How long after eating?

Soupladel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
...should I wait before testing my BG level in order to test the impact of something i have eaten or drunk?

I am trying to take a different approach to testing in the sense that i am on Metformin and therefore do not need to test for insulin use or drug administration, but rather than just testing before meals, I would like to test the effects of specific foods, therefore how long should i wait to test if and how something affects my BG levels?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2 hours is the time by which blood sugar levels should have returned to normal for non diabetics so it is a good guide for type 2 diabetics.

Occasionally, if one really wants to test a food, a 30 min and a 60 min reading is also good. that gives an idea of how quickly the insulin starts to react, but usually we are concerned with how quickly it returns to normal or, in the case of type 2 diabetes, how far above normal it is after 2 hours.

Different foods have different curves:

glycemic_index.jpg

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
A good figure to work with is approx 2 hours. Ideally, you'd like to be back to pre-meal levels or pretty close by then.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App