How much weight have YOU lost?

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm jumping in on this thread. My partner bought me a Fitbit for Xmas. (Sence 2) I love it. I love the fact that my work outs, my sleep, my heart and the universe are all quantifiable in an easy to read format. I particularly like the sleep part of it. I noticed that I can sleep for 7 hours and have a 'fair' night's sleep, and yet I can sleep for 6 hours and have a 'good' night's sleep. It's all about the quality. That was an eye opener as it effects blood sugar. I always aimed for 7 hours or more and thought that was enough, but you can have 7 hours, but unless it's a quality sleep it doesn't mean much. I'm doing on average 27,000 steps everyday and it states I'm burning 2500 calories a day exercising. Which seems to me to be about right. HairySmurf interesting that you think it's not that accurate. I'm in ketosis according to my urine samples. Been on this weight loss gig since last May. Lost 35 lbs due to my low carb diet and exercise, but it has not made much difference. My AC1 results have not really changed that much. Gone from diabetic to pre-diabetic not a big shift, something like 0.4 % change. I saw the Dr today. We are going to revisit the AC1 tests in 3 months. He didn't much like my C-peptides from a year or so ago but then said we all lose some pancreas function with age. I'm getting on but I'm not that old I thought. My resting heart rate averages around 72 bpm but can drop to 58 at night. When I execise I do a mixture of fat burn and cardio. So my heart rate can go up to 150 if I'm really going for it, or it can bimble along happily between 100 - 120 bpm, but soon comes down. My blood pressure is good as are my cholesterol figures. I don't drink alcohol, I love gin and tequila but can't risk it, as it aggravates my prepencity to have hypos. I keep well hydrated as that can be a thing in itself. :)

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm jumping in on this thread. My partner bought me a Fitbit for Xmas. (Sence 2) I love it. I love the fact that my work outs, my sleep, my heart and the universe are all quantifiable in an easy to read format. I particularly like the sleep part of it. I noticed that I can sleep for 7 hours and have a 'fair' night's sleep, and yet I can sleep for 6 hours and have a 'good' night's sleep. It's all about the quality. That was an eye opener as it effects blood sugar. I always aimed for 7 hours or more and thought that was enough, but you can have 7 hours, but unless it's a quality sleep it doesn't mean much. I'm doing on average 27,000 steps everyday and it states I'm burning 2500 calories a day exercising. Which seems to me to be about right. HairySmurf interesting that you think it's not that accurate. I'm in ketosis according to my urine samples. Been on this weight loss gig since last May. Lost 35 lbs due to my low carb diet and exercise, but it has not made much difference. My AC1 results have not really changed that much. Gone from diabetic to pre-diabetic not a big shift, something like 0.4 % change. I saw the Dr today. We are going to revisit the AC1 tests in 3 months. He didn't much like my C-peptides from a year or so ago but then said we all lose some pancreas function with age. I'm getting on but I'm not that old I thought. My resting heart rate averages around 72 bpm but can drop to 58 at night. When I execise I do a mixture of fat burn and cardio. So my heart rate can go up to 150 if I'm really going for it, or it can bimble along happily between 100 - 120 bpm, but soon comes down. My blood pressure is good as are my cholesterol figures. I don't drink alcohol, I love gin and tequila but can't risk it, as it aggravates my prepencity to have hypos. I keep well hydrated as that can be a thing in itself. :)
Congratulations on your 35 pound weight loss. Your A1c sounds pretty good to me. Mine has been steadily coming down since the start of my fitness journey. The heart rate numbers you describe sounds like me. I’m having to work a lot harder now days to get my heart rate up. I really need strength training right now.

• Friendly
Reactions: Melgar

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, my AC1's are relatively good and it's very positive they are not going up at least. I'm very creative in getting my sugars down. I ate very few carbs yesterday and went for a brisk walk in the snow. Trudging through snow made my body work a lot harder. I was rewarded with fasting blood sugars of 4.9 mmol\l this morning. I was very likely mildly hypo last night, but not enough to wake me. I do wonder where all the circulating blood glucose comes from, but I will hold onto the positives . Arrrh yes the heart rate numbers and fat burn. I was a competitive long distance runner in another life and getting into those zones becomes harder and harder as your fitness increases. I have a fair few historical log books detailing my running times, heart rate, blood pressure. You name it and I logged it, but I never logged my blood sugars. It wasn't even on my radar.

Reactions: Prancy

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm doing on average 27,000 steps everyday and it states I'm burning 2500 calories a day exercising. Which seems to me to be about right. HairySmurf interesting that you think it's not that accurate.
The calorie burn figures were not accurate in my case. My suspicion is that a person has to be relatively close to the average level of cardiovascular fitness in order for their calorie burn figures to be close to accurate, as their figures are calculated based on heart rate, but that's just a guess. I also do like the sleep score function though I take it with a big grain of salt. On one occasion I had a 24 hour blood pressure monitor strapped to my arm, going off every 40 minutes at night, which is noisy and slightly painful when the cuff inflates fully. Sometimes when it went off I would toss and turn in bed afterwards trying to get to sleep, always conscious to keep my arm straight so the BP monitor wouldn't keep repeating it's measurements. At best I dozed, never fully asleep, and the Fitbit graph for my heartrate showed I never hit my usual sleeping heartrate. Despite all that, Fitbit told me I got around 7.5 hours of sleep, with 2 hours or so of 'deep sleep', with a sleep score of something like 76. Fitbit may be good at telling you your sleep quality, maybe, it just can't tell if you're actually asleep in the first place so long as you're not moving ;) I've also found bugs in how Active Zone Minutes are calculated in the Fitbit app for Android. I've attached a screenshot I posted on the Fitbit community forum, which when compared to my weight loss rate spreadsheet, shows that Fitbit overestimated my calorie burn figures by an average of around 700 calories per day over a 2 week period. I haven't tried to test it since then as I no longer record everything I eat in detail.

Attachments

• Cals screenshot.png
    Cals screenshot.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: Melgar

Beating-My-Betes

Lost about 14 kilos over the last few weeks. Got really ill over Xmas, and still haven't completely got rid. Have put a couple of kilos back on, though as my appetite has certainly returned. Got to get a hold on that so I can leverage that initial loss.

Beating-My-Betes

I'm doing on average 27,000 steps everyday and it states I'm burning 2500 calories a day exercising.
Are you sure it is claiming that burn as exercise alone? Seems like that could be a over-calculation of close to double. Might make a bit more sense if the quoted number was as a part of (T)otal (D)aily (E)nergy (E)xpenditure. Even then, it seems off.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you sure it is claiming that burn as exercise alone? Seems like that could be a over-calculation of close to double. Might make a bit more sense if the quoted number was as a part of (T)otal (D)aily (E)nergy (E)xpenditure. Even then, it seems off.
Good point. Yes, I accept that :) I'm guessing it would be difficult to quantify exercise alone.

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The calorie burn figures were not accurate in my case. My suspicion is that a person has to be relatively close to the average level of cardiovascular fitness in order for their calorie burn figures to be close to accurate, as their figures are calculated based on heart rate, but that's just a guess. I also do like the sleep score function though I take it with a big grain of salt. On one occasion I had a 24 hour blood pressure monitor strapped to my arm, going off every 40 minutes at night, which is noisy and slightly painful when the cuff inflates fully. Sometimes when it went off I would toss and turn in bed afterwards trying to get to sleep, always conscious to keep my arm straight so the BP monitor wouldn't keep repeating it's measurements. At best I dozed, never fully asleep, and the Fitbit graph for my heartrate showed I never hit my usual sleeping heartrate. Despite all that, Fitbit told me I got around 7.5 hours of sleep, with 2 hours or so of 'deep sleep', with a sleep score of something like 76. Fitbit may be good at telling you your sleep quality, maybe, it just can't tell if you're actually asleep in the first place so long as you're not moving ;) I've also found bugs in how Active Zone Minutes are calculated in the Fitbit app for Android. I've attached a screenshot I posted on the Fitbit community forum, which when compared to my weight loss rate spreadsheet, shows that Fitbit overestimated my calorie burn figures by an average of around 700 calories per day over a 2 week period. I haven't tried to test it since then as I no longer record everything I eat in detail.
I can only dream of a good duration of sleep. So my fitbit recorded 6hrs 38 minutes of sleep last night. Broken down I had 59 minutes of deep sleep, 3hrs 50 mins of light sleep, 1 hr 49 mins of REM and I was awake 33 mins. So it's interesting that I had a score of 83. That is food for thought as your figures are better than mine yet my score is higher. I woke up feeling I had slept, but felt starved of food and extremely hungry because I went low. I could have eaten the fridge and it's contents. I wore one of those 24 hr BP monitors a few years back. Yes, nasty, squeezing every few minutes. As for exercising I take every opportunity to work my body. In a minutes I'll be shovelling snow so I can get my vehicle out. Big dump of snow, we had 30 cms of the wretched stuff yesterday. So BIG work out as it froze last night.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lost about 14 kilos over the last few weeks. Got really ill over Xmas, and still haven't completely got rid. Have put a couple of kilos back on, though as my appetite has certainly returned. Got to get a hold on that so I can leverage that initial loss.
Congrats on your progress! Is that 30 pounds? Sorry, I’m in US. In a few weeks? Wow!

Beating-My-Betes

Congrats on your progress! Is that 30 pounds? Sorry, I’m in US. In a few weeks? Wow!
Thanks! I think it's creeping more towards 31 pounds, but close enough.

I've put back 4-5kg though. My body clearly saw such rapid weightloss as an issue and has been 'helping' the regain by providing a ravenous appetite. Going to see if I can stem the tide though (Note-to-self: Don't buy any more peanuts and cashews).

Not only is downward-trending weight a good thing, but the fact that pretty much all the energy I was getting (800kcal approx) was coming from food made me feel so much better than I have for a long time...despite the over-bearing feeling of the illness.

Have to shift gears, as I have some really worrying eye developments (Fearing retinopathy).

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks! I think it's creeping more towards 31 pounds, but close enough.

I've put back 4-5kg though. My body clearly saw such rapid weightloss as an issue and has been 'helping' the regain by providing a ravenous appetite. Going to see if I can stem the tide though (Note-to-self: Don't buy any more peanuts and cashews).

Not only is downward-trending weight a good thing, but the fact that pretty much all the energy I was getting (800kcal approx) was coming from food made me feel so much better than I have for a long time...despite the over-bearing feeling of the illness.

Have to shift gears, as I have some really worrying eye developments (Fearing retinopathy).
My appetite has been up over the weekend too. I did pretty well though and hadn’t gained any this morning. I normally only have brunch, dinner and one snack, but today I had lunch, dinner and a snack. The lunch was a lot more caloric than my brunches are. I’m not worried though. Back on my plan tomorrow and to the gym.

I hope your eyes are ok. That’s always a concern for me as I have a couple of chronic, nondiabetic eye conditions that give me trouble, in addition to retinopathy fears.

Beating-My-Betes

I hope your eyes are ok. That’s always a concern for me as I have a couple of chronic, nondiabetic eye conditions that give me trouble, in addition to retinopathy fears.
Thanks! I'm hoping it's cataracts (A weird thing to write, I know). There seems to quite a bit of crosover in symptoms. Will know in a few weeks time.

Sorry to hear of your woes. Eyes are the windows to ars our souls, apparently. Would be good to hold onto them as long as possible.

Reactions: Prancy

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another update on my weight loss journey. As of today, I’m now down 63 pounds. I’m really pleased. I met with the nutritionist in my Endocrinologist’s office recently and adjusted my diet according to her suggestions. She said the plan I created was good, but could use some tweaks. She was right. The plateaus seem to have faded. She’s amazing. Really knows her stuff. My BG has improved too.

• Winner
Reactions: lovinglife

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Sad to say that I had lost from 300 pounds down to 242.
Now on the regain up to 260.6.
It's a horrible battle I wish on no one.
But at least when none of my health improved with that loss it's at least not going back to bad again. Just staying as it was.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sad to say that I had lost from 300 pounds down to 242.
Now on the regain up to 260.6.
It's a horrible battle I wish on no one.
But at least when none of my health improved with that loss it's at least not going back to bad again. Just staying as it was.
That’s a tough one. Weight has been a struggle for me for a long time, too. I take it one day at a time. I have seen positive health results though, so I hope I can continue on. I still have some Post Covid issues that may never resolve …..idk. Good luck moving forward.

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Has anyone found the secret to keeping it off?