Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Oggykev

As I understand it metformin alone doesn’t do a lot to actively/directly decrease blood sugar levels. Rather it can support dietary changes by increasing insulin sensitivity and reducing the amount of glucose produced by the liver.

To get the full benefits you’ll need to ensure that you’re eating foods which are low in carbohydrates.

Have a look at the low carb section of this forum, or check out dietdoctor.com

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn't really make yout blood sugar come down, it stimulates so you release insulin, are you eating a lot of carbohydrates?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It doesn't really make yout blood sugar come down, it stimulates so you release insulin, are you eating a lot of carbohydrates?

I thought metformin decreased the amount of sugar produced by the liver rather than increasing the amount of insulin produced by the body, plus it's supposed to help with weight loss slightly. Anyway, you're right about the carbs:)

Having said all that, it does make a difference, and is enough for many people, particularly if they also reduce carbs (most important) and exercise more (will also help but really it's all about the carbs).

@Oggykev
If you've reduced the carbs and your levels are still going up there's always the possibility that you are a misdiagnosed T1/LADA (ie your body is not insulin resistant but is in fact gradually ceasing to produce insulin at all). Though LADA is much rarer than T2, many LADAs are initially misdiagnosed as T2, and reducing carb intake can keep their blood sugar levels in line for a long time (because reducing carbs reduces their insulin needs to the level their bodies can cope with).

sgm14

I suspect that everyone will be different, but it took me about four weeks before my blood sugar readings were mostly in range.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Some T2 diabetic drugs stimulate increased insulin production, but Metformin isn’t one of them.

Metformin’s action is as @Goonergal described. There is a resulting lowering of HbA1c, which (according to meta studies) reduces by an average of 1.1% or approx 11mmol/mol (but of course that varies hugely depending on the person, the dose, and their food choices.

Food choices have a far bigger impact on bg for type 2s than Metformin.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @EllieM that Metformin's main action is to reduce the liver's glucose (glycogen) output. It never has that much effect so don't rely on it helping much. Do follow the low-carb route and if you are slim and the BS keeps going up ask for the two T1 tests