How often do u change the lancets

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a rule, I change my lancet following my annual review, so once in 12 months (it's a good thing I don't blush). I can’t say a change of lancet has ever made a difference to my BG readings.

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it used to be ‘when they bend’. People don’t realise how lucky they are in this day and age. We also never had Facebook groups like U.K. freestyle Libre where people moan and moan about their cgm problems.
They were also massive and rather exposed to the elements if you left them in the finger-trap device so I actually used to change them every time back in those dim and distant days. Not a big problem as it was so painful that I certainly didn't do all that many so didn't need to carry many around, and relied on urine dip sticks most of the time (I was always low anyway).

It was only when the pen-like finger-jabbers came on the market that I moved to the standard once a year (or thereabouts ;)) timing :)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
For me it used to be ‘when they bend’. People don’t realise how lucky they are in this day and age. We also never had Facebook groups like U.K. freestyle Libre where people moan and moan about their cgm problems.
Aye I remember those days , mind you I have to say I welcome the technology that has developed with regards diabetes. I dont do FB not really interested in what people had to eat , plus I believe you shouldn’t write what your not willing to say to someone face to face

Reactions: LakeWoman and Paul_

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I find sometimes changing lancets daily makes my levels lower on my meter. Today come back from work I used the same one as yesterday reading was 7.8 changed the lancet 6.2. Do people change this daily?
I use a fresh one every time I test ..though maybe I don't need to . I use a contour nxt testing kit so maybe some testing kits are more advanced .

Reactions: LivingLightly

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a contour nxt testing kit so maybe some testing kits are more advanced .
The lancet devices are the same for most testing kits. And if you find a good lancet device, it is worth keeping even when you change tester. All they do is make a small hole in your finger - the test strips don't care how the hole was made. When I lost my lancet device on a hilltop, I just used a syringe to make the hole.

• Informative
Reactions: hankjam and mojo37

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm newly diagnosed (5 weeks ago). Testing quite a lot over this period to test reaction to different foods/meals, between 5 and 7 times a day. Also building data to support my decision to manage by diet alone and not take metformin, which so far my readings support.

Changed them every time I tested for the first couple of weeks, as per instructions, then engaged my brain. Now change once a day. My lances cost £10 for 200, so 20 quid for a year's worth of lances for testing seems reasonable to me.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm newly diagnosed (5 weeks ago). Testing quite a lot over this period to test reaction to different foods/meals, between 5 and 7 times a day. Also building data to support my decision to manage by diet alone and not take metformin, which so far my readings support.

Changed them every time I tested for the first couple of weeks, as per instructions, then engaged my brain. Now change once a day. My lances cost £10 for 200, so 20 quid for a year's worth of lances for testing seems reasonable to me.
Same re lancets roughly 12 quid on amazon for 200 and I buy strips on ebay .

Reactions: Paul_

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in California. Lancets are cheap and insurance pays. I change almost every time I use it.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Like many I only change lancets when it hurts. But since using CGM, I'm rarely finger pricking so some times also changing lancet if I feel it's been the same one for 2-3 months. In the 15 years since diagnosis I've only had one fingerprick go mildly infected.

• Informative
Reactions: hankjam

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had an (unrelated) GP appointment today with a GP I hadn't met before. During the appointment my high alarm went off, and while seaching for my phone to turn it off I stumbled on my insulin as well, so I thought to deal with it right away and injected through my shirt while still talking about my sore arm. :hilarious:
Her raised eyebrow reminded me of this thread so I told her about my lancet changing habits as well, and about the differences between theory and daily life.
It turned into a fun and unplanned conversation about diabetes, and I'm sure she learnt some new things today. :joyful:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The nights are drawing in, the weather is turning colder, and it will soon be Xmas.
Think that is when I change my lancet, usually.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Rarely if ever… :hilarious: I don’t test that often these days anyway, the last time I ordered some lancets was February 2022 and I’ve probably only used 1 maybe 2 since getting those. I know they say you should change it every time but I can’t be bothered with that, I’m the only one using it anyway and as long as it still draws blood I’m not bothered how long it’s been there. Never had any issues and I’ve done it this way for years.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed 13 or 14 years ago, can’t remember now, was given a fastclick pen with 3 packs of drums when in hospital and I’m halfway through the last box, I only change when it hurts or I’m testing someone else because they think it’s fun etc

I did change every time in the beginning, at the moment can’t remember when I last changed it

Grandadfatboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogant, abusive, greedy people
I can’t say a change of lancet ever made a difference to my readings. The official recommendation is of course to use a new lancer for every reading, but I suspect very few people do it that often!
I do, but then that's how I was told to do it. I don't know any different. :)

Reactions: Omar51

finzi1966

If I start to notice that it’s hurting or (obviously) if I lend the pen to someone else.

For my Victoza (daily injection) I change the needle about one a week, because I notice if I leave the same needle on too long I seem to bruise a lot

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For my Victoza (daily injection) I change the needle about one a week
Oh no! If I use the same needle two days running it hurts and bruises, have to change them daily.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I've still got the same box of lancets I was prescribed about 4 yrs ago and it's still half full so I would say not very often !

Reactions: Gargoyletaz