How did your doctor tell you?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd been PreD and low carb for about 15 years (probably longer, but that was the first time I was checked as part of other investigations).
I didn't know they were supposed to be annual, or I would have asked for them.

I knew my health had deteriorated, and I felt pretty **** so I asked for a glucose tolerance test,
the experience was pretty unpleasant, massive headache, 2 days off work since I couldn't drive or use a computer because I couldn't focus.
Result was a score of 11 after 2 and a quarter hours because they mucked up the timings. (you get diagnosed with T2 if you are 11.1 or higher, so if they had taken the test at 2 hours, I would have got the diagnosis)

Was told 'No, you aren't D. Here is a diet sheet (9 portions of carbs a day please. Fruit is good for you!) and we will see you in a year for another test. This was how I knew that I should have been tested 15 times in the last 15 years, not 3 times.

So I went home. Found this forum, and sorted myself out. Went even lower carb. Got a self funded glucometer. Ate to my meter. Got 2 dogs and walk them. Take appropriate supplements.

I got called in for another glucose tolerance test, and politely refused, explaining that the last one had made me ill, so they did fasting bg tests (both were over 7 so I should have been diagnosed on those results, but no, 'we only diagnose with an HbA1c'.
And since my HbA1c is v controlled (via low carbing) it is low enough not to be PreD, so they just dismiss the idea that I might be diabetic.

As a result, I'm not on the diabetic register, don't get eye tests, foot tests, regular HbA1cs, or any other NHS support.
They have stopped calling me in for fasting glucose tests, HbA1cs and stopped asking me to take glucose tolerance tests.
On my records there is plenty of evidence that I used to be PreD.
But the last chat I had with a doc, he said 'No I won't discuss blood glucose with you. Your records don't give me cause for concern.'

As a result my diabetes is completely invisible to the NHS, and I bear total responsibility for monitoring my bg and controlling it.

Incidently, I have 2 other health conditions which make T2 a huge likelihood, yet no one seems to have connected those dots.

Do I feel let down?
Yup.
Brunneria, so basically they are almost forcing you to give up your low carb approach, wait a few months until you are ill with raised glucose levels and when they go high enough to warrant the Doctor's attention, they just might diagnose you with what you already know? that is truly ridiculous. I do wonder how many others are in the same position, by that reckoning all of us who keep their levels low through low carb can be whipped straight off the list?

Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria, so basically they are almost forcing you to give up your low carb approach, wait a few months until you are ill with raised glucose levels and when they go high enough to warrant the Doctor's attention, they just might diagnose you with what you already know? that is truly ridiculous. I do wonder how many others are in the same position, by that reckoning all of us who keep their levels low through low carb can be whipped straight off the list?

Absolutely spot on!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My experience with my GP is unusual obviously compared to everyone else in that it was good - it was the hospital that was flaming awful! I got regular tests anyway following spinal surgery after a serious RTA 3 years previously. I wasn't diabetic at the time of the accident. Before Christmas about a year after the surgery I visited my GP and mentioned that something wasn't right. I wasn't sure what but to be honest I suspected a UTI. He immediately organised full battery of tests. He telephoned me the following morning to tell me yes I did have a slight infection but I was also Type II. HbA1c 14.9 cholesterol 7.7. Could I come in for a chat so we could plan what to do? He was surprised by my reaction which was "oh , is that all? Well we'll deal with it".
I was given a meter and strips at our chat later that day plus a prescription for more strips and lancets. No meds. He recommended I make diet changes. My problem was I was still not very mobile after the spinal surgery so I'd gained a lot of weight (probably what caused the diabetes). He suggested trying the South Beach diet which particularly in Phase 1 is pretty low in carbs. They still saw me regularly due to my other issues but I was required to wait for a hospital diabetic clinic 3 months later before anything further was done. My GP also got me sorted out with physio at home to improve my mobility. 3 months later I'd lost weight and was down to 9.1. Can't remember the cholesterol but that was down too. Hospital appointment was a waste of time - you're diabetic, here's Metformin and simvastatin go away and come back in 3 months. He was less than pleased at me questioning why when I'd already reduced it with diet. He reluctantly told me to book into a hospital course which was also a waste of time as it consisted of normal NHS diet information and that plate.
My own GP was the one who convinced me to take the meds saying that although I was doing well with diet he would rather we try to get the BGs down quicker and we'll review later. One more hospital appointment later and they agreed I could be allowed to go to my GPs diabetic clinic which is excellent by the way. I continue to lose weight, I can exercise a bit and my diabetic and BP meds have been substantially reduced. My strips are prescribed without question and GP is pro low carb although he has to record it as we discuss diet and we agree on "What works for me".

Reactions: DJC3 and Brunneria

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I had a locum tell me. He seemd to be finding something very amusing throughout the conversation. It only occurred to me much later that my first results were very high, and he must have expected me to be as big as a house -only to find I was a size 12.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
I was told at a medical for my driving license that I could be diabetic they gave me letter for my doctor who got me to make an appointment for the nurse and after 3 appointments and 8 weeks later was abruptly told by the the nurse I was diabetic

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
46 years ago at age 6. Really cant remember lol. Cant remember what happened yesterday! :D

Reactions: DJC3 and bigjim19

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd been PreD and low carb for about 15 years (probably longer, but that was the first time I was checked as part of other investigations).
I didn't know they were supposed to be annual, or I would have asked for them.

I knew my health had deteriorated, and I felt pretty **** so I asked for a glucose tolerance test,
the experience was pretty unpleasant, massive headache, 2 days off work since I couldn't drive or use a computer because I couldn't focus.
Result was a score of 11 after 2 and a quarter hours because they mucked up the timings. (you get diagnosed with T2 if you are 11.1 or higher, so if they had taken the test at 2 hours, I would have got the diagnosis)

Was told 'No, you aren't D. Here is a diet sheet (9 portions of carbs a day please. Fruit is good for you!) and we will see you in a year for another test. This was how I knew that I should have been tested 15 times in the last 15 years, not 3 times.

So I went home. Found this forum, and sorted myself out. Went even lower carb. Got a self funded glucometer. Ate to my meter. Got 2 dogs and walk them. Take appropriate supplements.

I got called in for another glucose tolerance test, and politely refused, explaining that the last one had made me ill, so they did fasting bg tests (both were over 7 so I should have been diagnosed on those results, but no, 'we only diagnose with an HbA1c'.
And since my HbA1c is v controlled (via low carbing) it is low enough not to be PreD, so they just dismiss the idea that I might be diabetic.

As a result, I'm not on the diabetic register, don't get eye tests, foot tests, regular HbA1cs, or any other NHS support.
They have stopped calling me in for fasting glucose tests, HbA1cs and stopped asking me to take glucose tolerance tests.
On my records there is plenty of evidence that I used to be PreD.
But the last chat I had with a doc, he said 'No I won't discuss blood glucose with you. Your records don't give me cause for concern.'

As a result my diabetes is completely invisible to the NHS, and I bear total responsibility for monitoring my bg and controlling it.

Incidently, I have 2 other health conditions which make T2 a huge likelihood, yet no one seems to have connected those dots.

Do I feel let down?
Yup.
Could you possibly move to another GP practice?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a general feeling out there that you bring this upon yourself. For type 2s anyway. Medical people can be just as biased as the rest. I had been going to podiatrist privately for years and when I told her about my diagnosis she shook her head sadlyand told me it was a lifestyle disease.
As the philospher Wittgenstein famously said, "If you don't know what you're talking about, shut the f....k up!" Or words to that effect. I hereby authorise you to quote Wittgengstein to any numbskull like your podiatrist that you may encounter.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you possibly move to another GP practice?

I did. :D And complained.
But I arrived at the new practice with an HbA1c of below 40, so they haven't contacted me for monitoring at all.
Plus, with prick tests and Libre showing numbers below PreD, that HbA1c, and a very low carb lifestyle - which I plan to maintain for the rest of my life (since it benefits me in ways far beyond my T2), I simply can't be bothered to start the battle again with the new practice. Even 'carbing up' for a glucose tolerance test would be a week of feeling like death.
:)

I get annual Endocrinology appts (not for diabetes), and have discussed the situation in depth with him.
His view is that I should 'carry on doing what I am doing' and if it ever stops working, get down to the doctors and push HARD for the whole gamut of tests.

Til then... he thinks I am doing great. :D

@Eve_line apologies - I did not intend to derail your thread like this. I only gave my story as an example of how ppl sometimes don't get diagnosed at all. Will stop derailing now. :)

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I arrived at the new practice with an HbA1c of below 40, so they haven't contacted me for monitoring at all.
Plus, with prick tests and Libre showing numbers below PreD, that HbA1c, and a very low carb lifestyle - which I plan to maintain for the rest of my life (since it benefits me in ways far beyond my T2), I simply can't be bothered to start the battle again with the new practice. Even 'carbing up' for a glucose tolerance test would be a week of feeling like death.

I get annual Endocrinology appts, and have discussed the situation in depth with him.
His view is that I should 'carry on doing what I am doing' and if it ever stops working, get down to the doctors and push HARD for the whole gamut of tests.

@Eve_line apologies - I did not intend to derail your thread like this. I only gave my story as an example of how ppl sometimes don't get diagnosed at all. Will stop derailing now. :)
What strikes me reading this thread and especially your experience Brunneria is the inconsistency among different medical people who you encounter after diagnosis. I cant think of another chronic lifetime illness where this happens. So much for “trust me I’m a doctor”.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Gee, some horror stories here. I must be one of the few lucky ones with a fantastic GP. I suspected a problem but didn't know what it was. My spectacles prescription kept changing all the time, peeing like I'd been in the pub for a week and losing weight faster than I thought I should be. Saw my GP, told him what I'd noticed and that I thought I'd check it out. He grabbed a finger, pricked it and measured it with his meter. Nearly fell off his chair. My BG was 22.5 and he said that he didn't know how long I'd been like this but I was now a T2 diabetic. Wanted me to come back the next day for a fasting test which returned 15.5 and a HbA1C of 9.5.

Gave me a script for Metformin and made an appointment with the diabetes educator at the hospital and said to come back and see him after I see them and he'll work out a plan for me.
Glenn

Eve_line

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I get annual Endocrinology appts, and have discussed the situation in depth with him.

of course no problem!! that's what i like, to read experiences.. i followed your story with interest.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I had a locum tell me. He seemd to be finding something very amusing throughout the conversation. It only occurred to me much later that my first results were very high, and he must have expected me to be as big as a house -only to find I was a size 12.
:(

thomarn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He said "You have type 2 diabetes. Here's a prescription for metformin. Come back in 3 months. Bye."

That's about it what my GP told me. "Keep your BG between 5 and 7". Didn't know what that meant until I looked it up online.

Reactions: dbr10

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
That's about it what my GP told me. "Keep your BG between 5 and 7". Didn't know what that meant until I looked it up online.
I didn't even get that much. However, I think it turned out for the best because I eventually realized that I'd better figure it out for myself. I bought a book about type 2 and a glucometer and joined this forum.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And you can only do that without a meter if you're psychic.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had a test for help with loosing weight in hopes that my failure was medical (I now know it is.) So when I got a letter to go In, I didn't know the urgency. Went to see a nurse about having an injection for birth control and she said "Oh, I'm glad it's me you've seen. We think you have diabetes. We need you to go have another blood test." No cushioning. Nothing. She then said anything over 5grams of sugar is high sugar. I went researching. Strawberries are 6.1 grams per hundred. I cried. The next week I asked loads of questions, at no point did she tell me it's actually carbs I needed to be wary of, until appointment 4.
I then struggled for a full year until I happened to be working at a clinic that had diabetes nurses who came in and I mentioned that it's annoying that there's no courses for this. She looked at me with serious eyes and said "there is." And gave me the phone number for the x-pert course. If I didn't work for the nhs through agency admin, I wouldn't have known.

Reactions: Fit725 and dbr10