how do you accept it?

Dislikes
Man Utd, racism and bullying.
I have been a Type 1 for 32 years and you get more guidance and have more flexibility than "counting lines" and the thought of taking neat sugar was meant to bring you out in a rash. I am 47 now and recently re-discovered running. I am on a pump and i am fitter now than I have been for about 10 years. I am a member of a running club and am doing a half marathon this sunday. Life could be a lot more limiting with other conditions. I have taught pupils who are a lot more dependent on others than a diabetic. it is degenerative but new medication can limit the effects . Try and not let Diabetes dictate your life. You are diabetic and you are intrinsically linked with it. however it is only part of you and you are more than a diabetic!!
mark

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I had been doing pretty well....until I burst into tears in Waitrose today trying to find some carbs I can eat.

I had some rice, just a cup full cooked, yesterday and my bs went up to 8.5 after 2 hours!!!!

Defren

lucylocket61 said:
I thought I had been doing pretty well....until I burst into tears in Waitrose today trying to find some carbs I can eat.

I had some rice, just a cup full cooked, yesterday and my bs went up to 8.5 after 2 hours!!!!

(((Lucy))) It's so not fair is it? I'm sure for all of us newly diagnosed, time is our friend. We will get the hang of this, and we will win. I just dropped carbs as if they were a hot potato so worried about my long term health, but I know it's not that easy for everyone. I for example would never dream of eating rice, pasta, potato's etc, but others who had them as a large portion of their diet before diagnosis must find it hard. Chin up Lucy, you will do this. We all will, we must!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lucy I sympathise been there bought the t-shirt .On the positive side I can manage a small portion of brown basmati rice have you tried it ?
CAROL

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I havent, thanks I will try it.

I tried a teaspoon of honey on my toast this morning and my sugar level sky-rocketed, so I guess all sugars/carbs are not created equally and some are tolerated better than others.

Unbeliever

I thik for many of us a diagnosis of diabetes forces us to think of and focus on ourselves in a different way. This takes time to come to terms with.

Anyone posting here and newly diagnosed has an advantage over all the other newly diagnosed wwho haven't found their way here or , like myself only foiund it afer a few years of floundering around.

I have great admiratio for the T1s who have had to cope all their lives with injections etc. I just thank goodness I have not had to cope with he condition all my life. As for the parents of childeren wih diabetes- my heart goes ou to them. I am sure they would raaher have the condition themselves

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After reading everyones replies, I now regard myself as extremely lucky. I was diagnosed by accident, long before my pancreas and insulin resistance was completely shot. I remember walking (yes actually walking!) home from an appointment with the DSN and thinking ho hum, time to get my **** in gear. Within 24 hours I was here and dropping the carbs.

Diabetes saved my life.

wiflib

Defren

wiflib said:
After reading everyones replies, I now regard myself as extremely lucky. I was diagnosed by accident, long before my pancreas and insulin resistance was completely shot. I remember walking (yes actually walking!) home from an appointment with the DSN and thinking ho hum, time to get my **** in gear. Within 24 hours I was here and dropping the carbs.

Diabetes saved my life.

wiflib

I'm with you. I feel lucky that I accepted things as quickly as I did, and acted. It must be so difficult to find out you have diabetes and not be able to cope. My heart quite genuinely does go out to anyone like that. I just had the night when I was diagnosed to cry, and let all the feelings out, then kick myself and get into 'diabetes thought mode'. Like you, I started low carbs the very next day, and now am under 30g a day from whatever it was before. I feel happier now I am in control and not diabetes. I can't at this point say I feel better as the Metformin has given me an upset stomach, but I can say I am 1000% more positive, now I know how to live with this.

I am a foodie, and so have taken some of the recipes from here, and have put the ingredients on my shopping list. I plan to eat and live as well as possible, within the confines of a low carb high protein and fat diet. This is my life we are talking abut, and I want to see my grandchildren grow up, so I had to make radical changes, so I have.

Alexx

Some days I feel normal and actually do accept it.

However usually it attacks so aggressively that I can't just sit by and accept and I get a little down because of it.

Sometimes I actually get mad at other people. I am really not proud of and I hate myself for doing. I will look at other people and pretty much get jealous of their care free life. I will get the mindset that "If I were in their position I would do this or that." I look at them like they are not grateful and get mad that I was stricken with this disease while they just "lucked out."

However those moments are fleeting lately. I realize how ugly and terrible it is for me to even have these feelings. I really can't stand myself sometimes for feeling like that but I honestly can't help it either.

I hate the uncertainty of it. Eat a certain meal that is completely catered to my diabetes. I will get the correct amount of insulin but then 1 hour later I am 235 somehow. So the next day I will try the same thing again but get 3 more units of insulin. Then 1 hour later I am 56. So now I figure I should get 1 unit less the next day and should be fine. Then I am 186. Now I am clueless on how to adjust and then just go with whatever, and adjust later on. Can't help but think it is taking a toll on my body every time I am 200+ for ANY period of time.

Hate this disease.
I have been doing things like this since I was diagnosed at age 7.