Hunger two hours after eating breakfast

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got T2D and was diagnosed a few years ago. I take a pill morning and night. Regardless of what I have for breakfast, about two hours later, with a good blood sugar level, I feel hungry. My doctor says I should tough it out, drink tea/water but not eat anything more until lunch. This is really hard. I crave a slice of toast or such like.

Have you had/do you have this problem? If so, any suggestions for solutions would be much appreciated.

Also, I don't understand why, if my blood sugar is with limits, I feel hungry, it doesn't make any sense. I'd expect to feel hungry if my blood sugar was low...

Thnx in advance.

Tim

Last edited:

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check yourself at 2.5hr & 3hr post
Sounds like you're having a BG crash due spiking from carbs then your insulin production going into overdrive

postprandial-blood-glucose-regulation.jpg

Sugar n Spice

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got T2D and was diagnosed a few years ago. I take a pill morning and night. Regardless of what I have for breakfast, about two hours later, with a good blood sugar level, I feel hungry. My doctor says I should tough it out, drink tea/water but not eat anything more until lunch. This is really hard. I crave a slice of toast or such like.

Have you had/do you have this problem? If so, any suggestions for solutions would be much appreciated.

Also, I don't understand why, if my blood sugar is with limits, I feel hungry, it doesn't make any sense. I'd expect to feel hungry if my blood sugar was low...

Thnx in advance.

Tim
Hi Tim, what do you typically eat for breakfast? I was always 'hungry' after breakfast, but I found that switching to protein in the morning makes a big difference.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow. Thanks for the information. For breakfast I have two small slices of "protein bread" sold for people who want to lose weight or with diabetes in my local supermarket (3.1% carbs), liberally covered in cold pressed extra-virgen olive oil and crushed fresh tomatoes, two slices of jamon york, and a chunk of cheddar cheese, and two cups of coffee with skimmed milk.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. Thanks for the information. For breakfast I have two small slices of "protein bread" sold for people who want to lose weight or with diabetes in my local supermarket (3.1% carbs), liberally covered in cold pressed extra-virgen olive oil and crushed fresh tomatoes, two slices of jamon york, and a chunk of cheddar cheese, and two cups of coffee with skimmed milk.

Well that's not carb heavy so I doubt that's your issue.
Where are you based, if in the UK you could get a free CGM trial through Abbott.
Will give you so much more info

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nah... I live in Spain. I have however used the Abbott Freestyle 2 sensors a quite bit (up until now I have had to pay for them, although they have just become free on the public health system here, so I will be using them all the time once my doctor gets his finger out), but they don't show anything out of the ordinary, for example, pre-breakfast (7am) 6.7/120, two hours after breakfast 6.1/110. The lower level is due to the pills I take (Ebymect 5mg dapagliflozin / 1000mg Metformin hydrochloride). This pill is big, more like a suppository than a pill, but it does the trick!

I envy you being able to get low-carb bread from your local shop

It is OK, but it is three times the price of normal "decent" bread, and after a few years I am just sick to death of it. Of all the stuff I can't eat/drink now, proper bread is what I miss most. The smell of fresh baked bread when you walk into the supermarket just kills me! BTW, if you search on Amazon (for example) they have lots of different types of protein bread, which is no more expensive than I have to pay locally. I can't put any links I am afraid, still a newbie here.

Thanks also for the warning about tomatoes, I'll try it without them...

• Agree

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If nothing else like low blood sugar, carb craving etc is jumping out at you then you just could be hungry, it is possible to be hungry because well - your hungry lol. I get hungry about an hour before my lunch simply because I’m hungry. I ride it out 99% of the time but sometimes I begin to feel sickly or fuzzy headed, then I either Have a small piece of cheese or my actual lunch.

Try having a small bit of cheese or meat, or maybe miss the cheese or ham off your breakfast and have it as a mid morning snack. I don’t encourage snacking and avoid it as much as I can but sometimes it’s needed

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nah... I live in Spain. I have however used the Abbott Freestyle 2 sensors a quite bit (up until now I have had to pay for them, although they have just become free on the public health system here, so I will be using them all the time once my doctor gets his finger out), but they don't show anything out of the ordinary, for example, pre-breakfast (7am) 6.7/120, two hours after breakfast 6.1/110. The lower level is due to the pills I take (Ebymect 5mg dapagliflozin / 1000mg Metformin hydrochloride). This pill is big, more like a suppository than a pill, but it does the trick!

It is OK, but it is three times the price of normal "decent" bread, and after a few years I am just sick to death of it. Of all the stuff I can't eat/drink now, proper bread is what I miss most. The smell of fresh baked bread when you walk into the supermarket just kills me! BTW, if you search on Amazon (for example) they have lots of different types of protein bread, which is no more expensive than I have to pay locally. I can't put any links I am afraid, still a newbie here.

Thanks also for the warning about tomatoes, I'll try it without them...
Man, I hear that about the bread...yum.

The tomatoes it seems are size and strain...cherry tomatoes kind of gives it away, I guess .

You sound very up on LC, so I'll not delve too deep, just say that while I never feel your hunger, I have taken more notice of how far some foods get me until I do feel hungry ....

Greek yoghurt is one that seems to take me the furthest .

Maybe try one with some blueberries (LC & full fat)
Might show some difference.?

Good luck sorting something out .

ThoseRainyDays

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thnx in advance.

Tim

Personally my bg is never lower that 4.8mmol and doesn't relate to whether I'm hungry or not. I'm not sure that hunger is related to bg, I think it's more about whether our stomach is empty or whether we're outside of our "usual patterns" of eating. Happy to be corrected!

Before low carb I was hungry often but I can see that you aren't eating a carb heavy diet.

Unfortunately it can just be that our bodies get used to eating at certain times of the day. If I usually have breakfast at 10am, I get hungry at 9am. If you do eat 2 hours after your breakfast and when you feel hungry, your body may have gotten used to eating at those times. I find powering through does work and after a few days, my body adjusts to new eating times or fasts etc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for the shared wisdom:

1. I love Greek yoghurt and blueberries (and walnuts) but stopped eating it to get my weight down. This was always as comfort food at night with Netflix. I’ll try again as a breakfast option.

2. Leaving the cheese and meat to later in the morning sounds good as well, it is eating the same but split over time.

3. Finally, I might try “powering through” for a week or two to see if more time is needed to retrain my old brain.

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The tomatoes it seems are size and strain...cherry tomatoes kind of gives it away, I guess .
If I instead have a normal salad tomato, then more than half spikes my levels. Having the little ones is just easier for me than having half-tomatoes lying around in the fridge. As is often mentioned, not everyone reacts the same way to every food, hence the benefit of having a meter.

• Agree
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As is often mentioned, not everyone reacts the same way to every food, hence the benefit of having a meter.

This is just so true. I have learnt not to "trust" online recommendations on eat this/that until I test them out. Things might be OK for some but not necessarily for everyone.