How many Hypos

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe twice a week between 3.6 and 4.0 (which are normal numbers for a non-diabetic, by the way. Only counted as hypo in diabetics because too close to the danger-zone). Maybe once a month between 3.0 and 3.6. The last one below 3 must have been four months ago or so, when I thought I could go swimming without eating beforehand.
I'm pretty similar. I'm very active so I have a stash of cereal bars and if I even start to think I'm heading down then I eat.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a one or two hypos a day kind of person. Usually very mild. Most of them aren't a surprise, as there are certain times of day when they are just more likely to happen. It doesn't happen every day, but quite often.

With Lantus, just before lunch, and just before the evening meal, are the most likely times. They are a bit of a nuisance, but a mild one isn't that much of an issue. I tend to have a keep my blood sugar low, and correct small hypos, policy. I just prefer that. Though that's on a good day, some days blood sugars just run higher.

However unexpected bigger hypos are another issue, then the cause has to be identified, and protective measures, against a repetition, introduced.

I've just changed to Levemir, so I don't yet know when my blood sugar low points will be, yet. But once I know, I expect to do pretty much the same thing.

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I should of added.. that although i'm having more hypos than usual at the moment, they are mild ones, so lowest has been 3.2 in the last week.. I don't think there is a right/wrong answer with hypos as they are generally unavoidable and although afterwards we can work out why, and of course if we knew we were going to have them then we wouldn't..

Personally I find type 1 very manageable bar the hypos, it's the hypos which can floor me, have been known to sleep for 2 hours middle of the day after a low (below 2.8). If I have a mild one then it usually keeps me quiet for a few hours afterwards but still function fine.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exciting times, has the basal testing began yet.....?

No. :) I had the first dose this morning. The Lantus said goodbye with a very high blood sugar last night.

I'll see how it goes, if there seems to be any unusual behaviour, at any time of the day, I might try one of these basal test things.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No. :) I had the first dose this morning. The Lantus said goodbye with a very high blood sugar last night.

I'll see how it goes, if there seems to be any unusual behaviour, at any time of the day, I might try one of these basal test things.

Best of luck.....;)

Reactions: Alison54321

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I swim without eating extra and still have to inject afterwards, and maybe 2 hours after that. Rotten Adrenalin!
Whereas I usually need to carb load (amount depends on when I'm swimming/what I'm swimming and how I am that day) and can drop a lingering high I'd normally inject for of 14 to <7 in 40-45 mins, rarely needing a jab to lower me.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't had a genuine (3's) hypo in a very long time, maybe I had a 3.9 a few weeks back. However I drink multiple juice boxes and eat lollies every day because my blood sugar is falling, it's just that I'm usually able to correct before I reach 'low' levels. So I would have lows at least once a day if I didn't fix things in time.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys. I must say I am surprised at how many you’re having.
1 mild one (just under 4) with last HBa1C is slightly **** at 58 (7.5%)..But I have to live and exercise so cannot be doing with digging out the jelly babies 6 times a day or worse still at night.

Reactions: mountaintom

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anywhere from 1-3 a day Monday to Friday, very rarely any on the weekend. I work for UPS right now as delivery driver so I move around and lift a lot which can cause the low blood sugars. Even though I am getting these lows I know about 95% of the time when they're coming and catch it just as its gone low and have sort of a system that allows me to have my snack or meal and bolus accordingly.

Reactions: mountaintom

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anywhere from 1-3 a day Monday to Friday, very rarely any on the weekend. I work for UPS right now as delivery driver so I move around and lift a lot which can cause the low blood sugars. Even though I am getting these lows I know about 95% of the time when they're coming and catch it just as its gone low and have sort of a system that allows me to have my snack or meal and bolus accordingly.

Does your consultant know about this?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I mean, one shouldn’t be having hypos all the time.

You're right but there's hypos and there's hypos, a dip to 3.9 is a 'clinical' hypo but after a lot of years it doesn't affect you 'too much', as long as you're bringing it up, of course if your 3.9 is in the first hour or so from your injection you've the potential for trouble, but if it's say from the tail 4 - 5 hours later it's soon coming up.

Again a sleeping hypo can be troublesome as it's happening over a longer period of time and too much glucose can impact on your breakfast bolus leaving you spiking high mid morning and chasing your a**e all day with correction jabs and snacks, but I guess that's T1 diabetes.....

D

Deleted Account

a dip to 3.9 is a 'clinical' hypo but after a lot of years it doesn't affect you 'too much',
And, considering the error tolerance of most meters, it might not even be a "clinical hypo" - it could easily be over 4.

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Agree with @kev-w I get plenty of those hovering between 3 and 4 due to timing when I'm bolusing for my meals etc that aren't really a problem but will be viewed as one by all the apps, but I don't get many below 3 hypos anymore.

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And, considering the error tolerance of most meters, it might not even be a "clinical hypo" - it could easily be over 4.

My libre said 3.2 this morning tho' I didn't 'feel' hypo, but a finger prick said 4.2 and the libre has no data function to tell it when it's wrong, and the other week I tested a finger from each hand to prove a point to my eldest, one was 1.1mmol higher than the other.

D

Deleted Account

My libre said 3.2 this morning tho' I didn't 'feel' hypo, but a finger prick said 4.2 and the libre has no data function to tell it when it's wrong, and the other week I tested a finger from each hand to prove a point to my eldest, one was 1.1mmol higher than the other.
Some people report low readings when they are in bed and lying on their Libre because the Libre reports low when you apply pressure.
May have nothing to do with your low Libre reading.

Personally, I found the Libre often reported low (and high) during my trial but it seems some people are just not Libre-compatible.

Reactions: kev-w