How many had Covid even though had all their jabs

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Ok here goes I had my second booster and a flu jab last Wendesday, I had told them I had a cold and they said so long as no temperature your ok to have it even though I said I maybe should cancel it for now! arms hurt like nothing the next day as had the flu jab in one arm the booster in the other arm , and my cold was worse on last Friday so I thought i best test for covid with a rapid flow test which turned out to be POSITIVE, have now got covid yet had all my darn boosters this be day 4 and still full of cold my nose is the worst and I am feeling terrible, I am asking how long this lasts and do you think having the booster when I did has contributed to me feeling like death warmed up ??? and how long do you think this darn cold last ???

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sorry to see you have covid hope it’s not too bad for you.
I had three full doses of the vaccine but still ended up in the hospital with covid pneumonia in both lungs I am consoled by the thought that without the vaccine probability is I would not of survived it.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
ohhh sorry to hear this but yes I had five doses now got to be thankful for something I know and glad your better am hoping each day I get a little better mega hugzzzz

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got Covid about 6 weeks ago - I have had 4 jabs so far (booked in for my 5th now)
For me it was mostly just like a bad cold (with an everlasting cough afterwards - but I have had persistent coughs before - well before covid was a thing), I suspect the vaccines meant it didn't hit me as badly as it would've otherwise done so

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry you are feeling unwell.
I don't think it is possible to tell whether you feel worse because you have just had your jabs - it may be related or it may not.
But, as far as getting covid despite having had your jabs, your last jab takes 2 weeks to become effective so will not provide protection this week. And whilst the jabs do not provide full protection, they significantly reduce the severity of the virus. You may be feeling terrible but you are not in the hospital.
I have had my full tranche of jabs. Earlier in the year, I had a bad cold. As I was going out, I did a lateral flow test and testing positive. The hardest part was managing my diabetes but I have had worse colds so was able to continue working from home. And I tested clear 4 days after my first positive test.

We are all different and I am a sample of one. But I hope your experience is not far from mine.
Take care.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my booster last Christmas then had Covid back in April.
8 days positive on the Antigen tests.
Only had a mild sniffle for 2 days.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The vaccinations don't stop us getting covid. After about 2 weeks, if we have healthy immune systems, the vaccine helps make covid less serious than it would have been. That's it. It doesn't stop us getting it. Less serious varies, as some would only have felt very unwell, and some would have died without the vaccine. We don't know. And each infection of covid does not build immunity for more than about 10 weeks

I am not going to provide links, there are plenty of reputable studies about this in a basic search, and threads with links elsewhere on this forum.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear you have COVID. I had my 4 shots. 8 weeks after my last shot I got COVID. Put me in bed. Felt like a real bad case of the flu, aches, fever, headache, coughing, soaked through with sweat and of course taste and smell went. My BSs went high but came down as I got better. I know that had I not had my shots I would definitely have been in hospital. I hope you feel better soon.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok here goes I had my second booster and a flu jab last Wendesday, I had told them I had a cold and they said so long as no temperature your ok to have it even though I said I maybe should cancel it for now! arms hurt like nothing the next day as had the flu jab in one arm the booster in the other arm , and my cold was worse on last Friday so I thought i best test for covid with a rapid flow test which turned out to be POSITIVE, have now got covid yet had all my darn boosters this be day 4 and still full of cold my nose is the worst and I am feeling terrible, I am asking how long this lasts and do you think having the booster when I did has contributed to me feeling like death warmed up ??? and how long do you think this darn cold last ???
I got Covid (and flu simultaneousl) despite being fully vaxxed. I wasn’t quite eligible for the new autumn booster and it was nearly a year since my last one. So no it didnt stop me getting it, nor did it keep me out of hospital with complications that arise from both flu and covid. But I didn’t die or end up in icu. Who knows what would have happened otherwise. I’m grateful I had them and will get the new booster. Edit to add I tested positive for 13 days So isolated til negative to protect the rest of my family.

You obviously had covid when you got jabbed. I can’t see why the jab would have made it worse other than any vaccine whilst unwell adds the the job the immune system is trying to do and possibly prolongs the illness as a result. It’s perfectly common to feel terrible with covid with or without jabs at the same time so you’ll never know. It’s not a cold it’s covid. And I‘m sorry to say this mantra of “it’s only a cold” is contributing to people not realising that what they think is a cold is actually covid.

As to how long it’ll last it’s like the piece of string. Some barely know they have it, most feel better in about 5 or 6 days so hopefully you’re through the worst of it and a few like me can barely leave the bed for weeks.

Last edited:

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Had original 2 covid jags plus booster, I was in hospitalabout 2 months ago had a routine PCR test positive I tested every day for 5days after ( as per gov instruction ) all lat flow test were negative , had I not gone into hospital I wouldn’t have known , due to other medical conditions I have been asked to return for the further vaccinations none of which I am taking , I’ve had covid didn’t know anything about it

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had original 2 covid jags plus booster, I was in hospitalabout 2 months ago had a routine PCR test positive I tested every day for 5days after ( as per gov instruction ) all lat flow test were negative , had I not gone into hospital I wouldn’t have known , due to other medical conditions I have been asked to return for the further vaccinations none of which I am taking , I’ve had covid didn’t know anything about it
a word of caution: vaccinations dont prevent you from getting covid, they make the symptoms less than they would be otherwise.

However: each time you get covid, its a gamble how severe the illness. Having had it doesnt make you immune. Long covid is a real thing. Having had it mildly once doesnt mean it will be mild next time, particularly as new strains are arriving all the time.

Reactions: jjraak and HSSS

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
a word of caution: vaccinations dont prevent you from getting covid, they make the symptoms less than they would be otherwise.

However: each time you get covid, its a gamble how severe the illness. Having had it doesnt make you immune. Long covid is a real thing. Having had it mildly once doesnt mean it will be mild next time, particularly as new strains are arriving all the time.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope you continue improving @Patsy B .

I had both jabs when offered.

Lady at work felt sick one Sunday, Nov last year, when I spent 20 minutes in her company.
She went sick Monday ..I went sick Wednesday .

Felt dreadful, but did the "no no no, its only a cold" mind gymnastics...

Thursday felt worse, tested.
The faintest of lines, so feint I almost ignored it ...almost

Booked PCR test at facility, POSITIVE.
7 days in bed, rough as I've ever been. Lost taste & smell , felt dreadful.

Read You can retrain senses, so once I get an appetite, I ate overly spicy & very sweet (short term pain, long term gain)....about day 10 I get taste buds/ smell back.
Back to good health about 3 weeks after it all started.

Did jabs help....mmhh
Have asthma so aware how much worse I 'could' have been.
I say they did, personally.

Kicker was I was then ruled out of 3rd jab because I'd had covid, then had the joy of spending Xmas in a hospital bed, as nearby wards filled up with covid patients.

The sounds of people coughing & gasping for breathe :wideyed: :arghh:

Missus recently had it, rough for several days, now back at work but struggling with the fatigue 2 weeks later.

It's not gone away.

Reactions: PatsyB

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thank you for all your replies and yes unfortunately COVID looks like it is here to stay so important we all still wash hands and wear masks I know I will be wearing a mask when I go out shopping etc, good health to all, stay safe and mega hugzzzz

Cultivator

I had covid back in April . I had had 3 jabs by then, I was feeling a bit 'nesh' as we say in Yorkshire and my daughter nagged me into testing.. I was surprised to be positive. I was lucky to be in a position where I could spend a couple of days doing nothing and just resting it out (no I am not the prime minister) but, honestly, it was less of a drama than when I used to get flu before the flu jab! I agree it would probably have been so much worse without vaccine and if I needed to go to work or look after children or all those other things! I had flu and covid shots on same weekend a couple of weeks ago and that did knock me back though. Hope you are recovering PatsyB

Reactions: jjraak and PatsyB

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yes feeling a lot better and back to walking the dog's ..it has left me with a little cough and sinuses feel a bit rough but hopefully all will be gone glad I had all my shots.....

Reactions: lucylocket61

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Has anyone had a jab for covid this year I not been told to have one as of yet so hopefully we not need one!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had 4 jabs now & had covid twice
Unlucky I guess.
2 jabs of Astra Zenica & 2 Pfizer.

My wife does work at the hospital though she's only had it the once....