1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 How long

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Oggykev, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Oggykev

Oggykev Type 2 · Member

How long before metformin starts to work bloods going up again

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Oggykev

As I understand it metformin alone doesn’t do a lot to actively/directly decrease blood sugar levels. Rather it can support dietary changes by increasing insulin sensitivity and reducing the amount of glucose produced by the liver.

To get the full benefits you’ll need to ensure that you’re eating foods which are low in carbohydrates.

Have a look at the low carb section of this forum, or check out dietdoctor.com

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It doesn't really make yout blood sugar come down, it stimulates so you release insulin, are you eating a lot of carbohydrates?

4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I thought metformin decreased the amount of sugar produced by the liver rather than increasing the amount of insulin produced by the body, plus it's supposed to help with weight loss slightly. Anyway, you're right about the carbs:)

Having said all that, it does make a difference, and is enough for many people, particularly if they also reduce carbs (most important) and exercise more (will also help but really it's all about the carbs).

@Oggykev
    If you've reduced the carbs and your levels are still going up there's always the possibility that you are a misdiagnosed T1/LADA (ie your body is not insulin resistant but is in fact gradually ceasing to produce insulin at all). Though LADA is much rarer than T2, many LADAs are initially misdiagnosed as T2, and reducing carb intake can keep their blood sugar levels in line for a long time (because reducing carbs reduces their insulin needs to the level their bodies can cope with).

5. sgm14

sgm14 · Active Member

I suspect that everyone will be different, but it took me about four weeks before my blood sugar readings were mostly in range.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Some T2 diabetic drugs stimulate increased insulin production, but Metformin isn’t one of them.

Metformin’s action is as @Goonergal described. There is a resulting lowering of HbA1c, which (according to meta studies) reduces by an average of 1.1% or approx 11mmol/mol (but of course that varies hugely depending on the person, the dose, and their food choices.

Food choices have a far bigger impact on bg for type 2s than Metformin.

7. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I agree with @EllieM that Metformin's main action is to reduce the liver's glucose (glycogen) output. It never has that much effect so don't rely on it helping much. Do follow the low-carb route and if you are slim and the BS keeps going up ask for the two T1 tests

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook