How to handle a cheat meal (acute hyperglycemia)

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, Im just wondering what works for you if you decide to eat a carb heavy meal without an exaggerated glucose spike? I am mostly interested to understand if a one-time Metformin will help? or a one-time Acarbose dose? Without building these medications level in the blood (one-off?). There is a lot of talk about using apple cider vinegar plus the order of meal that can help reduce spike and it really helps (vegetables first, then protein, then carbs). However, I am interested any safe drug that can be used for just one time partying on carbs? Can metformin be used as one-off without maintaining blood concentration?

I am not insulin resistant so Metformin doesn't really help me and i am pretty good diet controlled, but need a hack for some on and off indulgence.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
a one-time Metformin will help?

Metformin prevents the liver from releasing stored glucose, it does very little to reduce the glucose already in your blood. And as you have eaten an indulgent high carb meal it's extremely unlikely that your liver will be releasing any glucose.
Had to look up Acarbose, I'd never come across it before, it seems to work by preventing the breakdown of carbs into sugar. That could possibly work?

Can metformin be used as one-off without maintaining blood concentration?

I wouldn't think so

I am not insulin resistant

Type 2 is insulin resistance?
If you're not resistant to your insulin and your glucose levels are high then you probably have some other form of diabetes

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin prevents the liver from releasing stored glucose, it does very little to reduce the glucose already in your blood. And as you have eaten an indulgent high carb meal it's extremely unlikely that your liver will be releasing any glucose.
Had to look up Acarbose, I'd never come across it before, it seems to work by preventing the breakdown of carbs into sugar. That could possibly work?

I wouldn't think so

Type 2 is insulin resistance?
If you're not resistant to your insulin and your glucose levels are high then you probably have some other form of diabetes
Thanks. Insulin resistance is the main cause of T2 or where it starts from, but that is not the only cause. It could be beta cell damage, less insulin production and insulin production signaling (DPP & incretin signaling). I did HOMA-IR and im optimal range with fasting insulin at 3.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks. Insulin resistance is the main cause of T2 or where it starts from, but that is not the only cause. It could be beta cell damage, less insulin production and insulin production signaling (DPP & incretin signaling). I did HOMA-IR and im optimal range with fasting insulin at 3.

Surely that isn't T2 though, more like T1 or T3c???

(No medical knowledge on this, so freely admit I may be misunderstanding) I naively thought insulin resitance = T2

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frankly, I think the way to handle carb-heavy meals if you are living a low carb lifestyle is just to limit the frequency of them. The odd high numbers aren't going to materially hurt.

Reading the side effects of acarbose, it seems c78% of users experience flatulence, with a smaller number experiencing an enhanced relationship with the toilet. Bearing in mind your system will not be used to high carb, you might experience those things anyway, just from the impacts of the carbs, if you have enough. It's your body and your choice.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there's a big difference between seeing low numbers after a carb heavy meal and your body actually dealing with the carbs. My experience is that a few glasses of red wine with a carby meal will delay, reduce but substantially prolong the expected rise in my BG.

It's almost useless me testing after such a meal, as I can come out at the two hour mark with a lower BG than before eating. No spike but I'm still seeing elevated levels the following day. Confirmed via fingerprick and Libre. I have no idea if this is a generalizable experience - a few people have reported similar.

I am definitely not suggesting this as a means of BG control. The alcohol is messing up the BG readings: the carbs are going in to your system and are, or are not, being processed etc. - just more slowly.

Mr Doggy

Hey, good question. I'm seeing my Dr tomorrow to talk about food types, insulin resistance, metabolism and having the same meal 2 times a day (same measurement) needs different levels of insulin injections. (I posted the recipe today in soups btw).

What I would say is different carbs have different absorption rates and you have to experiment to know let's say rice, pasta, potato, dough (suet) react with you and at what time of the day your body seems to work better. If you inject before a high carb meal and absorption is slow, you'll get a hypo. This is when a pump comes in handy and you can control the amount of insulin per hour that's released. The only thing I can say is eat measured amounts midday and evening and see how the body acts. This gives you an idea WHEN to inject and HOW much more or less.

Typically I find eating out and curries and Chinese cuisine are very hard to judge as there's sweet sugar vinegar that hits you later with the spike. Typically now I eat 1/2 the plate at any restaurant with these food types and rest is for the doggy bag.

Playing safe, I gauge 2/3 of the insulin injection midway through the meal eating OUT and then I use my arm sensor to see what's happening. I then inject the rest after the meal. This stops most hypos with complex sugars coated with fat (ghee) or zero carbs (Chinese sweet Sause on tofu). You might go home and go to sleep and have a hypo then and next day raised BS by hypo or very dense sugar.

An arm sensor will show you what happened and when so you know how to do it better next time. Pizzas again I eat 1/2 a 33 CM one and I ask how they make their tomato sauce. Lazy chefs use sugar instead of using concentrated paste or sundried tomatoes or sweeting caramelisation without sugar).

So if its carb heavy you have to think about food type. Is it covered in fat and if you've eaten it before in a certain quantity what happened. For example, you can have fat dosed samosas and bhajis but pastry gets through quicker than deep fat on the bhaji. Also the amount of pastry. Thick samosas kick with the longer term pastry and mid term potato. However if it's in a spring roll or filo pastry, it's like calculating the same as normal potato.

I also find it helps to touch the thing to see how much grease it has (some which have rested for a LONG time in fat will lower reaction time and you'll get a hypo if you inject too early). I typically find the surprise is in the salsas - from Mexican to Asian there's sugar or cane sugar compound that gives you the spike. So, if you're gonna reduce the spike or hypo, I say stick with vegan dairy.

Using red, not white wine will reduce blood sugar as a cheat and its quite fast reacting but you need to control it as it'll eventually give you a hypo!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: finsit

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was talk a few years ago about an oral insulin tablet that reaches your gut before breaking down. Might be a bad thing as you'd have T2s cheating the whole time masking it with their magic pills. Or knocking back 2 for a buffet & going hypo.

Anyway, I digress, alcohol is your only man [not a recommendation, might only work for me]