How did your doctor tell you?

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I told my doc I had it, then I had 2 lots of tests to confirm, then I had to go back to docs 2 days later so I could discuss with her how I felt about it.

sharpe5000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I lost a small patch of hair in an unusual spot when I was 22 years old. I got blood tests done at my local GP and received a phone call the next day. The tone in the voice was serious, they wouldn't tell me over the phone which honestly just made me think cancer. I get there and after being told to sit down and me frantically asking questions, he says I have diabetes! Quick and to the point whilst being fairly sympathetic. I was in complete shock given my sporting background and health and was near on silent for 24 hours. Nothing wrong with me for 22 years and wham.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eve_line

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
To be fair I was only right borderline any way and I have told them it's ok to text results in the past for various things. Been with my gp for like ever and she knows I'm ok with straight out simple truth so I didint take it offensively at all. I made follow up appt later to discuss in person and really was ok with the whole situation. Gave me time to think about before asked questions for me personally was better than been put in the spot with it but can see how some wouldint appreciate any news been delivered that way

Reactions: Antje77

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be fair I was only right borderline any way and I have told them it's ok to text results in the past for various things. Been with my gp for like ever and she knows I'm ok with straight out simple truth so I didint take it offensively at all. I made follow up appt later to discuss in person and really was ok with the whole situation. Gave me time to think about before asked questions for me personally was better than been put in the spot with it but can see how some wouldint appreciate any news been delivered that way
Ah. I see. So, at least you were forewarned.

Jenmy

My dr phoned me and told me and said there is a prescription at reception for you to pick up. That was it. No offer of an appointment with nurse or anything for advice. Needless to say I changed to a different surgery.

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Ah. I see. So, at least you were forewarned.
Yea for me it was a good way- I mean we are the client I think is important your clear on how you expect to receive information and any thing else you expect prior - at minimum at the point of dissatisfaction. Guess every one is different in how they like to be delivered things /take things and end of the day no one can front runner your own health like you can--I would never feel rude or cheaky in asking questions or wanting follow ups/support till I'm satisfied. I'm a pretty easy customer but I defantly don't rely on my gp to know all the questions I havint asked.

Reactions: dbr10

Jvsingh101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Because it's very common disease in UK. My GP told me that 1 in 5 people have T2 in UK. Can you imagine how many people that are dealing with every day? Even though they can be a bit polite and sympathetic to every individual as people react differently. I pushed my GP for test because my symptoms were same as mentioned above. After all the test ( which was 12/13) sugar level. They gave me meter and medicine. But still after 6 months on my records show " potentially T2 diabetic" that's how slow they can be. All I want to say is try to relax and research by yourself and manage your T2 diabetic as either they don't bother or they don't have time. Good luck all for good health. Sorry for long waiting.

Reactions: Eve_line

Lulu2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She was going over my blood work and very bluntly said, you have diabetes. She gave me a little advice on how to eat (the plate method), wrote me a script, said to attend a diabetic class, and see you in 3 months.

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP told following a series of routine blood tests, the first being done because I had the dreaded flu with sepsis in January 2018, and she wanted to rule out anything else amiss. Everything was OK except my BG levels were way up - she even said 'WOW'. (Especially so as blood test 6 months earlier had all in the normal range)

She asked what I had before the blood test, and told her I had drank Ribena earlier in the day and then decided she wanted to rule out possible diabetes.

so she sent me off for 2nd fasting blood test, which confirmed elevated levels of 98, then a third test came back at 71.

She was quite helpful in advising me that some life style choices will have to be made and that medication may be prescribed, but she would do some further delving before prescribing anything for me and would make an appointment for me with Diabetic Nurse.

It is after the confirmation and follow up appointments with other professionals that I have found challenging for my sanity.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
How did I find out? When I arrived at the doctor's to discuss the results of a blood test, I discovered I'd been booked in to see the nurse too. I was called to see the nurse first. I was barely through the door when she barked "take off your shoes and socks and get on the scales!" When I asked why, she said, in a (duh! sort of tone), "because you're diabetic!"

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My diagnosing GP sent me for some blood tests after I presented with sympoms of extreme thirst, constant need to pee and bizarrely the sudden loss of about a stone and a half in weight. That was about the only positive thing he did. He told me that anything over an HbA1C of 48 was indicative of diabetes. Mine was 111. Then he wanted to prescribe me a gazillion tablets!

We settled on Metformin standard release and when I went back to get the Freestyle Libre certificate signed to fly with supplies and to ask to be put on the slow release after a few tummy trubs once I got to 3 a day, he told me I was wasting my money self-testing, to take his tablets and to stop being proactive.

I have since gone back to a different partner at the practice who actually was impressed I got down to pre-diabetic levels in 9 months and has been really supportive given he can't prescribe anything for me to self-test. Think he's a keeper!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I wonder how much money the NHS would save on future medication, treatment etc, just taking into account early diabetes diagnoses, if these MoTs were in place. She said "this country does not do well with promoting preventative measures". Too right.
They would save nothing because they would continue to give advice that worsens the condition and would carry on prescribing drugs that are for many unnecessary anyway.

Reactions: dbr10

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine didn't tell me - I worked it out myself. Had a general blood test as my blood pressure was raised at a routine appt - I was phoned to say it needed repeating in a fortnight. I picked up the paperwork and saw HbA1c on it. Hubby has T1 - so went straight home and tested on his spare kit. Saw the 10 point something and freaked out. By the time I had the repeat blood test done and saw the nurse 3 weeks later I'd been testing and eating low carb consistently - and had brought FBG down from 11 to 6ish. I told her I was T2 - and what I had done about it.

Reactions: rom35 and dbr10

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
the podiatrist I saw, who was great, thought that everyone at age 50 should have a complete (and mandatory - not sure how that would work!) MoT, including an MRI scan and especially bloods for everything. There are, or were, well man/woman checks but I think they were very hit-and-miss

These were tried for a while in most NHS clinics but were found to be a waste of time. Those who took up the appointments were the 'worried well', not the target audience at all. As for mandatory, the last time i looked we lived in a democracy and were able to exercise our own free will.........I'd hate to be one of her patients.......:);)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These were tried for a while in most NHS clinics but were found to be a waste of time. Those who took up the appointments were the 'worried well', not the target audience at all. As for mandatory, the last time i looked we lived in a democracy and were able to exercise our own free will.........I'd hate to be one of her patients.......:);)
Actually, she was very thorough and very pleasant. I think her thoughts on mandatory testing were in response to a complete lack of care for those with diabetes from some GPs and surgeries - she was rather angry about it all! Have to say I was surprised by her view :wideyed: Of course we live in a democracy and you can't make people have tests, and mandatory testing will never happen which is a good thing (it has sinister/negative connotations for a start). In regard to the 'worried well', I wouldn't put those who take up bowel and breast cancer screening appointments as that - I certainly don't count myself as a 'worried well' - but it seems a shame that people don't take advantage of these tests if they are on offer. On the other hand, there are many valid reasons as to why people don't.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't put those who take up bowel and breast cancer screening appointments as that -

But these aren't what we were originally talking about. What I mentioned was the 'MOTs' which were supposed to be offered to everyone at age 50. The uptake was terrible! Also it has been proven that testing just for the sake of it, without being research based is quite pointless.

Blossom1977

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It may sound like an unimportant question but I am curious how the doctor broke the news to you that you have diabetes. I wonder if my experience is exceptional or normal..

I am still feeling a bit upset because she was extremely careless and unempathetic. I came there to discuss my blood results because of my hair loss. And she didn't even discuss that or knew that could be a symptom of diabetes (i asked and she said she didnt know, another doctor ordered tests for several things to see what could cause my hair loss, appearantly that doctor did think about diabetes?) Anyway i sat down and she just said "you have Sugar disease". Now i am also annoyed at that term, like isn't she a doctor? Call it diabetes please. Then she said normally they would do 2 test but with such a numbers it has to be diabetes. Even the way she spoke , very cheerful, made me think that after the "normally we do 2 tests but with such a numbers....." she would say: it's probably not diabetes. (eventhough she already said it but i guess my mind wasnt progressing that) . Her message, and her tone didn't match at all. She also didn't mention the type, just told me to make appointment at diabetic nurse.. that's it. Then i came home, googled, and i felt the world fell apart... why are they saying it like it is nothing? It's a chronic disease, im 31 years old and have to deal with this for the rest of my life. Why not say "excuse me to tell you this and it can be a shock but you have diabetes type 2, with good diet and lifestyle you can get it under control, it is serious but it doesn't have to lead to complications'.

I don t know why it bugs me so much.. does anyone relate or understands?

My story is almost exactly the same as yours. My doctor just started talking about diabetes. I stopped her and said, hold on a minute, are you saying I’m diabetic. She said “yes! Don’t you know”. I said that I didn’t know and she said “well you must be in denial then” I said, I’m not in denial, no one told me I was diabetic. I’ve had not much help at all since then. But have managed to lower my blood sugar levels myself busy diet alone. I did all my research in this forum and online

Lezils

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was told my results were 9 and that I was diabetic, and don’t eat fruit??! Still floundering, don’t know what to do for the best, all my research suggests low carb, but I now read that low carb can cause damage to my eyes??