How DO they do it???

hornplayer

Over the last couple of weeks I have started experimenting with the sorts of foods I can eat. (Usual diet is less than 50g carbs a day) Anything with any sort of grain, starch, or, not surprisingly, sugar, sends my blood sugar sky high. So much so that I'm abandoning experiments for the time being.

My question is this.

How do people even begin to control their blood sugar while eating a "normal" diet? - A medically recommended diet. - How do they eat "healthy carbs"??

Keep seeing mention of biscuits, bread, even lime key pie, on the forum. - all I would have to do is look at a slice of bread and my sugars would spike!

Why is this?

I can understand T1's being able to eat that sort of thing, if they choose to, but the post seem to be coming from T2's.

What am I missing?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, i make cookies most weekends or cakes cheesecakes pound cakes etc, but i use almond flour or coconut flour, its become a hobby seeing if i can make deeserts that are low carb, i trawl the net for recipes, im finally getting to grips with some breads, they are tough to make nice but im getting there, i cant look at carbs either as per last nights post which im still upset about, 2 slices of wholemeal didnt agree with me at all

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The normal government recommended low fat diet would send my B into the Stratosphere
Hana

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess it comes down to how the individual reacts to carbs. Everyone has different metabolic rates, insulin sensitivity, exercise routines etc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hornplayer said:
How do people even begin to control their blood sugar while eating a "normal" diet? - A medically recommended diet. - How do they eat "healthy carbs"??

Some time after I was diagnosed I got a suspicion about the diet sheet handouts that I got from the surgery. I felt that the two sheets possibly contradicted each other and were therefore confusing. I decided to take some time and compare them so that I could ask my nurse questions about the things they clashed on.

It took about two minuted to notice that one of them was published by the British Hypertension Society and the other was locally produced and entitled, "A diet to lower your cholesterol".

Nothing about diabetes then and there hasn't been since.

I suspected that the dietary advice I had been given was a load of boot repairers. This gave me a free hand to do my own thing and I haven't looked back since I got that diddy little meter.

I don't know what a healthy carb is. It sounds like the sort of phrase I would snow a child with if I didn't know what I was talking about.