How many carbs per day?

Buxton1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trying to follow a low carb diet, but I don't know what is the lowest amount of carbs to eat per day. Can anyone help? I'm T1.

Genie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Trying to follow a low carb diet, but I don't know what is the lowest amount of carbs to eat per day. Can anyone help? I'm T1.

Hi, If you try and stick to somewhere between 120 - 150 you should lower your blood count and maybe lose a little weight.
Good luck.
Genie1

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the amount you need per day is zero. I try to aim for between 20 and 30g usually although this week am going even more ultra low than usual. Yesterday I had 4g all from lactofree milk and double cream.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no essential carbs.
When on the Atkins diet I was eating 80 gm of carbs per day and found it sustainable and enjoyable, if that is any help. I was quite active and did two short sessions of planned exercise each day, and was losing weight very slowly at that level.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Can you tell us a little more about your insulin regime, your aims with LC and your current carb amounts?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Buxton1998

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't believe it's healthy to stop all carbs, I take insulin 4 times a day and carb count. I don't want to abolish carbs just an idea of the minimum I can get away with . I don't necessarily have carbs at every meal and adjust my insulin accordingly.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't believe it's healthy to stop all carbs, I take insulin 4 times a day and carb count. I don't want to abolish carbs just an idea of the minimum I can get away with . I don't necessarily have carbs at every meal and adjust my insulin accordingly.

The answer to that is what suits you :) Low carb is anything up to 130g per day.

You'll probably find it easier to spread your carbs over the day and avoid carb-free meals as then you'll have to bolus for protein, which causes a delayed rise and is harder to bolus for than carbs.

I suggest you gradually reduce your carbs and then see what level suits you. That will also give you a chance to adjust your insulin carefully. If it was me, I'd do this over a period of weeks, depending on how low you want to go.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That sounds like good advice, I have been trying to keep at around the 130/150g but wasn't sure if that classed as low.

If that level is keeping your bg levels in check then stick with it @Buxton1998

Someday's I'll eat 150g and other days 180g, if your comfortable at adjusting your own insulin then you can be more flexible around meal times, just remember there's no prizes for how low (or high) that someone goes with their carb intake, just do what works for you. Best wishes.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
as a type 1 for 45 years I have adjusted my carb intake as I get older -- I currently aim around the 110 - 140 carbs per day.
some days are a bit lower but I never stop myself eating if I push beyond 140 carbs either

you will find what suits you best by using your meter !!

all the best !

Reactions: azure

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
How do you know how much insulin to take if on low carb as I take mix 50 insulin twice a day

Harder when on mixed insulin as you will need to know how many carbs you are having at each meal now, and if you are needing to snack on your current doses, and if you are happy with your current bg levels...

Patsy33

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you. Although I have been on insulin for 37 years my diabetic nurse has never mentioned low carb diet so I will try her for help as I already have a lot of hypos.

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, If you try and stick to somewhere between 120 - 150 you should lower your blood count and maybe lose a little weight.
Good luck.
Genie1
No no no! Aim for 20 - 30 g carb per day if you want to avoid the complications and degeneration.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That seems to low! You still need carbs.
Humans have NO NEED for carbs. Some of us eat them for nutrition, some of eat them because we like them. I eat 20 or less per day and have done so for over 25 years by choice. I became much healthier, as many of us limiting carbs.