How often does are your diabetic reviews and Hb test?

denisekaren19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We have moved to a new health centre and whereas my husband’s previous reviews were at least 6 monthly, at our new surgery they are yearly. I wonder how often other members have reviews? Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It all depends on the surgery protocol, and how stable your husband is as regards blood sugars and medication. If his medication is stable, and his blood sugars are also stable and acceptable, then annually is the most likely outcome. I should be annual, but my nurse is very kind and orders me an interim blood test without the need to see her (unless of course something is thrown up in the tests). You can also ask for an interim blood test if this concerns you.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the Forum, @denisekaren19!

I've been written off! ;) I had the second three-monthly test and was then told 'no further action required' but hbA1c was pre-diabetic, not non; no review with GP (surgery doesn't have a DN) and still no retinopathy or feet appointments. I am going to ask for the next three-monthly - I would ask your surgery for the six-monthly, or even to ask for one now as you have just joined (I know records are supposed to pass smoothly between surgeries but it might be good to have a test done by your new GPs). There is a lot of disparity between surgeries on frequency of testing.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed last May, my first two reviews were at two month intervals, the next one was three months. My forthcoming one is about three months too. However I have had other medical stuff going on just recently, a chest infection, an operation and a steroid jab. I’m happy with this frequency but suspect it’ll be a longer gap next time.

denisekaren19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the Forum, @denisekaren19!

I've been written off! ;) I had the second three-monthly review and was then told 'no further action required' but hbA1c was pre-diabetic, not non, and still no retinopathy or feet appointments. I am going to ask for the next three-monthly - I would ask your surgery for the six-monthly, or even to ask for one now as you have just joined (I know records are supposed to pass smoothly between surgeries but it might be good to have a test done by your new GPs). There is a lot of disparity between surgeries on frequency of testing.

Hi Sue

Brian had one review with this new practice in April 2017 and then when he went for another Hb test 6 months later they sent him away saying he wouldn’t have a review yet as their testing was yearly. So need to wait until April 2018!!!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Past 27 yrs have always had reviews on a 6 monthly basis. BUT in recent years I've received appointment cancellations and rebooked for a month or so later. The longest I've gone between reviews is maybe 8 months max.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on 6 monthly full reviews - HBa1C plus cholesterol etc plus a meeting with DSN to check my weight, feet etc. But because my medication was reduced and has now been stopped I'm having interim HbA1c tests at 3 month intervals.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine is half yearly at endo clinic with results of tests few days before the date of appointment.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 2 21 years ago.
I manage to keep my hba1c in the non- diabetic / pre- diabetic range on a stable dose of medication and now only an have annual review in the endocrinology clinic.

Last edited: