How many crabs a day do you consume?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently about 250g per day on days I train this is because I am looking to add some mass.

On days I do not train it's about 150g.

My carb sources are oats, sweet potato, brown breads, brown rice and/or brown pasta. I aim to get about 2800cals per day and on the days where carbs are lower they are replaced by good fats,

D

Deleted Account

Thank you @Chowie for raising this question. It has helped put a little nagging doubt at rest.
There is a lot on this forum about low carb diets ... for obvious reasons.
I have not felt the need to adopt a low carb diet as I have not had a problem matching my insulin time and dose to the carbs I eat and have no reason to lose weight.
However, with the high profile of low carb diets I have been wondering if I *should* eat less but not sure why.
I am now happier keeping my diet as it is ... apart from cutting down on food with ridiculous amounts of plastic wrapping but that's a completely different topic.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently about 250g per day on days I train this is because I am looking to add some mass.,

For mass building, would it not be better to keep the carbs up on rest days and perhaps raise the bolus injections amount slightly to cover (obviously test more), in my younger days when I was heavier it's what I did to get weight on.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w Yea I guess so, tbh I'm not used to adjusting carbs insulin etc as on the 30/70 I would have static insulin doses and cycle the carbs. I really need to get out of that mind set and start pushing this MDI insulin to it's true potential.

Also I am struggling eating that many carbs after 30+ years of a relatively low carb diet.

Reactions: kev-w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have spent the whole of my adult life - or at least it seems that way, struggling to control my weight when bombarded with the information and insistence that I 'must' eat carbohydrates.
From my early 20s to the age of 65 I caved in from times to time and followed diets which were not low carb. I just got heavier and heavier, but over and over - when doctors departed from the surgery, I went back to low carb and my weight dropped.
I am not sure if I have always been diabetic or close to it but it was masked by the low carbing, or if my metabolism was eventually worn down by old age and sugar - either way - from now on I am sticking to low carb - I don't intend to die fat.

Reactions: AvocadoQueen

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the region of 105-120g a day, depending on what I have for dinner. I've given up on breakfast, because even with a 30 minute pre-bolus and less than 10g of carbs, the only options it produces are high and higher. I have the same thing for lunch every day. The only variable is dinner, which is normally something with vegetables. If I changed my lunch slightly, I could go a lot lower, but I don't want to :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup.

No food before 11am. No matter what.

I’ve been told that no food at all just exacerbates the morning rise problem. A tiny amount of food 0.5-1 carb is better than nothing. Tried no carb food and ended up with a higher rise than with my usual berries and yoghurt. Even with a shed load of bolus.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been sorting the dawn phenomenon with half an avocado, a tablespoon each of mayonnaise and peanut butter with a sprinkle of lemon juice, salt and black pepper and a unit of insulin (assuming my waking levels are in range). It comes to about 5g carbs.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been told that no food at all just exacerbates the morning rise problem. A tiny amount of food 0.5-1 carb is better than nothing. Tried no carb food and ended up with a higher rise than with my usual berries and yoghurt. Even with a shed load of bolus.
Yeah, I know, no matter what I'm doing it's wrong. Or is it just that there is no real answer to any of it.

AvocadoQueen

I have not been diagnosed with diabetes but was up to 15 stone by the end of September so I started eating ketogenic food and am trying to limit my daily carbs to around 20-30g per day. Mainly from leafy greens, and dairy, and nuts and seeds. Protein, I try and keep to 55-60g per day. Fats, between 55 and 120g per day. So far it has worked well for me, I have lost 1 stone and three pounds (it fluctuates daily but is trending downwards) and I do not crash out after a meal now I have cut carbs. I do urge people to try removing carbs and seeing how you respond. There is no point having high carb diet if you can feel better and healthier without them. I am convinced my blood sugars would have been very high before I started keto, I just avoided going to the doctors and so will never know. I am never going back to eating all that junk again, being keto feels so much better.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Around 200 grams per day

2 christmass ago I did eat a xmas pud (for 4) and a pint of custard to myself (aprox 275 gramms of carbs). Had to give myself 35units of insulin for that :D sure was nice lol

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Around 200 grams per day

2 christmass ago I did eat a xmas pud (for 4) and a pint of custard to myself (aprox 275 gramms of carbs). Had to give myself 35units of insulin for that :D sure was nice lol

Good grief! What if you hadn't finished it? Or did you split the dose to make sure it was all consumed?

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good grief! What if you hadn't finished it? Or did you split the dose to make sure it was all consumed?

Xmas pud is my downfall in life. There was no way I wasn't finishing it. I split the dose too (just in case) :D

Reactions: Celsus and db89

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Between 20-30g and have reduced basal and don't bolus at all

Reactions: JoeT1

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
43 years ago when first diagnosed I was told to aim for 200g carbs per day, even counting the carbs in milk for my tea/coffee, I don't like milk in drinks now but have always aimed for the 200g.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I wish the OP / @Chowie would edit the thread heading from crabs to carbs, as we had two mud crabs for dinner. yesterday.

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After being on a pump for a little over a month I have seriously been counting carbs and horrified how many I consume per day it's about 190. I suspect that is way to high. How many carbs do you consume a day?
You should worry! I punch the air with glee if my daily carbs total is below 200! My wife loves potatoes [3 types every dinner} and I eat toast and have a wretched sweet tooth. My H1Abc is around 7.4 so could be worse I suppose.