How many of us are following the low-carb diet?

dwilson32392

me too - trying for less than 40g p.d. which keeps me 'flatlining' more or less.

Your question is a good one. almost everone who tests BG intelligently ends up realising how **** the standard advice is, because it invariably produces higher BG levels. The question is, how can we do anything to try and get it changed? anyone got any good ideas?

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi dwilson,

Up here, we've just started running presentations for GP practices and the reception has been very positive so far. Hoping to run a pilot study early next year on the effect upon diabetics (blood glucose, insulin responsible, lipds, BMI) of carbohydrate restriction. Some lottery funding so far and trying to raise private funding also.

fergus

marymorgan

Hi all

Just want to say i found this site completely by accident on Friday night, surfing the net feeling very ill and depressed about my condition. And i have been addicted to it ever since and now feel able to post....

I was diagnose T2 sept 06 didnt manage it particularly well, I spose i was in denial. Have been on
2 x Metformin 500g for 12 months now, but recently felt really ill ,,, tired, dizzy, just strange feeling really cant describe it, so tested and levels were 10 not particularly high compared to some i have read on here but high for me. I had my half yeary blood tests Fri morn and i know when i go to the DN for my results next Friday they are going to be rubbish.. She is almost certainly going to change my meds but i am hoping to persuade her to let me try the low carb 1st and c how i get on

Since reading all your posts about low carb i started it yesterday, (now a macca nut addict lol didnt take long did it) and i have to say I do feel better, no sweating, no pounding, no feeling strangly ill, and no hunger.

I have been told not to test as it is not necessary so i dont know what my average levels are but i will b pushing for some strips on Friday and will get into the habit of testing.

Anyway i just want to say its very early days for me but thank you this site has been a mine of info just wish i had found it 12 mths ago

Thank you xxx

Mary :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the site,Mary.Yes levels of 10 will make you feel ill!I hope you do get test strips ,explain to the nurse that you want to check which foods are sending your blood sugar levels up and that you want to try and reduce them before thinking about medication.She may well feel that you should be on meds.You can also try taking the meds plus reducing your carbs,this will take down your BS levels and you will feel a lot better for it.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Mary and welcome.

I hope you find some of the ideas and experiences on here helpful. In my view, the low carb diet is something you will find immediate benefit from and you needn't wait for approval from your health team. There are still some health professionals out there who are very hostile towards it, for no other reason than it runs counter to the current dogma (which of course parallels the explosion in diabetes and obesity). You may be lucky and find more open minded people, but then again....
If you find resistance to low-carb ideas, be sure to tell your health team that the British National Formulary clearly states that exercise and carbohydrate restriction should be the first response to diagnosis and the General Medical Council therefore regards this as best practice.

Best wishes,

fergus

marymorgan

Dare say i will find out Friday,,,

surely your own body is the best judge if you feel better it gotta b gud rite!!!!! or is that too logical :shock:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Far too logical, Mary!
Prepare to be told that if you don't eat your starchy carbs, turtles will steal your hat and chickens will lay eggs in your slippers. Or something. That's the sort of logic we're dealing with sometimes :shock:

fergus

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Welcome Mary - the experience we have on this site from the various diabetics and caregivers of diabetics is huge so do take advantage!! So glad you feel like one of the family :)

You so rightly said that YOUR body is unique and you need to find out what works for you best - good luck :)

J/xxx

marymorgan

Well gem i think i can safely say i am hooked,,, lol didnt think anything cud get me off facebook for more than five mins but this site has lol cant b bad :D

am coming to the end of another day and so far feeling gud.... 8)

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
that's absolutely fine m'dear - I don't mind being likened to a diamond (in the rough?)

and for some reason both my facebook and myspace have been down for several weeks :( ...

But I'm here alot too :) in case you hadn't noticed haha!

J/xxx

marymorgan

Err yer i noticed, 8) and for the record anyone who can inspire me to improve this condition of mine is a diamond in my book :lol:

creep creep lol

Jem

Dislikes
how's it going now Mary? hope all's good in the land of turtles and erm, whatever else it was Fergus said ;) ...

J/xxx

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Hee hee I know the facebook feeling Mary, I luuurve the kitten application! Mind you, I adopted a real kitten on Saturday so I think she's going to be occupying my attention for the near future!

Jem

Dislikes
oooooooooooooooooops ... I had a dog (I cannot type the name I gave him on here because the swear-o-meter will go BING) on facebook, but I think he may have starved or run away from home by now! bless him ... good job he was only an e-dawg!

xxx

marymorgan

Ha Ha,

Hi guys, its goin ok ty Jem, I got a husky on facebook an i keep forgettin to go feed him etc tut tut.. got one for real too no chance of forgettin him he gorgeous..
i bort in for lunch some chicken stirfry with spinach went a bit mad on the spinach tho lol looks very ermmm green..... lol

Jem

Dislikes
hmm I love baby spinach (pousse) drizzled with lemon juice and wine vinegar ... hmmmmmm