, (since your doctor is clearly incapable of looking after you) and had the wit to dump the statin.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He said "You have type 2 diabetes. Here's a prescription for metformin. Come back in 3 months. Bye."
I could have done better than that! How come s/he gets a generous GP salary and I don't?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is the matter with health professionals? Why are so many lacking in simple compassion? Why are quite a lot seemingly even sadistic? An elderly running friend of mine recently came down with Parkinson's. He was in a bad way, falling all over the place, in hospital. A doctor said to him, "I see you are a runner. Well, you won't be doing any more running!" If I had that doctor in front of me, I think I might kill him. I'd certainly like to ban him from ever again working in medicine.

Janetgriff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't know I was Diabetic. I had a blood test for a cough which wouldn't go away. Rang for results and receptionist told me 'type 2 Diabetes patient unaware'. Well I sure was aware then. Shocked and appalled to find out like that

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got a phone call from the receptionist after a 'routine blood test', "You've got progressive diabetes. Make an appointment for another blood test in 6 weeks and an appointment to see the GP a week after that."

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I self diagnosed myself and booked a gp appointment, when I arrived for said appointment I saw a nurse and not a doctor who took bloods, I later received a phone call from the receptionist informing me I was diabetic. I then arranged to see gp who when I turned up for appointment first off wanted to know why I was there and then said I was diabetic in a very bad way and said I needed Gliclazide and Metformin, when I asked questions about my diagnosis I was told that this was only a 5 min appointment and she didn't have time to explain things to me, but she said it was all about portion control??? So this left me feeling confused and very angry about the way I was treated. I then scoured the internet and settled on this site. After my next hbac1 my gp was full of praise about my results, she said she had not seen such a good change in results before, she was all smiles etc until I told her I had ignored the nhs advice and had not taken the Gliclazide and rarely taken the Metformin but had instead embraced the lchf diet. During a later appointment with new DN after explaining what I had done she said that if she was ever diagnosed she would do the same.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reading all these stories is quite sad. I think that because diabetes is always in the media and seen as very 'common', the GPs translate that to mean anyone being diagnosed with it should just be able to accept the diagnosis immediately and what's the problem! Even newly diagnosed type 1s are sent off casually with insulin (which will keep them alive) and with virtually no idea what they are supposed to do (other than jab the needle in), no information on what to eat, how to manage, how to interpret the readings, etc. To be fair they do phone you every few days in the weeks that follow but by God, you are on your own initially. I wonder if any people diagnosed with other serious diseases get the same treatment? I know we can't expect to be babysat for ever but this cannot be right.

Eve_line

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Reading all these stories is quite sad. I think that because diabetes is always in the media and seen as very 'common', the GPs translate that to mean anyone being diagnosed with it should just be able to accept the diagnosis immediately and what's the problem! Even newly diagnosed type 1s are sent off casually with insulin (which will keep them alive) and with virtually no idea what they are supposed to do (other than jab the needle in), no information on what to eat, how to manage, how to interpret the readings, etc. To be fair they do phone you every few days in the weeks that follow but by God, you are on your own initially. I wonder if any people diagnosed with other serious diseases get the same treatment? I know we can't expect to be babysat for ever but this cannot be right.

Yes Ive asked myself that question as well! One time I read an article from a doctor who said he'd rather be diagnosed with HIV than diabetes beccause HIV is so well controlled now with meds. I started thinking; hum would my doctor break the news the same way if i had HIV? Something tells me; no.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I am sad to find out there are a lot of doctors who lack tact and are quite inconsiderate and casual about it. At the same time, reading this helped me to release a bit of my frustration about it, seeing how it is common.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Ive asked myself that question as well! One time I read an article from a doctor who said he'd rather be diagnosed with HIV than diabetes beccause HIV is so well controlled now with meds.
Wow!

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Well, your blood pressure is spot on, your cholesterol is brilliant, with lots of the good stuff, but you have Type 2 diabetes. See what you can do with diet and exercise and get another blood test in three months." That was it. I've self-funded a foot check, will ask for retinopathy check at up-coming yearly eye check (again self-funded) and have badgered for six-month bloods in April. I tend to be fairly 'upper-lippish' about things so this approach probably worked for me and my first hbA1c wasn't high (nor did I have high bp or cholesterol), but for others it would have left them absolutely at a loss. Dr Google brought me to this Forum, with its amazing information and support. I can't believe how badly other members have been treated on diagnosis.

Edited to add: the podiatrist I saw, who was great, thought that everyone at age 50 should have a complete (and mandatory - not sure how that would work!) MoT, including an MRI scan and especially bloods for everything. There are, or were, well man/woman checks but I think they were very hit-and-miss. I wonder how much money the NHS would save on future medication, treatment etc, just taking into account early diabetes diagnoses, if these MoTs were in place. She said "this country does not do well with promoting preventative measures". Too right.

Last edited:

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Six years ago, I got a call at work from my GP to be told I tested "borderline" for diabetes and will need to have further tests. I had no idea what this meant. With a type 1.5 Dad and type 1 Gran I knew nothing about type 2 and assumed the worst of what I remembered as a child.

Thank goodness for dr google and this forum for putting my mind at rest.

Reactions: rom35

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a general feeling out there that you bring this upon yourself. For type 2s anyway. Medical people can be just as biased as the rest. I had been going to podiatrist privately for years and when I told her about my diagnosis she shook her head sadlyand told me it was a lifestyle disease.

Reactions: Brihtric

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a general feeling out there that you bring this upon yourself. For type 2s anyway. Medical people can be just as biased as the rest. I had been going to podiatrist privately for years and when I told her about my diagnosis she shook her head sadlyand told me it was a lifestyle disease.
Just seen a friend I've haven't seen for a while, explained how all the low fat dieting hadn't probably helped me in the long run as my gestational diabetes from years ago has now developed into type2. She still called my diagnosis a 'wake up call'. It was indeed a wake up call that all my efforts had only made me fatter and not prevented type 2 - however I do feel she just meant 'wake up call' in that I was just fat and lazy, and now look what I'd got as a result.

Reactions: deb1960

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just seen a friend I've haven't seen for a while, explained how all the low fat dieting hadn't probably helped me in the long run as my gestational diabetes from years ago has now developed into type2. She still called my diagnosis a 'wake up call'. It was indeed a wake up call that all my efforts had only made me fatter and not prevented type 2 - however I do feel she just meant 'wake up call' in that I was just fat and lazy, and now look what I'd got as a result.
It could make you mad only I know that getting stressed is bad for my BG so I just dont want to indulge them!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd been PreD and low carb for about 15 years (probably longer, but that was the first time I was checked as part of other investigations).
I didn't know they were supposed to be annual, or I would have asked for them.

I knew my health had deteriorated, and I felt pretty **** so I asked for a glucose tolerance test,
the experience was pretty unpleasant, massive headache, 2 days off work since I couldn't drive or use a computer because I couldn't focus.
Result was a score of 11 after 2 and a quarter hours because they mucked up the timings. (you get diagnosed with T2 if you are 11.1 or higher, so if they had taken the test at 2 hours, I would have got the diagnosis)

Was told 'No, you aren't D. Here is a diet sheet (9 portions of carbs a day please. Fruit is good for you!) and we will see you in a year for another test. This was how I knew that I should have been tested 15 times in the last 15 years, not 3 times.

So I went home. Found this forum, and sorted myself out. Went even lower carb. Got a self funded glucometer. Ate to my meter. Got 2 dogs and walk them. Take appropriate supplements.

I got called in for another glucose tolerance test, and politely refused, explaining that the last one had made me ill, so they did fasting bg tests (both were over 7 so I should have been diagnosed on those results, but no, 'we only diagnose with an HbA1c'.
And since my HbA1c is v controlled (via low carbing) it is low enough not to be PreD, so they just dismiss the idea that I might be diabetic.

As a result, I'm not on the diabetic register, don't get eye tests, foot tests, regular HbA1cs, or any other NHS support.
They have stopped calling me in for fasting glucose tests, HbA1cs and stopped asking me to take glucose tolerance tests.
On my records there is plenty of evidence that I used to be PreD.
But the last chat I had with a doc, he said 'No I won't discuss blood glucose with you. Your records don't give me cause for concern.'

As a result my diabetes is completely invisible to the NHS, and I bear total responsibility for monitoring my bg and controlling it.

Incidently, I have 2 other health conditions which make T2 a huge likelihood, yet no one seems to have connected those dots.

Do I feel let down?
Yup.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd been PreD and low carb for about 15 years (probably longer, but that was the first time I was checked as part of other investigations).
I didn't know they were supposed to be annual, or I would have asked for them.

I knew my health had deteriorated, and I felt pretty **** so I asked for a glucose tolerance test,
the experience was pretty unpleasant, massive headache, 2 days off work since I couldn't drive or use a computer because I couldn't focus.
Result was a score of 11 after 2 and a quarter hours because they mucked up the timings. (you get diagnosed with T2 if you are 11.1 or higher, so if they had taken the test at 2 hours, I would have got the diagnosis)

Was told 'No, you aren't D. Here is a diet sheet (9 portions of carbs a day please. Fruit is good for you!) and we will see you in a year for another test. This was how I knew that I should have been tested 15 times in the last 15 years, not 3 times.

So I went home. Found this forum, and sorted myself out. Went even lower carb. Got a self funded glucometer. Ate to my meter. Got 2 dogs and walk them. Take appropriate supplements.

I got called in for another glucose tolerance test, and politely refused, explaining that the last one had made me ill, so they did fasting bg tests (both were over 7 so I should have been diagnosed on those results, but no, 'we only diagnose with an HbA1c'.
And since my HbA1c is v controlled (via low carbing) it is low enough not to be PreD, so they just dismiss the idea that I might be diabetic.

As a result, I'm not on the diabetic register, don't get eye tests, foot tests, regular HbA1cs, or any other NHS support.
They have stopped calling me in for fasting glucose tests, HbA1cs and stopped asking me to take glucose tolerance tests.
On my records there is plenty of evidence that I used to be PreD.
But the last chat I had with a doc, he said 'No I won't discuss blood glucose with you. Your records don't give me cause for concern.'

As a result my diabetes is completely invisible to the NHS, and I bear total responsibility for monitoring my bg and controlling it.

Incidently, I have 2 other health conditions which make T2 a huge likelihood, yet no one seems to have connected those dots.

Do I feel let down?
Yup.
There are just too many similar stories on here. I look back to the bleeding gums, tooth infection, fungal skin infections, and see the fairly obvious signs that I was developing a problem. If I had realised sooner, I would have gone to my doctor, who would have done absolutely nothing, except tell me I was okay.

Reactions: Alexandra100

Anfalas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got told over the bloody phone, basically you have diabetes take metfaorming make an appointment. They all need bloody sensitivity training