Hunger Pangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_whistler

The book I mentioned gives advice on how to deal with anxiety. Partly it is simply letting the feelings happen and not fighting them or giving them an attention. Just as we do when we think we need to loo, but know we have to wait for an appropriate time. Its only hunger, you wont cause yourself any harm by feeling it. Mankind is built to deal with, and survive, hunger pangs, for a long time - weeks, months even. You will be OK experiencing them for a few hours until breakfast time.
I will check it out

jd58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low fat and carbs
Eat more protein and saturated fat until no longer hungry and you will stay like that for hours / over night . I only eat in the evening and take a bulletproof coffee first thing in morning and at midday. It the carbs that make you h8ngry so cut down to less than 25g per day or to zero carbs and just eat meat/fish with butter and coconut oil.....

S

serenity648

Eat more protein and saturated fat until no longer hungry and you will stay like that for hours / over night . I only eat in the evening and take a bulletproof coffee first thing in morning and at midday. It the carbs that make you h8ngry so cut down to less than 25g per day or to zero carbs and just eat meat/fish with butter and coconut oil.....
Unfortunately that doesnt work for everyone.

ghost_whistler

Forgot to ask my GP about blood type.

My blood test results were a bit weird. Mostly ok, except apparently i'm a little deficient in iron despite eating a lot more meat. Also there were apparently some weird markers to do with asthma which i've never and don't have.

My cholesterol is up, although this wasn't the fasting cholesterol test. She didn't seem concerned but i think the figure she quoted was 7.5? Not entirely sure that's a desirable goal.

I have Gilberts Syndrome which means nothing to me. Apparently it's to do with jaundice in the blood from drinking way too much orange juice as a kid. It's never been a problem buyt my bilirubin, the associated chemical, was quite high too.

My kidneys are fine, as are my electrolytes. I did weigh myself on the scales which came to an increase of a couple iof hundred grams from Monday which is a bit annoying. I can't imagine, assuming that's a correct result, why that is unless, thanks to advice from other sites, I'm eating too much fat. Getting the balance right seems to be herculean.

Unfortunately she has no answer as to the hunger thing and just said that 'logically' it's the body adapting. I hope so. I've decided to give this until the end of the month. That would be two months on this diet. At that point I will treat it like Atkins and move toward a paleo variant or just increase carbs gently while remaining off grain and sugar etc. The internet community for this diet is too contradictory. Some say eat insane amounts of fat (someone yesterday demanded i eat 186g of fat a day), others like Dr Berg on Youtube (assuming he knows what he's talking about of course) say you should eat no more than about 60% as fat.

jd58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low fat and carbs
Unfortunately that doesnt work for everyone.
It works for thousands - its ketosis condition weight falls off as your burning body fat for energy and blood sugar returns to normal as your not eating carbs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

My blood test results were a bit weird. Mostly ok, except apparently i'm a little deficient in iron despite eating a lot more meat. Also there were apparently some weird markers to do with asthma which i've never and don't have.

My cholesterol is up, although this wasn't the fasting cholesterol test. She didn't seem concerned but i think the figure she quoted was 7.5? Not entirely sure that's a desirable goal.

I have Gilberts Syndrome which means nothing to me. Apparently it's to do with jaundice in the blood from drinking way too much orange juice as a kid. It's never been a problem buyt my bilirubin, the associated chemical, was quite high too.

My kidneys are fine, as are my electrolytes. I did weigh myself on the scales which came to an increase of a couple iof hundred grams from Monday which is a bit annoying. I can't imagine, assuming that's a correct result, why that is unless, thanks to advice from other sites, I'm eating too much fat. Getting the balance right seems to be herculean.

Unfortunately she has no answer as to the hunger thing and just said that 'logically' it's the body adapting. I hope so. I've decided to give this until the end of the month. That would be two months on this diet. At that point I will treat it like Atkins and move toward a paleo variant or just increase carbs gently while remaining off grain and sugar etc. The internet community for this diet is too contradictory. Some say eat insane amounts of fat (someone yesterday demanded i eat 186g of fat a day), others like Dr Berg on Youtube (assuming he knows what he's talking about of course) say you should eat no more than about 60% as fat.
Well doesn't sound like anything overly serious. Iron can be corrected with some slow ease tablets but can be constipating. Cholesterol depends more on ratios than total. If your HDL is high and trigs low you probably have the big fluffy heart protective particals. Mine is usually on the high side but my HDL is very high and my ratios are all ideal. Eating avocado rather than lots of saturated fat raised my HDL a great deal

The reason I ask about your blood type is there is a book called the Blood Type Diet that I found very useful when I was ravenous and bloated all the time. I loosely still follow it but more because it's the was I gravitate anyway. It immediately helped me just switching some foods around and eliminating all grains and dairy. The premise is BT O ( me) are meat eaters and do better in a state of ketosis. True for me. BT A are more vegetarian and do better with less animal protein, especially red meat, and better with fish, eggs, light poultry, as well as nuts and seeds, legumes and other plant proteins. Also lower far, especially saturated. My mom is an A and when she eats red meat, which she loves, she has her face in her plate asleep in no time. You can google the blood type diet and it will tell you the main points for each blood type. It's relatively easy to figure out which you are.
That being said. Obviously your body is stressing. It's much easier to go keto as an O but vlc paleo is very doable for an A. Maybe try lighter, less heavy / fattey such as fish or white chicken, eggs. Use avocado and olive oil as well as nuts and seeds for your main fats and eat more vlc veggies. Try a stir fry with just a bit of oil and some avocado, chicken and various veggies. Try a veggies omelet for bf in just a LITTLE butter. Not everyone can eat and / or feel well on a fat heavy diet. Especially saturated and butter.
My mom eats pretty much the same everyday. Yogurt with flax seeds and a few blueberries for bf. Lunch is a slice of deli turkey or chicken, a handful of walnuts and a few strawberries. Dinner is a small salad, some sited veggies and a protein like fish or chicken. She does snack on crackers Andy Hershey's chocolate. She has an enormous sweet toothe but again falls asleep shortly after. Obviously you don't want to eat her snacks but maybe try lighter proteins, less animal fat and less fat in general. Nuts and avocado have loads of fat. Use some mayo on chicken or egg salad. I know how annoying trying to find the right diet is. It can take a few days to adjust too. So don't go by just one meal. Give it a few days. And allow yourself more nuts or avocado if you're hungry. She could never eat like me. I could never eat all her carbs. Even as an O I prefer lighter proteins and plant fats vs saturated fats. It's easier to digest and stays with me longer. Have you tried flax seeds? I can't eat them but they're very filling. Or chia? Beware. A little goes a long way.

I feel your pain, trust me. But I will say I did horrible when all I ate was protein and fat. Like you, uncontrollable hunger. I needed much less food as well. For me, over eating just makes me hungrier. No clue why but it does.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@ghost_whistler - It's good you have seen your Doctor. It's also good that she doesn't seem to have found you to be unwell in any way, unless I misinterpreted something.

I'm not going to make any further suggestions to you, because you have had many, many useful posts to consider. What I would suggest though is that you take on board what your Doctor has suggested, in that your body is adapting to your new way of eating. If that means you elect to stick with it, then do just that. Don't keep changing and tweaking things. Allow your body to have a period of time to get used to whatever approach you decide upon.

For clarity; I'm not suggesting you have exactly the same meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day, but that you decide where your nutritional metrics will be ans stick with it. No reducing or increasing things during your true trial period.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Also to add the keto and paleo people down coconut oil by the tablespoons. I cannot. Nothing wrong with that. Makes me nauseous so I won't do it.

People eat loads of dairy as fat sources. Only makes me fat. I won't do it.

People eat fistfuls of nuts for fat. Makes me fat. I won't do it.

We all need our own variations. I thankfully do well in deep ketosis but many don't.

A think a whole food ( nothing processed ) paleo type diet is great. No grains, dairy, processed foods, legumes, nightshade veggies, sugar, fruit juice etc. Small amounts of fruit is allowed ( just choose berries) sweet potato and other root veggies ( sends my bs sky high) It is a form of an elimination diet and most people feel much better.

Nothing says you have to eat red meat or put butter on anything. Nothing says you can't.

I don't think you meantioned what your diet was like before all this started. I remember chicken for dinner but that's about all hahaha. Maybe there's a way to tweak your old way of eating and just remove the carbs and replace them with nuts or avocado? What were you eating for breakfast?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gilbert's Syndrome is a genetic condition so I can't see why orange juice would be involved. It's not uncommon. A school friend had it and it was identified because she became jaundiced:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Gilbertssyndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx

You've got your test results back and no serious problems have been found. Other than asking if the Gilbert's Syndrome could be adding to,your symptoms, then you should be reassured and move forward.

S

serenity648

It works for thousands - its ketosis condition weight falls off as your burning body fat for energy and blood sugar returns to normal as your not eating carbs
I am not saying it doesnt work, I am saying it doesnt work for everyone. The way you have worded your original post makes it seem like it will work for everyone.

S

serenity648

a couple of hundred gram fluctuation in daily weight is nothing. It happens to all of us as we take in and lose fluids, food etc.

ghost_whistler

Well doesn't sound like anything overly serious. Iron can be corrected with some slow ease tablets but can be constipating. Cholesterol depends more on ratios than total. If your HDL is high and trigs low you probably have the big fluffy heart protective particals. Mine is usually on the high side but my HDL is very high and my ratios are all ideal. Eating avocado rather than lots of saturated fat raised my HDL a great deal

The reason I ask about your blood type is there is a book called the Blood Type Diet that I found very useful when I was ravenous and bloated all the time. I loosely still follow it but more because it's the was I gravitate anyway. It immediately helped me just switching some foods around and eliminating all grains and dairy. The premise is BT O ( me) are meat eaters and do better in a state of ketosis. True for me. BT A are more vegetarian and do better with less animal protein, especially red meat, and better with fish, eggs, light poultry, as well as nuts and seeds, legumes and other plant proteins. Also lower far, especially saturated. My mom is an A and when she eats red meat, which she loves, she has her face in her plate asleep in no time. You can google the blood type diet and it will tell you the main points for each blood type. It's relatively easy to figure out which you are.
That being said. Obviously your body is stressing. It's much easier to go keto as an O but vlc paleo is very doable for an A. Maybe try lighter, less heavy / fattey such as fish or white chicken, eggs. Use avocado and olive oil as well as nuts and seeds for your main fats and eat more vlc veggies. Try a stir fry with just a bit of oil and some avocado, chicken and various veggies. Try a veggies omelet for bf in just a LITTLE butter. Not everyone can eat and / or feel well on a fat heavy diet. Especially saturated and butter.
My mom eats pretty much the same everyday. Yogurt with flax seeds and a few blueberries for bf. Lunch is a slice of deli turkey or chicken, a handful of walnuts and a few strawberries. Dinner is a small salad, some sited veggies and a protein like fish or chicken. She does snack on crackers Andy Hershey's chocolate. She has an enormous sweet toothe but again falls asleep shortly after. Obviously you don't want to eat her snacks but maybe try lighter proteins, less animal fat and less fat in general. Nuts and avocado have loads of fat. Use some mayo on chicken or egg salad. I know how annoying trying to find the right diet is. It can take a few days to adjust too. So don't go by just one meal. Give it a few days. And allow yourself more nuts or avocado if you're hungry. She could never eat like me. I could never eat all her carbs. Even as an O I prefer lighter proteins and plant fats vs saturated fats. It's easier to digest and stays with me longer. Have you tried flax seeds? I can't eat them but they're very filling. Or chia? Beware. A little goes a long way.

I feel your pain, trust me. But I will say I did horrible when all I ate was protein and fat. Like you, uncontrollable hunger. I needed much less food as well. For me, over eating just makes me hungrier. No clue why but it does.

I have flax and chia, but fortunately i've been pretty regular recently so perhaps that part of me has adapted!

The only other concern I have about keto eating is getting enough vitamins and minerals from a small array and instake (20g) of veg. Although I eat slightly more veg than I did previously, the choice of what you can have is of course limited - carrots are considered too high but are very good for vitamin A. I would like to know if I'm getting enough.

ghost_whistler

@ghost_whistler - It's good you have seen your Doctor. It's also good that she doesn't seem to have found you to be unwell in any way, unless I misinterpreted something.

I'm not going to make any further suggestions to you, because you have had many, many useful posts to consider. What I would suggest though is that you take on board what your Doctor has suggested, in that your body is adapting to your new way of eating. If that means you elect to stick with it, then do just that. Don't keep changing and tweaking things. Allow your body to have a period of time to get used to whatever approach you decide upon.

For clarity; I'm not suggesting you have exactly the same meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day, but that you decide where your nutritional metrics will be ans stick with it. No reducing or increasing things during your true trial period.
there doesn't seem to be any major problems, other than to make sure Cholesterol doesn't keep spiking. I've no idea if the number she said was problematic, but given she didn't say so I guess not.

I do think that my fat intake needs to be high. I was out this afternoon with a packed lunch and making sure a packed lunch has enough fat is not easy. It's easier when you're frying meat at home for dinner. Notsomuch when youre preparing a meal to eat out.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
why on earth are you only eating 20g of veg?

from this list:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-few-asking-for-low-carb-food-lists.96321/
These are all low carb veg which you can eat decent portions of, daily, and stay in ketosis.
I do.

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Alfalfa sprouts (great on salads)
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bell Peppers (green, red, yellow, orange)
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage (Any)
Cauliflower (Great as rice or mashed potato substitute.)
Celery
Celeriac
Chickpeas
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flax seed (add to salads & things)
Flower sprouts
Garlic
Green Onions
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lentils
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Tomatoes/paste & Sun dried
Zucchini
Note; frozen is most the time better than fresh.
Fruit (most is ok, but best in small portions.)
with root veg those with an orange tinge to them eg carrots, sweet potato, swede are better that the white veg, but still have to watch portion size.

ghost_whistler

a couple of hundred gram fluctuation in daily weight is nothing. It happens to all of us as we take in and lose fluids, food etc.
I double checked in the chemists and it's 82.450kg, so a slight decrease of 200g. I think the surgery scales must have been off. So fortunately weight loss, if small compared to some people on keto, is consistent.

Hopefully the fat adaptation will kick in soon and then my body will make use of stored fat. I thinl that's how it's meant to work.

S

serenity648

I double checked in the chemists and it's 82.450kg, so a slight decrease of 200g. I think the surgery scales must have been off. So fortunately weight loss, if small compared to some people on keto, is consistent.

Hopefully the fat adaptation will kick in soon and then my body will make use of stored fat. I thinl that's how it's meant to work.
What? 200g? you know that every meal, every drink, every toilet visit affect our weight up and down.

I think maybe, if 200g is important to you, you need to get some counselling. I am not being nasty, or snarky, I genuinely think you need a bit of professional input into your relationship with food and weight. I dont know how tall you are but i suspect you are not overweight.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What? 200g? you know that every meal, every drink, every toilet visit affect our weight up and down.

I think maybe, if 200g is important to you, you need to get some counselling. I am not being nasty, or snarky, I genuinely think you need a bit of professional input into your relationship with food and weight. I dont know how tall you are but i suspect you are not overweight.
Agreed, 200g is a large glass of water!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Nope - I'm in ketosis and weight definitely isn't falling off. Blood sugar is okay though.

Reactions: zand

ghost_whistler

I didn't say it was important, i just pointed out that my weight had decreased not increased.

I'm 5'7" so yes, I am overweight.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This thread has gone over and over the same ground multiple times. The OP has been provided with a number of suggestions, verified and added to many times.

@ghost_whistler You can use the blog function on this forum if you wish to continue charting your weight loss :)

Thread now locked.

Reactions: zand
Status
Not open for further replies.