How long does it take for beta cells to regenerate

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The IR calculation is directly from the Medicheck website.

Simvastatin turned me into a zombie.

Pravastatin turned me into a grouch.

There may be statins out there which can reduce my cholesterol numbers, and also not have the side effect of increasing the risk of T2 diabetes or making T2 worse if you have it.
However I have come to the view that high cholesterol levels aren't necessarily bad if the ratios are good; in fact they may well be beneficial.
So I am not in the market for any statins; this has the full support of my health care team.
Ditto with my care team. When in hospital recently I had to wear a wristband to indicate I was medically allergic to statins, I no longer have Those discussions.

Caprock94

Revisiting this topic. Any new research on this? I am hoping that the ability to normalize blood sugar levels with diet changes and weight loss indicates beta cell loss isn't as extensive as previously thought, and that beta cell recovery is possible.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Revisiting this topic. Any new research on this? I am hoping that the ability to normalize blood sugar levels with diet changes and weight loss indicates beta cell loss isn't as extensive as previously thought, and that beta cell recovery is possible.
https://www.healio.com/endocrinolog...n-be-recovered-with-type-2-diabetes-remission

There's the 2 year follow up to the Roy Taylor study which came out last June.
Turns out beta cells return to normal after about 2 years, nearly there in 12 months.
It would definitely appear then that insulin resistance is the final piece of the puzzle.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.healio.com/endocrinology/diabetes/news/online/{544b9ed3-231a-4baa-a1e6-5874eea28e1e}/beta-cell-function-can-be-recovered-with-type-2-diabetes-remission

There's the 2 year follow up to the Roy Taylor study which came out last June.
Turns out beta cells return to normal after about 2 years, nearly there in 12 months.
It would definitely appear then that insulin resistance is the final piece of the puzzle.
Di we have reference to the study report itself? We do not know the conditions under which the participants maintainrd their weight, and that may also contribute to the succss story: in fact the lack of defined maintenance treatment has always been the wesk spot in Prof Taylor's work. Without lmowing the number of participants then what is the success rate? The conference notes seem to imply high success rates, but I do not see what was being claimed beyond 'most participants'.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Di we have reference to the study report itself? We do not know the conditions under which the participants maintainrd their weight, and that may also contribute to the succss story: in fact the lack of defined maintenance treatment has always been the wesk spot in Prof Taylor's work. Without lmowing the number of participants then what is the success rate? The conference notes seem to imply high success rates, but I do not see what was being claimed beyond 'most participants'.

https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/68/Supplement_1/66-OR

Mike Sixx

so I read in several articles that beta cells can regenerate - how long would this take.

I also read that our beta aren’t actually destroyed but they gradually wake up and recover when the blood sugars are getting lower
They might recover a little bit, what is left of them. But more importantly the insulin resistance build up in muscles might go down making the insulin more potent.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped eating sugar and starches, for some time I have limited my intake to salad and low carb veges - the meat and other protein, and fats I just eat what feels right.
I have lost 20 percent or more of my weight - I don't know what the maximum was - I did not try to do that, I just kept my blood glucose normal. I didn't need medication, despite it being prescribed at once, and it made me really ill.
At the moment I feel that several decades have been lifted from my shoulders, several stones from off my knees. I can bend down and clean the bottom of the fridge. Whatever the problem was, the diet pushed on my as essential to save my life was wrong, it was reducing the quality of life day by day pound by pound of extra fat accumulation, loss of energy loss of strength loss of energy.
My GP and the nurses at the clinic have absolutely no interest in how I have done the impossible. The NHS is being run into the ground by the same steadfast beliefs which must be affecting so many people not so lucky as myself. Any research which doesn't reinforce the accepted dogma is not accepted, it has to be wrong.
Something fundamental has to change before there can be any real research and any improvement in the advice on how Humans ought to be fed.

Reactions: 84green

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Further to this 2 year follow up more data has been released online:

Short version: https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2020/01/22/dc19-0371

Longer Version: https://eprints.gla.ac.uk/211019/7/211019.pdf

As we knew before: "During remission, median (interquartile range) maximal rate of insulin secretion increased from 581 (480–811) pmol/min/m2 at baseline to 736 (542–998) pmol/min/m2 at 5 months, 942 (565–1,240) pmol/min/m2 at 12 months (P = 0.028 from baseline), and 936 (635–1,435) pmol/min/m2 at 24 months (P = 0.023 from baseline; n = 20 of 39 of those initially in remission). This was comparable to the NDC group (1,016 [857–1,507] pmol/min/m2) by 12 (P = 0.064) and 24 (P = 0.244) months."

This is additional info: "Median first-phase insulin response increased from baseline to 5 months (42 [4–67] to 107 [59–163] pmol/min/m2; P < 0.0001) and then remained stable at 12 and 24 months (110 [59–201] and 125 [65–166] pmol/min/m2, respectively; P < 0.0001 vs. baseline) but lower than that of the NDC group (250 [226–429] pmol/min/m2; P < 0.0001)."

So the first phase insulin response rate only returned to half that of the non-diabetic control group although the maximal rate of insulin secretion is virtually the same.
Could someone attempt to explain that in layman's terms as it appears contradictory at first glance ?.

Could this be explained by the following: "HbA1c remained in the non-diabetic range in Responders (n=20) at 24 months having remained steady although significantly higher than in NDC (6.0±0.3%(41.7±3.5mmol/mol) vs. 5.4±0.3%(35.2±3.4mmol/mol)"

Are they really comparing like with like, surely a matched group with a HbA1c of 42 (6.0%) would have been a closer comparison.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When initially diagnosed I went low carb and lost approx 2 stone in weight and now average between 100 - 130g carbs per day and have managed to maintain my hba1c in non diabetic levels for approx 7 years. I can also tolerate the occasional high carb meal such as jacket potatoes and I had Spaghetti Bolognese last night with reheated pasta and my BS after 1.5 hours was 6.5 and 6.4 after 2 hours and FBS this morning was 5.3. I have no intention of going back to regularly eating high carb foods such as pasta and rice etc but it’s good to know that I can eat them occasionally with no adverse effects.

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
so I read in several articles that beta cells can regenerate - how long would this take.

I also read that our beta aren’t actually destroyed but they gradually wake up and recover when the blood sugars are getting lower
I have come across this in many YouTube presentations on credible and reliable channels. Beta cell regeneration is possible with certain conditions 1- the individual follows the right diet, 2- how far back the onset of diabetes (or pre-diabetes) dates, 3- the amount of lipolysis (fat burning) in both the liver and the pancreas, 4- what caused beta cell damage (auto-immune disease, pancreatic cancer or inappropriate health style and diet). Still, many non-mainstream experts confirm possible regeneration. This is applicable to T2D and not to T1D, LADA diabetes or pancreatic diabetes. In the latter 3 types, damage is irreversible, it seems.

Last edited: