Type 2 How important is fasting glucose?

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got.a trial of a freestyle libre CGM and have been tracking my glucose throughout the week. It is good for 2 weeks

My Dr has been on me to get fasting glucose down. It was reading 126md/dl which is the diabetes cutoff in us (7.0 mmol/l) even though I was taking 2 medications

I have been on a keto diet Last blood test my fasting was 98 mg/dl (5.4 mmol/l) which is normal. A1C went down too. 5.3% (34 mmol/mol) to 4.8.% ( 29) So, the Dr took me off Januvia I am still on metformin.

My glucose naturally goes up in the morning. Today the CGM read 107 (5.9) and rising. Meter read 112. (6.2) After a small meal ( coffee with cream and some pecans) I went to work. There it read 139,(7.7) but that was the high for the day. Over 95% of the time I below 126 averaging around 100.(5.6)

I am sure there are things I can do to deal with the dawn phenomenon, but is that necessary?
Screenshot_20210712-214454.jpg
Screenshot_20210712-214411.jpg
Screenshot_20210712-214442.jpg

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I have always thought that Dawn phenomenon is a strange name for a natural bodily function that can happen at anytime of the day.
In response to certain hormones our bodies release some stored glucose. We have no control over when the hormones appear or the amount of glucose released. There may be things we can try to limit this release but why would you want to prevent our bodies using stored glucose.

Reactions: jjraak and lorib64

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.

Sure more knowledgeable then me can give you the more technical terms but here's my two bits and how I see it.

We all Run" at a different heat/tempo, and our bodies will hit us up with DP to help us each morning, so that FBG is hampered by our own bodies reactions to foods, stress, sleep or lack of.

Plus it's unwillingness to give up total control OR being helpful, ( you choose)

And that can be a long-ish process to get morning numbers to level out

And I'd imagine it's one that can rise and fall depending on how stringent we are with carbs .
Plus with the body still maintaining a lot of autonomous control, some of that morning FBG may be beyond our real control

From what I see your numbers are looking good

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I head out for a walk or head to the gym in the mornings, that seems to be when I’m primed up.
If I adjust my dinner time / composition, it seems to have an effect.

is it necessary to deal with it? If you have everything else under control, why not? It’s part of the insulin resistance thing, everything you can do to chip away at it will probably help in the long run.

Reactions: lorib64

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not an important measure. My glucose rises on my Libre 2 before breakfast due to the Dawn Phenomenon. Your overall glucose profile and HBA1C are far more important.

Reactions: jjraak and lorib64