1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How Long Does It Take After A Hypo For You To Feel Better

Discussion in 'Reactive Hypoglycemia' started by The Mods, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

So in a nutshell your doctor has not approved on your decision to stop taking insulin, yet you feel it is ok to run your blood glucose levels at high levels ?

2. skph

skph Type 2 · Active Member

I got a long way to go. My liver needs a total maintenance. Get it back in tip top condition.

Hopefully by then my glucose level will return to its intended range. Right now with low carb intake it's still spiking above 10mmol/l.

3. skph

skph Type 2 · Active Member

4. Gork

Gork Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with the numbering system used here but what I can glean from the discussion is that meds brought your blood sugar reading low and you were feeling was the effects of that. I would get that if I used too much insulin.

Ideally, one would have recognized the symptoms of low sugar but you seemed to have slept through that and woke up dangerously low. It usually wakes me long before that so I have never had a serious problem.

For me, the time to recover from low reading (approx 65) is about 1/2 hour after consuming something high in sugar, typically usually an apple. Unfortunately, the time for the apple to take effect leaves me still with that panic feeling and I tend to continue eating until the system rebuilds it self, usually, more than what I needed. As noted in another message, after that is when I change clothes and remake the bed.

This is the first I have heard of a "hypo stopper". I guess I should look into that.

5. Cedric_Spencer

Cedric_Spencer Type 2 · Newbie

I am one of those fortunate ones who have a precursor before going hypo. I eat a couple of squares of high sugar chocolate then sit for 10 minutes after which all is well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wilber123

Wilber123 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I would not wait two weeks. I would see my GP ASAP. Your not doing to good st the mo. You need his help. That’s what he is there got.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Why are you having hypos?
    Are you on insulin or on meds such as Glicizide?

8. Cedric_Spencer

Cedric_Spencer Type 2 · Newbie

You seem to infer that my statement means I go hypo on a regular basis. That is in correct. The precursors I experience happen when my BSL is getting low.

9. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Why don't you just get a grip on the whole situation by going low carb high good fats? Otherwise you'll just be fiddle fluffing around and keep having hypos and hypers and damaging your body.
    When your average BG comes down you'll probably be able to cut meds down!
    Just bite the bullet.
    :) D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lamont D

You are experiencing episodes of symptoms which are a constant.
    The only way to prevent is to methodically keep your BG in or around normal levels.
    The symptoms will ease.
    T2s only go hypo when on insulin or meds, as a guide, so the question was valid wether you are actually going hypo or having symptoms from false hypos or from the hypers.

11. Davie_sett

Davie_sett Type 1 · Well-Known Member

for me personaly a normal hypo in about 30 mins i would feels better then the blood sugar would most likely start to go a little high
    i wouldn't really feel that bad normally a 3.1 or so depending if its rising or falling when it goes into the 1s then when it really gets bad especially when im asleep iv had some pretty bad experiences

12. lindisfel

Problem is Davie, you know how much insulin your putting in your body, most T2Ds have no idea how much endogenous insulin their producing! They may as well put a wet finger in the air!:)
    That's why low carb good fats stops R.H.
    in T2D.

I think Lamont, RH is still hyperinsulinemia and diabetes with or without the qualifying Hba1c of 48!
    Re Virta health interview with kick boxer presenter.
    ATB
    Derek

#52 lindisfel, Jun 25, 2018 at 11:20 AM
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  13. Lamont D

Hi, Derek.
    Hyperinsulinaemia can be diagnosed for someone with RH!
    I believe you are aware that if someone who has RH, and has not got good control and doesn't have dietary treatment to make sure that you don't trigger the hyper.
    The likelihood of high insulin levels due to the overshoot of insulin every time you have carbs, also high circulating insulin, which eventually turns into visceral fat in your organs, most likely has growing insulin resistance as a result of this imbalance.
    It's a viscous circle of fluctuations in blood glucose levels.

My last Hba1c was 37, and no, my hyperinsulinaemia has departed due to losing six stone and being in ketosis.
    And I agree, low carb (very) good fats is good advice!

Best wishes mate.

Hope to find you ok?

14. lindisfel

Hi Lamont,
    It's good your hba1c is way out the diabetic range.
    No I don't have hyperinsulinemia but if I had carbs my pancreas would over react and produce too much insulin and I would hypo.

For some reason our pancreas's over react to carb and decide I am not putting up with this guy abusing me with carbs anymore and wind up the output in anticipation.

Isn't it great not having hypos anymore!
    ATB
    Derek

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Lamont D

You could drag the science out of my brain, but it's not as important as having no hypos.
    As long as us weirdos are fit and healthy, what the hell!

Long live low carb!

Best wishes mate.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook