How many of us are following the low-carb diet?

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
i did an experiment yesterday, was naughty as well as have not been bothered to eat my full lunch when i could

had a pack of crisps for the first time in about 3 months, felt ok but BG up at teatime

anyway went to bed with a cracking headache (yes now i remember this from about 4 months ago when i could not shake them off) still got it this am and BG up to over 14 (has been about 11/12 in a morning though going lower in the day)

so i guess that's crisps off the menu then :cry: but have to say don't want any more of these headaches!

am off to see the doc tomorrow to review my progress and for the Hba1c results will see how i have done keep it all crossed for me :shock:

Ozzie

Dislikes
DUK
low carb here as well, 20g a day max, but then i want to stay off medications altogether cause I'm rubbish at remembering to take them.

Trinkwasser

Now Fergus you're just being ridiculous.

Everyone knows it's the chickens that will steal your hat and the turtles that will lay eggs in your slippers.

Obviously the low carb diet has affected your delusions.

cyclopse180

i started on a very low carb diet the weight fell off but always hungary so put up my carbs to 100-150 killed the hunger pains but stopped losing weight got me blood sugar levels down to 5.5 -6.00 is there any way to get it lower without starving myself :wink:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Give us some idea of what you are actually eating,TBH I very rarely feel hungry on low carb,so maybe there are things that you can add without pushing up your carb intake too much.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
A good low carb diet isn't starving! I'm rarely hungry

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Cyclopse,
A low-carb diet isn't a low-food diet! If you are cutting down on the carbs then it is essential that you cut down on the ones that do the most damage, and eat more of the healthy ones. So get rid of all the starches (cereals, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes) and instead eat more vegetables and protein, and possibly slightly more fruit provided it doesn't spike your blood sugars. Eating more protein in particular will leave you feeling much fuller after a meal and gets rid of the between-meals hunger pangs that are common with starchy carbs.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Since going low carb (I usually have around 50 grammes a day) I have rarely felt hungry (the only times have been carb-hangovers, ie the day after a pizza binge I wake up starving and bloated) and often go hours without remembering to eat. I have never felt this way in my life - it's really working out well for me. All the best Cyclopse :)

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
hi everyone, i,ve put mum on low carb and she has had great results!!
p.x

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not sure if I really qualify as following a low carb diet, as I have no real idea how many I'm actually eating a day. But I have bought into the overall philosophy.

But since being diagnosed T2 in Aug last year (diet and exercise only, at present) I have dropped bread, rice, pasta and potatoes from my basic diet and have added much more salad, nuts and fruit. I haven't adjusted my alcohol (beer and wine), but am pretty happy with the results so far (Hba1c first retest down from 6.9 to 6.2; next due next month, lost 28 lbs in weight, but still 42 to go!).

I don't stick to this religiously, and interestingly, after having just come back from 5 days in Italy (where I had a large pizza and an excellent buffet breakfast every day), can still lose weight and find no undue spike in BS. I lost 4lbs (but was probably walking 5-6 miles a day, and drinking less alcohol than usual). Testing after the pizzas was still around 8, and back to 6 for overnight fasting. My last week or so has been screwed up by a cortisone injection, so I may have taken the opportunity to be a bit naughty in my choices, whilst my body was still adjusting :)

I tend to buy very few processed foods now (other than weightwatchers fat free yoghourts), as I can't find much with carb counts under 10%, so I've learned to make interesting salads and stir frys again, and have almost managed to remove pub snacks from the diet completely!

At present, I'm getting what seem to be acceptable results, without becoming obsessive about particular counts. I'd prefer to keep it that way, but can see that if/when I do plateau, there is a process I can follow to try and kick start it further. If I can lose the extra 42 lbs over the next 12 months by following this routine, I'll be exstatic!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
welshtony - you don't need to go for the Weight Watchers yoghurt. That stuff still has plenty of sugar in it. Why not try plain greek yoghurt (if you're lo-carbing there's no reason not tto go for full fat stuff) with some berries mixed in? I do this almost everyday, and it's bloody lovely! Sometimes I add a touch of honey, too...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Aadrgon said:
I'm down to under 60gms carb a day :)

I'm with Aadrgon on this. Weight dropping off.

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Patch said:
welshtony - you don't need to go for the Weight Watchers yoghurt. That stuff still has plenty of sugar in it. Why not try plain greek yoghurt (if you're lo-carbing there's no reason not tto go for full fat stuff) with some berries mixed in? I do this almost everyday, and it's bloody lovely! Sometimes I add a touch of honey, too...

I never used to eat yoghourt at all. At least the WW stuff is reasonably palatable. And it only has 7% carbs, which seemed to be the lowest I could find.

But I'll try some plain greek next time; thanks for the suggestion.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Patch said:

Unfortunately Patch, some of us have to go low fat as well - it still works, for me anyway.

Cheers
Ken

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Lo-fat Greek yoghurt is stocked more than regular Greek yoghurt in most supermarkets. It's worth the extra 5 mins it takes to cut up some fruit and add to the yoghurt - it means you're not getting any of the additives put into WW yoghurts...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lidl's Greek yogurt id 10% fat and delicious.