LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

David J Clark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't believe that it was misdiagnosis. I know that if I eat refined Carbs, my Blood Sugar increases. The Doctors have been convinced for 20+years that I am Type 2. I remember vividly that the result of my first ever blood test was 28 mmol/L.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @David J Clark, a great big welcome to the forum. A brilliant result for all your hard work - and a double winner for you. It's so heartening to hear of success stories; you're sure to be an example for others - hope you stick around the forum for the future. And I agree with miahara - you definitely do look 10 years younger !

Reactions: Prem51 and Sue192

David J Clark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Salvia. Thank you for your welcome. I do intend to post my progress from now on. I would love for all others to have the success that I have experienced. I would never try to hide the fact that for the first month, this lifestyle change was not difficult, however, the changes to me personally and to my partner, who herself is not diabetic, is incredible. We haven't joined Gyms and all that, we go out for a walk when we can, and try to achieve 10,000 steps a day on our Fitbit, which is not always possible with our jobs. My next goal is to have the Metformin removed, and hopefully that will not be too long.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Salvia. Thank you for your welcome. I do intend to post my progress from now on. I would love for all others to have the success that I have experienced. I would never try to hide the fact that for the first month, this lifestyle change was not difficult, however, the changes to me personally and to my partner, who herself is not diabetic, is incredible. We haven't joined Gyms and all that, we go out for a walk when we can, and try to achieve 10,000 steps a day on our Fitbit, which is not always possible with our jobs. My next goal is to have the Metformin removed, and hopefully that will not be too long.

Had a similar experience from yours...

I was diagnosed diabetic after having Ketoacidosis last September 2017.

I was put on insulin lantus but just after 13 days and by adopting lchf diet, my bg readings were hitting the 5s and 6s.

On the 14th day I was transferred to Metformin 2g up to this time.

Lost just under 3 stones in 2 months!

Now my fasting bg readings are in the 4s!

Reactions: Shelly69

adriangoatseye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Banks
David J Clark...I loved seeing those pictures. Fantastic stuff.

I am not a heavy follower of LCHF now but was puritanical in 2016 and for half of 2017. My main preoccupation is to keep my weight between 12st and 12.5st (having been 15.5st in Jan 2016 with HbA1c at 51). I got my latest blood test result today and I am at 39. I could probably work harder and get it lower but I now have a different relationship with food to two years ago in that I eat much, much less sugar and carbs and much less in general. I was literally eating myself to death. I enjoy life more and am much fitter, which is great with two girls aged 5 and 6.

I hope everybody on this forum keeps at it because this place was a huge part in what was (and still is) a life saving and life changing exercise.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I can certainly recommend the LCHF/keto approach. I have been Type 2 Diabetic for over 20 years, and for 12 of those years I have been insulin dependant. 19 weeks ago, my partner proposed that we should adopt a new Lifestyle.................and our journey started. This change was primarily to remove insulin from my life, if possible. Well 19 weeks later, I have lost 44 pounds in weight...........and more importantly my Doctor has removed insulin from my repeat prescriptions totally and reduced my Metformin by 50%. Here are my before and now pictures........................................my journey continues.

Absolutely inspirational!

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
myfitnesspal-1503611140545.png

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're another one who looks much younger having lost 8.5 stones, @Incyb - and positively brimming with health as well!

A great personal achievement; well done you. :)

Reactions: Incyb and Prem51

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have not visited the site for some time. I have been off and on lchf way of eating. Just before charismas my hba1c went up to 70s .
. Was trying to be on LCHF diet since then. Last two weeks suffering from a cold finding it very difficult be on low carb eating lot of biscuits in the night. Feels flu like symptoms, body aches and etc. Feels really bad for going off the cliff.

david0779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negativity and the rain
hi i was diagnosed t2 back in November 2017 my weight was 21stone and my blood hbc was 65 i was put on metfomin and sent on my way i was confused i looked up everything i could and with the help of this site put my self on a low carb diet i am now 18 stone and my blood as gone form 65 to 45 i have to deal with bipolar and add depression so i have to say doing this in 3.5 months as give me a real boost thanks to all the nice helpfull people on this site who gave me so much imfo

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Congratulations @david0779
impressive reduction in Hba1c and weight in just a few months. Your new lifestyle is obviously paying dividends

Reactions: Jancrystal

SlimboyFat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been borderline type 2 for 6 years, controlled by diet but its always been a struggle. About 2 years ago after a routine blood test i was put on low dose of Metaformin as my HB1Ac had crept up, this helped for a time and not much in the way of side effects. One day in early January this year, i wasn't feeling to great, upon checking my blood sugar i discovered it was very high at 17mmol a couple of hours after eating. Back to the docs i go, told to treble my dose of Metaformin. Queue bad stomach , weird visual disturbances and generally feeling ill. In addition to this my weight was at 20st so time to lose some weight!

I had read about the low carb diet, the Mrs was sceptical but to me the science made sense and who doesn't love bacon! Anyways, 2 months later and I've lost a stone and half, feel 5 years younger and my BS never seems to get above 7.5 Mmol. I'm going for my first diabetic clinic checkup in a few weeks and i am intrigued to see the results of the bloods!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been borderline type 2 for 6 years, controlled by diet but its always been a struggle. About 2 years ago after a routine blood test i was put on low dose of Metaformin as my HB1Ac had crept up, this helped for a time and not much in the way of side effects. One day in early January this year, i wasn't feeling to great, upon checking my blood sugar i discovered it was very high at 17mmol a couple of hours after eating. Back to the docs i go, told to treble my dose of Metaformin. Queue bad stomach , weird visual disturbances and generally feeling ill. In addition to this my weight was at 20st so time to lose some weight!

I had read about the low carb diet, the Mrs was sceptical but to me the science made sense and who doesn't love bacon! Anyways, 2 months later and I've lost a stone and half, feel 5 years younger and my BS never seems to get above 7.5 Mmol. I'm going for my first diabetic clinic checkup in a few weeks and i am intrigued to see the results of the bloods!
Please come back and tell us what the results are.
I suspect they will show a fab improvement. :D
Well done to you - and The Mrs.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here goes. Diagnosed type 2 in 2009. been all over the place since! Lost weight put it back on again. got HbA1c down and got it up again. Stopped drinking, started again drinking even more!!

Went for bloods 26th April. Weight had gone up to 157Kg, Bg up to 16.6. 2 days later found out my HbA1c was up to 82! Was told by nurse that this is my last chance before its to late and I end up on injections. I've got 3 months before my diabetes MOT so that is crunch time. I asked if I could have the 3 months to prove I can bring things down this I was granted so the journey begins.

Started LCHF on 30th April. Also doing fasting on 16/8 - (20.00 -12.00) only having black tea and water as needed. After info on here going for 20g carbs a day. First thing to go was the beer and have red wine instead. Found fasting easy as don't have much of an appetite in a mornings. Low carb easy as don't have a sweet tooth also living on my own no temptations around.

After first week of feeling strange, more trips to the loo than normal things have settled down. Lost the taste for red wine so have stopped drinking. Gone to 18/6 fasting (20.00 - 14.00) Bg 10.6 average over first week.

Still on same meds, so lets see what happens. Keep you posted.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My HBA1c was 51 at diagnosis, sent on my way by a very unsympathetic GP with metformin and told to follow NHS guidelines, not test my blood, just do as I was told (which was very little actually).

Found my way to this forum, read a couple of very good books and started to follow LCHF. TBH, I'm more moderate carb than low, but it's still considerable lower than I used to consume. I also bought a meter and testing my blood several times a day, before and after food so that I could see what I could and couldn't tolerate.

My palate has change completely - I don't crave sweets or chocolate anymore, and if I want a treat, it tends to be a rich tea biscuit - which these days taste extremely sweet!

I've lost 23 kg so far, although I've got a lot more to lose - but losing weight is a side effect of controlling my BG levels.

Just had my first HBA1c reading since diagnosis. GP (different one from the original) looked at me and said "What have you done? How have you achieved this?" when he told me that my HBA1c is now 40 - in other words, back in the non-diabetic range! :) He was very interested in the LCHF way of eating and has said he's going to look into it. He told me to carry on doing what I'm as it is obviously working!