Hunger Pangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_whistler

Purely in the interest of science, have you considered having something small, as in like a tapas selection to nibble on every half hour or every hour during the day and see if that stops the hunger pangs.

You might realistically never be "absolutely full", but not empty either.
The idea is to feel 'satiated', but I think it's all a bit semantic. You feel full when you've eaten sufficiently to do so. The problem is that doesn't seem to last long, even with a lot of fat. How much fat is required to sufficiently satiate for longer? Dunno.

I'm not sure what I would use to snack on other than cheese and nuts, which is what i do currently. What would you recommend.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It is absolutely normal to feel hungry sometimes and its nothing to be worried about. Being hungry for a few hours won't kill you. (Unless you are on some kind of meds which requires that you eat.)

The general idea is to eat enough at meals so you are satisfied but not full up -you shouldn't expect to feel full up all the time between meals. The need to feel full up all the time is generally emotional / psychological rather than physical and is something you need to remember when you feel the need to be full up.

You have mentioned before that your hunger comes to you in the form of cravings. I get cravings when I'm fasting but it comes in waves - it isn't there all the time. Next time you have a craving try drinking a big glass of water and waiting half an hour before giving in to it to see if it's real hunger or just a craving.

ghost_whistler

It is absolutely normal to feel hungry sometimes and its nothing to be worried about. Being hungry for a few hours won't kill you. (Unless you are on some kind of meds which requires that you eat.)

The general idea is to eat enough at meals so you are satisfied but not full up -you shouldn't expect to feel full up all the time between meals. The need to feel full up all the time is generally emotional / psychological rather than physical and is something you need to remember when you feel the need to be full up.

You have mentioned before that your hunger comes to you in the form of cravings. I get cravings when I'm fasting but it comes in waves - it isn't there all the time. Next time you have a craving try drinking a big glass of water and waiting half an hour before giving in to it to see if it's real hunger or just a craving.
I've done that, the hunger returns. I may call it a craving and you may infer something slightly different from that. I'm talking about real visceral hunger, like a hole in your stomach almost like you've been winded. Having this happen at 1am is something that has to be addressed.
People get hungry, that's natural. But this is something else.

It's not a need to feel full up, it's about being healthy. You are not meant to feel hungry all the time. That's called starvation. WHen you say you shoulnd't expet to feel full up, you don't mean feeling hunger to the point of distraction. I think we risk splitting hairs here over a question of degree. Obviously you aren't going to feel 24/7 as if you've just had a nice christmas dinner.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And how do you think other people feel hungry?? What you've described - the gnawing feeling - is what I feel and, no doubt, most other people too. I feel hungry several times a day. I've just eaten a snack with a cup of tea and I could still polish off more food. Some people do feel hungry - hungrier than others. That doesn't mean they're ill.

Are you on any medication which could be making you extra hungry?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is NO time in any day that I couldn't eat. But I don't.

The gnawing feeling you describe I get sometimes. It makes me think I'm hungry but I've just eaten a few hours ago. For me I think it's more of an acid alkaline thing. I get it almost everyday around 4 or 5. A few nuts help. Sometimes a little mustard. Not a meal or large snack. Just something small. A little lettuce with mayo often, or a few celery chunks.

It could just be slow digestion too. I feel waves of nausea a few times a day, everyday but it passes. Sometimes it's an overdose of coffee. Haha. I just ride out the storm and it goes away. If I didn't ride it out I would continuously be eating.

ghost_whistler

And how do you think other people feel hungry?? What you've described - the gnawing feeling - is what I feel and, no doubt, most other people too. I feel hungry several times a day. I've just eaten a snack with a cup of tea and I could still polish off more food. Some people do feel hungry - hungrier than others. That doesn't mean they're ill.

Are you on any medication which could be making you extra hungry?
No.

I'm talking about a particularly profound and intense hunger. I don't know what other people feel, obviously. They may also be unwell given the standard diet that people end up eating.

LCHF is characterised by inducing a greater deal of satiety after eating, that's one of its hallmarks and from what i've seen every advocate of this diet talks up that aspect. I've never heard advocates say they continually feel hungry, or wake up at 1am feeling like they've been sucker punched they are so hungry. Clearly that is not normal, and, given it has only just become an issue in the last fortnight and not on years of relatively high carb eating, the determining factor is this way of eating. What that is specifically is what I need to figure out.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Seriously - I get really hungry. Starving, like I could eat a horse. I read people saying they can skip meals or just have half a grapefruit for breakfast or a couple of sausages or whatever, and I know that that wouldn't work for me because I'd be hungry.

Keto meals don't fill me up. The people who enthuse about keto are people for whom it works. It doesn't work or suit everyone.

It's not your failing if you've followed the keto rules and it hasn't worked for you. You are an individual. If you're interested in keto then read some of the 'anti-keto' sites because keto sites are just full of people singing its praises. They're not an accurate representation of keto per se. If we made every person in the UK try it, there'd be people for whom it didn't work,,people who,were hungry, or whatever.

So I'd disagree with you. Feeling extremely hungry IS normal for some people on Keto.

You don't need to figure out why - who cares? You either put up with the hunger or simply change your diet.

Right back at the beginning of our conversation I said something similar - see what works for you. Experiment with different meals. That's why I've said we seem to be going round in circles.

Take a meal eg breakfast, eat a different breakfast over a period of a week or two and see which one makes you feel best. Then move on to the other meals. That way you'll improve your symptoms even if they don't disappear entirely.

It really is that simple. Don't worry about what other people eat - find what works best for you.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The idea is to feel 'satiated', but I think it's all a bit semantic. You feel full when you've eaten sufficiently to do so. The problem is that doesn't seem to last long, even with a lot of fat. How much fat is required to sufficiently satiate for longer? Dunno.

I'm not sure what I would use to snack on other than cheese and nuts, which is what i do currently. What would you recommend.

OK. I would plan an experiment for a couple of days to start with, then I'd plan a load of things I like to eat (I'm not suggesting you would like what I would like), but for me it would be cheese, in small cubes, olives, mini sausages, mini meatballs, cherry tomatoes, small cubes of roast meat or chicken, maybe some baby mushrooms in garlic cream sauce, creamed spinach; that sort of thing.

I'd then allow myself to nibble small tapas amounts regularly during the day.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just curious...have you ever tried more vegetarian type meals? Filling up on veggies rather than loads of protein and fat? I would think it would be hard to do keto per se but how about just just filling up on low carb veggies with some protein and lesser fat. Maybe the fat is bogging down your digestion making you ' notice ' your stomach all the time. Maybe you'd be better off low carb than keto.

Just a thought. Sometimes all I want is veggies. Like a big ole salad.

ghost_whistler

There is NO time in any day that I couldn't eat. But I don't.

The gnawing feeling you describe I get sometimes. It makes me think I'm hungry but I've just eaten a few hours ago. For me I think it's more of an acid alkaline thing. I get it almost everyday around 4 or 5. A few nuts help. Sometimes a little mustard. Not a meal or large snack. Just something small. A little lettuce with mayo often, or a few celery chunks.

It could just be slow digestion too. I feel waves of nausea a few times a day, everyday but it passes. Sometimes it's an overdose of coffee. Haha. I just ride out the storm and it goes away. If I didn't ride it out I would continuously be eating.
It could be anything, that's the problem!

The question is why is this happening now? I used to eat carbs carbs carbs, like many of us I'm sure. Didn't have this issue then, so logically it has to do with what I'm eating (or not).

ghost_whistler

Just curious...have you ever tried more vegetarian type meals? Filling up on veggies rather than loads of protein and fat? I would think it would be hard to do keto per se but how about just just filling up on low carb veggies with some protein and lesser fat. Maybe the fat is bogging down your digestion making you ' notice ' your stomach all the time. Maybe you'd be better off low carb than keto.

Just a thought. Sometimes all I want is veggies. Like a big ole salad.
No I haven't.

I need my meals to be filling. I dn't think you'd get that on 20g carbs, or from veg alone. NOt in my experience. That's just how my metabolism is. Perhaps that's the problem

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think you're right, I think that's how your metabolism is and maybe you ought to experiment with adding carbs or whatever you think is lacking.

I've said it before, have you researched the Paleo way of eating? There are many people thriving on it including my husband.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat low carb paleo. It's awesome. My hubby is pretty paleo as well but eats more carbs than me. Big salads with tuna or salmon and mayo for dinner. Hard boiled egg and apple through the morning. Lunch isn't usually turkey chicken or beef and some raw broccoli. Most of his carbs are in his stout BEERlol. He does put a thwap of hummus on his salad at dinner ( not paleo )

GW, do you know if your blood type is A? If it is I'll explain.

ghost_whistler

I think you're right, I think that's how your metabolism is and maybe you ought to experiment with adding carbs or whatever you think is lacking.

I've said it before, have you researched the Paleo way of eating? There are many people thriving on it including my husband.
I've looked at it, but not enough. It seems quite similar in many ways, but less strict on carbs and a focus on 'real' food.

ghost_whistler

I eat low carb paleo. It's awesome. My hubby is pretty paleo as well but eats more carbs than me. Big salads with tuna or salmon and mayo for dinner. Hard boiled egg and apple through the morning. Lunch isn't usually turkey chicken or beef and some raw broccoli. Most of his carbs are in his stout BEERlol. He does put a thwap of hummus on his salad at dinner ( not paleo )

GW, do you know if your blood type is A? If it is I'll explain.
I have no idea until i next speak to the GP, why?

S

serenity648

I've done that, the hunger returns. I may call it a craving and you may infer something slightly different from that. I'm talking about real visceral hunger, like a hole in your stomach almost like you've been winded. Having this happen at 1am is something that has to be addressed.
People get hungry, that's natural. But this is something else.

It's not a need to feel full up, it's about being healthy. You are not meant to feel hungry all the time. That's called starvation. When you say you shouldn't expect to feel full up, you don't mean feeling hunger to the point of distraction. I think we risk splitting hairs here over a question of degree. Obviously you aren't going to feel 24/7 as if you've just had a nice christmas dinner.

sometimes I am hungry in the night. It wakes me up, my stomach growls. But i know, from the daily intake record, that I have eaten sufficient food. So I ignore it, and let the feeling be. Pay attention to your mind, not your sensations. Your body will catch up eventually. And hunger pangs can be caused by anxiety. Have you read Self Help for your Nerves by Dr Claire Weekes? Its a great book for explaining how being tense can cause physical reactions for us.

And yes, some people have an appetite control which can get out of kilter and they feel hungry all the time. Also, our stomachs can growl and feel hollow even when we have just eaten, due to feelings of anxiety.

S

serenity648

No.

I'm talking about a particularly profound and intense hunger. I don't know what other people feel, obviously. They may also be unwell given the standard diet that people end up eating.

LCHF is characterised by inducing a greater deal of satiety after eating, that's one of its hallmarks and from what i've seen every advocate of this diet talks up that aspect. I've never heard advocates say they continually feel hungry, or wake up at 1am feeling like they've been sucker punched they are so hungry. Clearly that is not normal, and, given it has only just become an issue in the last fortnight and not on years of relatively high carb eating, the determining factor is this way of eating. What that is specifically is what I need to figure out.

In response to the bit I have bolded - I do. I get ravenous. But I have to let my mind control my appetite, because my body doesnt seem to know when enough is enough - yet.

give it time. Our bodies need time to adapt.

S

serenity648

I have tried to relax and ignore the symptoms, but they are just so intense.
The book I mentioned gives advice on how to deal with anxiety. Partly it is simply letting the feelings happen and not fighting them or giving them an attention. Just as we do when we think we need to loo, but know we have to wait for an appropriate time. Its only hunger, you wont cause yourself any harm by feeling it. Mankind is built to deal with, and survive, hunger pangs, for a long time - weeks, months even. You will be OK experiencing them for a few hours until breakfast time.

Reactions: Chook and azure

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea until i next speak to the GP, why?
Sounds silly but the blood type diet really helped me. As a blood type O I should eat more protein and fats and be keto. A blood types are more vegetarian and can be thrown off by heavy foods or too much protein and do better with light proteins like white poultry, eggs, fish and not in large quantities. More veggies and veggie proteins than animal.
It helped me emensly though I don't follow it to a tee. It can take a few days for things to 'turn around'. It sbaout IAP which I said for fat metabolism and digestion as well as the natural acids we secrete or don't secrete for protein and fat. I know I lack amylase for carbs but hav enough protease and lipase enzymes for fat and prot in metabolism.

My moms an A and I'm an O and we hav eopposite diets. There is some things that make loads of sense about blood types. She can eat things I can't and would feel awful eating my diet and vice versa. Just a thought ....

Status
Not open for further replies.