How long for a low carb diet

worldtraveller

Please don't misconstrue the below question as someone who has not realized the errors of her diet!!! My problem with foods as I see it now has been my love of grains, cereals, granola bars, etc. Right now I am being extra strict to see if I can get my AC1 lower. I have always been slim, have an A1C 5.9. If I have positive results in my next A1C, do I have to stay with the strict diet regiment that I am on now to maintain. Or do I continue doing exactly as I have been doing to maintain the lower A1C. Or, is it like some diets, once you have reached your optimal weight, you can bring back some of the foods, within reason of course. One more OR... Or do I slowly lower the A1C with the same diet? Just to reiterate, I will always continue with my low carb diet and healthier life style.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it seems like you have right idea saying you will continue with the low carb diet .Most here that do the low carb do stay on it to maintain their good blood levels and weight but some have found after they have been doing low carb for some time that they can introduce a few more carbs into their diet but not the amount they did before diabetes

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't misconstrue the below question as someone who has not realized the errors of her diet!!! My problem with foods as I see it now has been my love of grains, cereals, granola bars, etc. Right now I am being extra strict to see if I can get my AC1 lower. I have always been slim, have an A1C 5.9. If I have positive results in my next A1C, do I have to stay with the strict diet regiment that I am on now to maintain. Or do I continue doing exactly as I have been doing to maintain the lower A1C. Or, is it like some diets, once you have reached your optimal weight, you can bring back some of the foods, within reason of course. One more OR... Or do I slowly lower the A1C with the same diet? Just to reiterate, I will always continue with my low carb diet and healthier life style.
I would maintain your low carbing, but introduce more fats and protein to maintain your weight.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@worldtravellor - to be honest, you have to find your own way. Some folks find they can reintroduce some things, some can't, some choose not to, and some just do it anyway.

If you don't already have one, I suggest you invest in a blood glucose monitor to track your own blood glucose reactions. This real time, personalised feedback would help inform some of your choices, when the time comes.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you are at 5.9 and using LC for diet, then I'd continue with that. If you wanted to lower that A1c you might have to reduce carbs further, but I have no idea how many carbs you are using.

You can google low carb versions of the foods you loved, granola bars and breakfast things like porridge. You can tweak those to suit. Plenty of LC options online. Breads as well.

www.dietdoctor.com has some great meal ideas.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@worldtraveller I probably eat more carbs than many forum members but I have maintained my hba1c in non-diabetic levels for approx 5 years on an average of 100 and 120g carbs per day although I have been known to go higher. The only way is to use your meter, if you have one, and test to see what effects higher carb foods have.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What you choose to do will ultimately depend on your requirements and aims, and how your body copes with carbs. It's a very individual thing,so you'll need to find your own best solution. But I'd agree with other comments regarding using a meter to monitor BG/foods, and adjusting protein and fats to manage weight.

For me LCHF has been a permanent change in eating style (rather than what is commonly termed a "diet") to manage my glucose levels, rather than to lose weight. As a bonus it's helped to improve other health issues, mainly long term chronic migraines. I've eaten low carb now for over five years and my glucose levels are pretty stable. I lost weight fast when I went down to 20-25g carbs a day for a while, and at a slightly higher level it's remained steady within a kilo or so for most of this time. I'm happy eating this way and see no reason to revert to a higher carb diet,which was doing me absolutely no good at all.

Robbity

Reactions: Pasha

worldtraveller

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the meter online. In case you are wondering why I am concerned along with my doctor. My AC1 increased from 5.3 to 5.9 over three years. There have a few diabetics in my immediate family, including my mother who has passed on, one aunt that lost a leg and sight, and a few other aunts as well.