How many carbs in a day

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is no magic number but the lower the better. Aim for 150gm/day max and lower if you can.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
We all tolerate different quantities of carbohydrates. I have up to 30 g/day.

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Most of us go below 130g a day. I found 100g at first then down to 85g after a couple of weeks to get my fasting blood sugar down enough suited me - others need to go even lower as we all react differently.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Need to do low carbs to lower diabetes to come off glucophage due to 1 kidney
I'm at 20 grams a day or less...

No-one has the magic number for you. Would going as low as you possibly can, be good? Probably. It'd trigger keto-flu, meaning fatigue, headaches, joint and muscle pains, which lasts up to two weeks while your body gets adjusted to the new normal (it can be solved with electrolyte supplements, bone broth, coconut milk etc).But your blood sugars would be stabilising and go back to the normal range after that. If you want to go less drastic, you might want to do what is called eating-to-your-meter. Basically you test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If you don't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l between those two, the meal was perfection. If not, then it was carbier than you could handle. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help get you started.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: toddy35 and ert

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You've been given a great link by @JoKalsbeek - I'm another that has gone very low carb- less than 20 grams a day. I chose that approach for a couple of reasons- I wanted to lower my levels as much as possible as quickly as possible and hopefully lower my insulin resistance as well but I am also a carbolic and the more I eat the more I crave- I have found that while I might grieve the things I can no longer eat I have much less cravings so its is actually easier to manage.

But as everyone has saifd- there is. no one right answer to the actual amounts, The only right answer depends on your meter. Testing is the only reliable way of seeing how many carbs your body can tolerate.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: toddy35

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Initially just cutting out all the obvious foods which are high in starches or sugars (without counting any carbs) had reduced my levels to pre diabetic within 2-3 months of diagnosis.

My aim has been to reduce carbs to a level where (a) I can maintain suitably low glucose levels and (b) eat a long term sustainable and healthy low carb diet. My meter tells me whether I'm managing this or not, and I find that between 20-50g a day works well for me, but you have to discover for yourself how many carbs you are able to tolerate to reach the level you need/want to achieve - all diabetes is not made equal.

Reactions: toddy35

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read the advice and decided to aim for max of 50g carb a day. Was hard at first but became much easier. The key is still eating well and not feeling hungry. As advised above find what works for you.

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat bread:

NUTRITION FACTS
Total servings = 20
Per serving;
Net carb = 2.2 g
Calories = 113
Total fat = 9.3 g
Protein = 3.5 g

TheJoshen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can eat bread:

NUTRITION FACTS
Total servings = 20
Per serving;
Net carb = 2.2 g
Calories = 113
Total fat = 9.3 g
Protein = 3.5 g

that bread looks great and I need some bread in my life

can't see myself making it though.. can you buy something similar? I've seen hi-lo bread but that still has twice the carbs as the one you make

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that bread looks great and I need some bread in my life

can't see myself making it though.. can you buy something similar? I've seen hi-lo bread but that still has twice the carbs as the one you make

Not that I know of.
Tesco used to have the Burgen bread, . It has 7.5 grams carbs per slice, but it seems discontinued.

I made another loaf today, it has 0.8 gr carbs per slice

IMG_20200710_140216 (1).jpg

After dinner I had 5.3 mmo/l in fact I haven't gone over 7 mmo/l for over a year.
Mostly between 5 and 6.5 mmo/l.

I have been in remission for 2 years, no medications..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200710-181330.jpg
    Screenshot_20200710-181330.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IMG_20200712_124337.jpg
IMG_20200712_124337.jpg