How many BG meters do you have?

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I have 7 I think ! Only actually use my aviva expert but also have cassettes for my mobile on my repeat to leave in the car in case of emergencies the rest have been freebies acquired over the years I'm meant to be using the glucomen lx ( preferred meter supplier of my hospital ) but really like the size of the Xpert the only excuse given for the preffered choice is that it saves carrying 2 meters but I have a large bag :)) and can't actually remember a time in the last 6 yrs I have ever had ketones that required treatment

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I currently have five and only use one but do keep a spare in my handbag in case I ever want to test while I'm out.

I started off with an Accu Chek Nano as it was very, very cheap, and I liked the idea of the Fastclix pricker, having read good reviews about it. But I really wanted something where I could upload from the meter to my PC, and the Nano had some weird infrared connection system, so was really just a stop-gap while I did more research. I liked it, but found the buttons weren't easy to use for some reason. I got a second one (at a slightly higher price though) to have a spare Fastclix - this was very much cheaper than buying the pricker on it's own!!

Then I bought a Bayer Contour XT, which was closer to what I wanted, and gave me a bigger range of results. I like this but it gives slightly higher readings than my neat little Nano, and it's bigger and (surprise, surprise) looks a bit more like a meter!!! :D Recently I discovered the new Bayer Contour Next which gives more trends and results (over 90 days) and decided that's the one I really needed!! I tried both Bayer and Diabetes.co.uk for freebies, but gave up waiting in the end and bought one. Then lo and behold - a week later a free one arrived in the post!! It reads very close to the XT, and uses the same strips, but it's slightly smaller, better looking(!), and has lots more features, which being gadget minded I really like.

One Nano lives in my handbag as it's tiny, and my husband has the spare one with the XT pricker; he wanted to have a go at testing, as at one point he was suspected of having diabetes.

And no - I don't have any ancient technology leeches lurking around, but my dogs occasionally bring home the odd ticks, which also give me the creeps!

Robbity

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Impressive! That's even worse than my *horrible mental image*
So, does the girl live under the stairs with the leeches?
Goodness, that's even more disturbing...

@Brunneria , I'm getting slightly worried about the profile you are building up of me - collects rubber underwear, lives under the stairs, keeps pet leeches , oh and the sheep thing .....

This is so spookily accurate ....

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I appear to have eight o_O but I only use the Accu-Chek Mobile or the Abbott Neo for ketones (or those 'can't believe my BG's that high' moments)

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm starting to feel deprived now - I only have 2 and only use 1 of those (unless I get a really weird reading and use the other as a double-check).

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria , I'm getting slightly worried about the profile you are building up of me - collects rubber underwear, lives under the stairs, keeps pet leeches , oh and the sheep thing .....

Signy
Ah yes.
The sheep... thing.

Of course, my lips can be sealed, in perpetuity, for a very modest sum...

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
image.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG! Even more scary than giant leeches - you're in for a walloping if I get nightmares tonight... Couldn't you have saved posting till morning?? :wideyed::wideyed:

Robbity

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I currently have five and only use one but do keep a spare in my handbag in case I ever want to test while I'm out.

I started off with an Accu Chek Nano as it was very, very cheap, and I liked the idea of the Fastclix pricker, having read good reviews about it. But I really wanted something where I could upload from the meter to my PC, and the Nano had some weird infrared connection system, so was really just a stop-gap while I did more research. I liked it, but found the buttons weren't easy to use for some reason. I got a second one (at a slightly higher price though) to have a spare Fastclix - this was very much cheaper than buying the pricker on it's own!!

Then I bought a Bayer Contour XT, which was closer to what I wanted, and gave me a bigger range of results. I like this but it gives slightly higher readings than my neat little Nano, and it's bigger and (surprise, surprise) looks a bit more like a meter!!! :D Recently I discovered the new Bayer Contour Next which gives more trends and results (over 90 days) and decided that's the one I really needed!! I tried both Bayer and Diabetes.co.uk for freebies, but gave up waiting in the end and bought one. Then lo and behold - a week later a free one arrived in the post!! It reads very close to the XT, and uses the same strips, but it's slightly smaller, better looking(!), and has lots more features, which being gadget minded I really like.

One Nano lives in my handbag as it's tiny, and my husband has the spare one with the XT pricker; he wanted to have a go at testing, as at one point he was suspected of having diabetes.

And no - I don't have any ancient technology leeches lurking around, but my dogs occasionally bring home the odd ticks, which also give me the creeps!

Robbity
Handbag?
I've done it again.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 4. 2 One Touch Ultra Easy ( one in kitchen and one in my bag) A Contour and an Accuchek that are many years old and which I don't have strips for but keep 'just in case'. I also have 4 old Novopens for the same reason. I think if I throw them out I'll jinx myself and have mass equipment failure. You can never be too careful!:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
OMG! Even more scary than giant leeches - you're in for a walloping if I get nightmares tonight... Couldn't you have saved posting till morning?? :wideyed::wideyed:

Robbity

It's a giant leech eating giant sheep! Just make sure you check under the bed.........

That photographer is a very, very brave man.
Or woman.
Please don't tell me there's a sheep under the stairs too...?

The price of silence is going up. And up.

Or has a very good zoom lens

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am sure if I was type 1 I would have many more. Cant help being a coward.

Signy

:hilarious: :hilarious: oh no not the evil sheep thing again o_O Heaven's above, they're are hardly any harmful, heinous, hurtful, hedonistic or hurtful sheep in Hampshire, especially on Sunday's :D