How much weight have YOU lost?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I could do with some help / advice, please....

I switched to low carb, medium fat a few weeks ago. Brought my blood sugars down nicely (average of 5.2 now), and lost about half a stone. However, for the last month my weight has more or less stayed the same, still hovering at the BMI of 43.

I seem to be stuck now. I don't really snack between meals much now and obviously don't eat chocolate or cake anymore so I really expected the weight to go down slowly but surely.

Any tips? I'd hate to start weighing my food or counting calories (again). I would hate to feel deprived, but I believe some of you have managed to lose weight without having to resort to these desperate measures.

I'll be going away this morning for a couple of days, back on Saturday night.
reduce your calorie intake by reducing fat content

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I switched to low carb, medium fat a few weeks ago. Brought my blood sugars down nicely (average of 5.2 now), and lost about half a stone. However, for the last month my weight has more or less stayed the same, still hovering at the BMI of 43.

I seem to be stuck now. I don't really snack between meals much now and obviously don't eat chocolate or cake anymore so I really expected the weight to go down slowly but surely.

Any tips? I'd hate to start weighing my food or counting calories (again). I would hate to feel deprived, but I believe some of you have managed to lose weight without having to resort to these desperate measures.

i might be inclined to weigh food and calorie count for, say, a week, to sense check my portion control, then act accordingly. If there's still no progress, look to reduce fats, unless you are comfy to reduce carbs more. Fats tend to be high calorie per gramm, so will be lest noticeable in a trimming exercise.

Generally, I completely empathise with a lack of enthusiasm for weighing food for the longer term.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Weighing food is such a chore. How about increasing amount of non-starchy veg, and eating more lean protein such as fish, chicken and egg. I usually find mushrooms satisfy my appetite, with seasoning, 2 minutes in microwave. Yummy and low calorie.

Also, try to increase calorie expenditure by moving more. Try not to worry, you will find a way to start dropping weight again, and well done on the blood sugar readings.

Good luck

Pipp

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

I had 3 weeks where nothing happened so I can understand your frustration. See www.dietdoctor as there are some good tips there. Dry drinking loads. And loads. It could be water retention. It could also be lack of vitamin d or b, can't remember which. What's your thyroid like? You may need it testing. Hope this helps.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
thank you all who replied. I have just come back from a few days away and stayed in a remote place where I basically had to eat whatever they served (vegetarian, with lots of pasta, rice, pastry). I didn't particularly like the food and so probably eat less than I would have at home. I also had to walk from the B&B to the meeting place twice daily (20 minutes each way) and found that even after eating vegetable lasagne and sherry trifle after the walk back to the B&B my BG was 4.1 about 90 minutes after the meal. I also lost 3 pounds, although most of that will be water, I'm sure.

My thyroid is fine, I believe, Scandichick.

I do eat a lot of protein, Pipp. For breakfast this morning I had 3 hard boiled eggs, 2 slices of ham, 1 tomato and a spoonful of cheese coleslaw. This afternoon I'll have some tomato soup and tonight chicken breast with lots of vegetables. For supper I aim to have a big bowl of strawberries.

I shall try and walk more. Now where did I put that umbrella???

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
I've lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks. I'm happy to proceed at this rate. More importantly, I have managed to lower my bg levels and get down to near normal readings in the last week. I am exercising an hour a day (with added motivation from Jamrox) low carb high veg increased protein... working well with a few tweaks. Thanks for asking

Eating and exercising my way from manic to moderate Miriam.... and a steady blood glucose.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
that's really good. Far better to find a plan that you can stick to and see as a forever thing than something you can't do for more than a few weeks. I've lost nearly 5lb this week through ditching the carbs and doing 30 mins walking a day plus the odd 10 mins on exercise bike. I've found that an afternoon walk brings my BS down nicely so that I don't go too high after my evening meal. Now I just need to work out how to stop my fasting reading being over 6.5- I suffer from nocturnal panic attacks and I think they are having a knock on effect.

Birdy

Diagnosed end March 2014. BG was average 17.4 now 6.6. Taking Metformin SR. Lost 3 stone 4 pounds. Hoping to lose another 3 stone 10 pounds. Bloody hard work!!! Complete dietary change (although I have one 'cheat day' a week but still low sugar) and exercise. 2 more pounds to 1st goal weight - which will make me lighter and slimmer than I have been for 16 years. The advice and support here, and from Hub and friends has been fab. Can't wait for next check up in July to see what bloods results show. Hopefully Cholesterol lowered as well so I can avoid the dreaded Statin!! Next challenge, starting Monday is to pack in smoking. Healthy middle age here I come!!!!

Well done all.

Lily Bird - Type 2 Diabetes 2014/Hypothyroid 2009/IBS 1995/PCOS 1992 - other than that I'm fighting fit!!!

Reactions: 8 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diagnosed end March 2014. BG was average 17.4 now 6.6. Taking Metformin SR. Lost 3 stone 4 pounds. Hoping to lose another 3 stone 10 pounds. Bloody hard work!!! Complete dietary change (although I have one 'cheat day' a week but still low sugar) and exercise. 2 more pounds to 1st goal weight - which will make me lighter and slimmer than I have been for 16 years. The advice and support here, and from Hub and friends has been fab. Can't wait for next check up in July to see what bloods results show. Hopefully Cholesterol lowered as well so I can avoid the dreaded Statin!! Next challenge, starting Monday is to pack in smoking. Healthy middle age here I come!!!!

Well done all.

Lily Bird - Type 2 Diabetes 2014/Hypothyroid 2009/IBS 1995/PCOS 1992 - other than that I'm fighting fit!!!
Wow! 3 stone 4lbs! Awesome result! You must be over the moon! I set myself the goal of 11 stone but ideally need to get to 10 stone so also need to lose 3 stone 10. Just think! We'll look like super models - lol!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wow! 3 stone 4lbs! Awesome result! You must be over the moon! I set myself the goal of 11 stone but ideally need to get to 10 stone so also need to lose 3 stone 10. Just think! We'll look like super models - lol!

Lost 1 kg last month... it is soooo slow, but at least going in the right direction. Still another 40 kg or so to go. At this rate I'll get to my preferred weight by October 2017. Depressing, really.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lost 1 kg last month... it is soooo slow, but at least going in the right direction. Still another 40 kg or so to go. At this rate I'll get to my preferred weight by October 2017. Depressing, really.
It is a pain but you're getting there slowly! Did you ever get your vitamin D levels checked out? I've got the dreaded "diabetes education " course on Tuesday where I'll have to listen to the portion control low GI lecture. What bugs me is that I'll have to listen to someone criticising my diet whilst expecting me to accept theirs. Why can't the NHS accept that there's more than one approach?

Reactions: 4 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is a pain but you're getting there slowly! Did you ever get your vitamin D levels checked out? I've got the dreaded "diabetes education " course on Tuesday where I'll have to listen to the portion control low GI lecture. What bugs me is that I'll have to listen to someone criticising my diet whilst expecting me to accept theirs. Why can't the NHS accept that there's more than one approach?

No, I never got the vitamin D checked out, but can easily start taking a multivitamin daily (forgot about your suggestion to check it).

Being prediabetic I haven't had access to diabetes education but I did book into the Xpert course, although as there are 195 in front of me on the waiting list it'll be autumn before I can get a place.

I have got some books on GI and GL, Will dig them out and see if I can speed the weight loss up a little.

Just smile sweetly on Tuesday when they tell you what you should eat and keep on doing what you're doing. You are my inspiration, Scandi, and have been eversince I joined the forum.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No, I never got the vitamin D checked out, but can easily start taking a multivitamin daily (forgot about your suggestion to check it).

Being prediabetic I haven't had access to diabetes education but I did book into the Xpert course, although as there are 195 in front of me on the waiting list it'll be autumn before I can get a place.

I have got some books on GI and GL, Will dig them out and see if I can speed the weight loss up a little.

Just smile sweetly on Tuesday when they tell you what you should eat and keep on doing what you're doing. You are my inspiration, Scandi, and have been eversince I joined the forum.
Thank you for your kind words. This is the same advice Dr Mann gave me. (The good doc at my surgery) I think you should ask your doc to check it out. It really can impact on weight loss. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

AmandaAnne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate abuse of any kind to humans or animals. I dislike judgmental people and people who are generally unkind, inconsiderate and have problems understanding the issues faced by others. I hate snakes!!! Cringe if I smell TCP!! and I cannot bare garlic!!
So far, almost 9lb in 2 weeks. A lot tell me that it's a bit too much, too soon, but I'm feeling so much better for it already and I think it's having a very positive effect on my BGL's. :)

AmandaAnne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate abuse of any kind to humans or animals. I dislike judgmental people and people who are generally unkind, inconsiderate and have problems understanding the issues faced by others. I hate snakes!!! Cringe if I smell TCP!! and I cannot bare garlic!!

I agree with you Scandichic, surely if what we do is doing us good, and getting our diabetes under good control, I really don't think it matters 2 jots how we do it! :)

AmandaAnne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

No please don't be depressed. It's positive, it doesn't matter how slow, you are going in the right direction and that's all that matters.

I find it easier if I don't look too far forward, just concentrate on how well you're doing now. :)

lakes6809

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed Type 2 in March 2014. Weight then 114.5 kg and Hba1c initial reading 52.
End of July 2014 and now Weight is 95.5 kg and Hba1c 37 (5.5%).

That's about 19 kg (41 lbs) and a drop in Hba1c of 15. Average drop of about 1kg per week.

Basically no red meat (just chicken/turkey/Quorn), some mushrooms, some veg (must eat more), water/skimmed milk/diet soda, fruit (apples/bananas/strawberries), tuna/salmon, cucumber, tomatoes, a few cheddar biscuits, cheese and brown bread (normal or those "Thins").

I think this probably counts as a low/lowish carbohydrate with medium/lowish fat and low sugar/salt diet. I think!...It is sometimes difficult to work out. Particularly when the "experts" keep changing their minds about what actually is low carbohydrates or even what a healthy diet is. Particularly the NHS which seems to have a completely different diet plan to some of those practiced by members of this forum.

Hopefully I can lose more weigth and lower my Hba1c a few more points as I really really like my toes. I would prefer that they remain ten in number and still attached to me.

Birdy

56 pounds / 4 stone since diagnosis in March 2014. Lightest I've been for 15++ years.

Completely changed my whole lifestyle; food, activity and attitude.

Never thought I'd be grateful for Diabetes diagnosis.

Bloods looking better. Keeping fighting the good fight.

lakes6809

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
56 lbs is pretty good going. Even if the rate of weight loss slows down and you manage to just gradually shrink more each year. If you can keep if off then that would hopefully avoid a lot of problems in the future.

I'm personally aiming for eventually hovering about 81 kg and keeping my blood levels at 5% or just under.

As a side note...
Whilst I was eating my mid day snack of an apple the other day. My polish work colleague was consuming a couple of snickers bars and working his way through a pack of chocolate cakes. All I could think of at the time was perhaps it's the vodka and polish beer? Perhaps someday a (very drunk) researcher at the NHS will discover that vodka/polish beer can not only clean windows and remove rust but could also be the key to defeat diabetes?

Or maybe he's just hasn't the diabetes gene and he can eat an entire pack of snickers and chocolate cakes and high caffeine soda and two coffees in an afternoon and not be affected by anything. It's not a fair world...

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
56 lbs is pretty good going. Even if the rate of weight loss slows down and you manage to just gradually shrink more each year. If you can keep if off then that would hopefully avoid a lot of problems in the future.

I'm personally aiming for eventually hovering about 81 kg and keeping my blood levels at 5% or just under.

As a side note...
Whilst I was eating my mid day snack of an apple the other day. My polish work colleague was consuming a couple of snickers bars and working his way through a pack of chocolate cakes. All I could think of at the time was perhaps it's the vodka and polish beer? Perhaps someday a (very drunk) researcher at the NHS will discover that vodka/polish beer can not only clean windows and remove rust but could also be the key to defeat diabetes?

Or maybe he's just hasn't the diabetes gene and he can eat an entire pack of snickers and chocolate cakes and high caffeine soda and two coffees in an afternoon and not be affected by anything. It's not a fair world...
But how old is he?