How Long We Can Control BG With Low Carb Diet?

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try my own version low carb diet 2 week ago. One week my Fasting BG down from 8,3 to 6,5, after that my doctor suggest me to get metformin and follow their diet program, so i stop low carb, but after one week, my fasting BG did not go down significantly, so I will start low carb diet again.

Can we control blood sugar with diet and exercise? without meds for long time? Is there a member here that can control blood sugar just by diet more than 5 year? thanks for your support

Reactions: ickihun and Freema

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
t totally depends on your body. dont get hung upon being drug free if you need them use them. obviously diet should be your first option.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i check it before, but i can not get fergus update. thanks @kokhongw

@catharsis seems to have been on low carb since 2011
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-success-stories.3763/page-29#post-1644960

Dr Keith Runyan who is a T1D has also been on LCHF for quite a while...his glucose looks very stable.
https://ketogenicdiabeticathlete.wo.../48-january-2018-update-on-my-t1d-management/
post-48-means-table.png

Reactions: Freema

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been doing low-ish carbs for just over 6 years now, and am still drug free. I have no objection to taking meds if I need to, it hasnt happened yet though. My diabetic nurse says this is progressive, but I am not so sure. At the very least, progress of diabetes, for some, seems to be slowed down considerably by low carbing

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been doing low-ish carbs for just over 6 years now, and am still drug free. I have no objection to taking meds if I need to, it hasnt happened yet though. My diabetic nurse says this is progressive, but I am not so sure. At the very least, progress of diabetes, for some, seems to be slowed down considerably by low carbing
wow, amazing @lucylocket61, i hope you no need meds forever

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we are all individuals so it is impossible to say how long any one of us could keep good BG control with diet alone.

Having said that, I have been controlling my BG levels by diet alone since 2010. It has been had work at times and takes planning when eating out, holidays etc as I am also a vegetarian.

Do you have a meter? When I first started this journey I was eating what I thought was a very healthy diet (so did the dietitian!) but foods such as porridge raised my BG levels significantly. I would recommend buying a meter and testing how you react to certain foods, then eat to your meter. I bought the SD codefree as it had the cheapest test strips and I pay for them myself.

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we are all individuals so it is impossible to say how long any one of us could keep good BG control with diet alone.

Having said that, I have been controlling my BG levels by diet alone since 2010. It has been had work at times and takes planning when eating out, holidays etc as I am also a vegetarian.

Do you have a meter? When I first started this journey I was eating what I thought was a very healthy diet (so did the dietitian!) but foods such as porridge raised my BG levels significantly. I would recommend buying a meter and testing how you react to certain foods, then eat to your meter. I bought the SD codefree as it had the cheapest test strips and I pay for them myself.
yes i have meter, i also always check my BG after meal. Thanks Scimama, you give me great advice

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes i have meter, i also always check my BG after meal. Thanks Scimama, you give me great advice
Just a thought: I check before and 2 hours after my meal. This is because the rise is the most important bit. A rise of more than about 2 points after a meal usually means that that meal is too high in carbs for me to cope with.

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a thought: I check before and 2 hours after my meal. This is because the rise is the most important bit. A rise of more than about 2 points after a meal usually means that that meal is too high in carbs for me to cope with.
Yes you are right, i always chek fasting BG and 2 hour after meal, everyday

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Diagnosed 2013, since then in ketosis. Before a restricted diet.
No worries, no health problems.

I intend to keep being in ketosis because that is where my body likes to be!
And it works!

Best wishes

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed 2013, since then in ketosis. Before a restricted diet.
No worries, no health problems.

I intend to keep being in ketosis because that is where my body likes to be!
And it works!

Best wishes
how about your colesterol level? good until now?

Chuckannuck

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diabetic nurse says this is progressive, but I am not so sure. At the very least, progress of diabetes, for some, seems to be slowed down considerably by low carbing

I'm not so sure T2D is progressive either. After 40 years in business, one of the most dangerous things I've found is to treat an assumption as a fact. Especially since "what everybody knows" is frequently wrong.

So, a question I've found useful (and that in retrospect, I wish I had asked more often) is, "is that an assumption or a fact?"