How much weight have YOU lost?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone found the secret to keeping it off?
For me it was finding what worked and sticking to it. I lost over 11st - kept it off over 10 year, I do yo-yo up and down with a stone on then off but I know why, too much dairy especially cheese & cream, also even though I do keto and people say you don’t need to count calories on keto I definitely have to. I do best at no more than 1600 cals a day keep me stable, anything more than that for a time and I gain. I gained over Christmas not because I ate off keto plan but I ate too much cheese, cream, butter and probably nuts. At the moment I’m being strict 1400 cals to get the stone off. Finding it fairly easy and the weight is going down again.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone found the secret to keeping it off?
The difference for my weight loss this time is that I feel like this is my new lifestyle. It’s not something to endure until I get to a certain weight. And, I enjoy eating this way. It brings me joy to know that I’m providing my body with proper fuel. Trying new, healthy dishes interest me. And, I‘m not amused with foods that I know aren’t my friends. This is different for me and I hope it will be sustainable. I’m planning to take some classes and get certified so I can teach fitness and wellness one day, after I retire from my real job.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, the secret to keeping the weight off is due to not having to feel hungry. Every other weight-loss system had me ravenous, not to mention crabby, tired and weak. I eat "enough" not due to my amazing willpower (no willpower required at all) but because there is no desire to eat more. I am amazed at this.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me, the secret to keeping the weight off is due to not having to feel hungry. Every other weight-loss system had me ravenous, not to mention crabby, tired and weak. I eat "enough" not due to my amazing willpower (no willpower required at all) but because there is no desire to eat more. I am amazed at this.
That’s interesting. I guess we all have different reasons behind our struggle. For me, I think my eating was more of habit than hunger. Because I ate when I wasn’t hungry. I was never one to eat a big meal, but overdid it on snacking at night. I now have one snack at night and it’s small and healthy. I don’t get hungry that much anymore, but I’ve learned to tolerate it. I think my stomach has really shrunk. Lol

• Winner
Reactions: cdpm and MrsA2

rhaardoerfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m taking something for my mental health for the first time in my life. I live with complex PTSD and had a lot of therapy. But COVID brought up a lot of stuff. I’m on Prozac - lowest dose - and it has helped me a lot with my relationship to food. While I’m still I. The weight loss phase, it fees very different than all my many attempts earlier in life.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for sharing your story @rhaardoerfer, glad you are getting help with your mental health, it’s hard because it affects everything in your life but great to see you are feeling more positive with your relationship with food. Whilst I don’t have mental health issues I do have food issues and had an eating disorder (still do it never fully goes away) I can identify with you saying it feels different this time as it did for me too, it may encourage you to know I’m 14 years in on this T2 journey and way of eating and can count on one hand the blips I’ve had and they’ve been short lived so keep at it you doing fine :)

• Friendly
Reactions: cdpm and Antje77

rhaardoerfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for sharing your story @rhaardoerfer, glad you are getting help with your mental health, it’s hard because it affects everything in your life but great to see you are feeling more positive with your relationship with food. Whilst I don’t have mental health issues I do have food issues and had an eating disorder (still do it never fully goes away) I can identify with you saying it feels different this time as it did for me too, it may encourage you to know I’m 14 years in on this T2 journey and way of eating and can count on one hand the blips I’ve had and they’ve been short lived so keep at it you doing fine :)

Thank you for sharing! I am excited for this new phase on life even as my diabetes diagnosis was what triggered major changes. I feel better than I have in a very long time.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Happy to say I’m now down 70 pounds in my weight loss journey. Still have 30 pounds to go. I suspect they may be more difficult to lose than the first 30. I’m trying to shake things up with intermittent fasting. It’s a struggle.

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy to say I’m now down 70 pounds in my weight loss journey. Still have 30 pounds to go. I suspect they may be more difficult to lose than the first 30. I’m trying to shake things up with intermittent fasting. It’s a struggle.
Congratulations! 70 pounds is a massive achievement. You should be extremely proud of yourself :)

I'm finding it harder to lose weight as I get lighter too. Some things are easier, like hunger and cravings - I'm used to the foods and the pattern of eating. Exercise is a lot easier - I can walk farther and more often without aches and pains. I'm just finding that what used to work well in terms of diet and exercise no longer has quite the same effect. I'll just have to accept an ever-slower rate of weight loss I think - I don't fancy cutting calories any further or spending over an hour a day exercising. Some progress week on week is better than nothing.

Reactions: Prancy

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations! 70 pounds is a massive achievement. You should be extremely proud of yourself :)

I'm finding it harder to lose weight as I get lighter too. Some things are easier, like hunger and cravings - I'm used to the foods and the pattern of eating. Exercise is a lot easier - I can walk farther and more often without aches and pains. I'm just finding that what used to work well in terms of diet and exercise no longer has quite the same effect. I'll just have to accept an ever-slower rate of weight loss I think - I don't fancy cutting calories any further or spending over an hour a day exercising. Some progress week on week is better than nothing.
You have that right! It’s more difficult to get the scale to budge. My diet is tight and carefully perfected with the aid of a nutritionist. I am baffled at how slow the weight comes off now. I work out like crazy. I do need more strength training. I’m increasing that as my tennis elbow improves. Hopefully, gaining muscle will help me burn more calories.

Thank you for the kind words. I want to stay motivated as I inch towards my goal. It’s difficult to envision me losing 30 more pounds.