Hunger

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hunger is not what we think it is. Medically speaking, its characteristic symptom is contraction of the stomach muscles: "hunger pangs" that can cause considerable pain. These cramps are especially severe in children and young people but affect older people too. This is associated with malnutrition, which affects about 12 percent of the world's population. (Info is paraphrased from Wikipedia.)

So my guess is that the majority of people in Western countries and middle-income developing countries have never suffered from this kind of hunger. We may feel "hungry" but what we mean by that is that we have an appetite, are craving food, are feeling weak or irritable, .... etc. I personally cannot remember having violent stomach pangs caused by hunger. I have been fortunate that, even in financially hard times, my family always had enough resources to pay for food in the medium term (going without food, or without sufficient food, for a short time does not cause malnutrition).

I have been reminded of this when discussing my own hunger on this forum, and when other people talk about hunger, or about fasting. Many of us -- even on one, or another, restrictive diet -- are consuming more food than our ancestors could manage to hunt, forage or grow for themselves. To really "know" hunger would, I suppose, entail doing something like the Newcastle Diet or doing some extreme fasting?

Reactions: fletchweb

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can attest to that @Grateful - it really is a stabbing/twisting pain & can actually kill your appetite dead. Very unpleasant!

Reactions: Grateful

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that very low carbing and intermittent fasting has taught me the difference between craving, feeling a vague need/desire to eat and proper hunger. Mostly what I previously identified as hunger proves to be a passing sensation. I often find I get less hungry on days when I’m eating one meal a day than on days when I eat more than once.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with @Goonergal. I tend to fast three days a week, skip lunch Monday, Wednesday and Friday, easy, I am at work and I don't take any food in with me. Don't ever actually feel hunger. Tuesday and Thursday I work 14:00 to 22:00, so am at home for lunch.... availability and conditioning make it harder not to eat something, esp when preparing lunch for son....
then on the other side...
I've never feel full.... even though I may have packed away some size of fish curry on a Thursday night.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting question! We're certainly fortunate that most of us don't have to experience real hunger. We're surrounded by food, and special offers, yet some (or too many) people are relying on food banks or other charity. It's certainly something I've been forced to look at now I have to cut/watch the carbs. It's also something where we're quite vulnerable as a nation. So UK would struggle to be self-sufficient in food. Any catastrophic breakdown in transportation or power would knock out most of our supermarkets and force a pretty drastic change in diets. So something like another Carrington event.

But I think we've certainly got lazy, but there's also some romanticising about the past. So the Primordial.. I mean Paleo diet attempts some ancestor worship. So 'basic' foods from Neolithic times, yet excludes some foods like legumes and dairy. The Aurochs were around in Europe at the time, so no real historic reason to exclude those. Nor most legumes, depending on what part of the world you want to pretend you're in.. So there's no real reason to exclude coffee either. But there would have been a lot more energy expenditure being a hunter/gather foraging for nuts, berries, seeds, game etc than prowling supermarket aisles looking for a BOGOF of beer. Or worse, ordering online for home delivery.. Click on the picture of beefburgers before it gets away.. Increasing obesity in the developed West suggests we're eating too much though, or too much of the wrong things.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree totally. most people are over fed and over fed with the wrong foods. For those of us that are lucky that keto works for us and kills our appetites and cravings., we know we are fueling our bodies correctly. I could quite easily do a fat fast. But would have no idea how to take insulin for just fat haha. I could do without all carbs ( except avo as it balances my bg) and without protein for a bit but if there’s not enough fat, I’d be starving. I eat an 80% fat diet but it’s more normal portions vs gobbling. It just makes up a higher percentage of my diet. Some protein, some avo, some nuts, some oil or mayo. Nothing fried and no fatty meats.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never feel full.... even though I may have packed away some size of fish curry on a Thursday night.

Probably because you are no longer feeling bloated, which is what happens after too many carbs. There is a difference between being full and feeling bloated that get mixed up in our subconscious..... Just a thought....

Reactions: Grateful

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
To really "know" hunger would, I suppose, entail doing something like the Newcastle Diet or doing some extreme fasting?

Personally I didn't feel that hungry while cutting my calorie intake to around 800 calories. That is partially down to drinking a lot of water and also trying very hard not to think about food all the time. I should mention that by removing sources of protein from my diet you can eat a lot of vegetables for 800 calories, so that's probably got a lot to do with it.

I've recently watched Fat, Sick and nearly dead, a film about an Australian, Joe Cross (I think) who, at 40 and 300 lbs went on a Juice diet for 60 days, so a lot of veg, but juiced. A film crew followed his journey, a journey in 2 ways because he travelled round the U.S. talking to people about weight, diet etc. I don't remember him mentioning hunger, but then 60 days on a juice diet would be next to impossible if he was hungry all the time. I'll have to read his book.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I didn't feel that hungry while cutting my calorie intake to around 800 calories. That is partially down to drinking a lot of water and also trying very hard not to think about food all the time. I should mention that by removing sources of protein from my diet you can eat a lot of vegetables for 800 calories, so that's probably got a lot to do with it.

I've recently watched Fat, Sick and nearly dead, a film about an Australian, Joe Cross (I think) who, at 40 and 300 lbs went on a Juice diet for 60 days, so a lot of veg, but juiced. A film crew followed his journey, a journey in 2 ways because he travelled round the U.S. talking to people about weight, diet etc. I don't remember him mentioning hunger, but then 60 days on a juice diet would be next to impossible if he was hungry all the time. I'll have to read his book.
I wonder how that would pan out for a diabetic. Seems too fast for digestion causing higher bs?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I wonder how that would pan out for a diabetic.

I seem to remember that he had been diagnosed as pre-diabetic, but would need to check it out. He certainly has something to say about juicing for diabetics.

https://www.rebootwithjoe.com/rebooting-and-juicing-with-diabetes/

Seems too fast for digestion causing higher bs?

I'm probably being thick. Are you saying that fast digestion (shorter intestinal transit times?) can cause higher BG? I'm not advocating the 60 day reboot, although tempted because I know how effective just eating vegetables was on my BG. Roast or Juiced, who knows? I did note that Joe Cross does suggest more veg and less fruit.

Fearless36

I recall reading somewhere, that most of us in the Western world are not hungry but dehydrated and we get the signals confused 98% of the time. For diabetics, I seem to recall hearing a doctor say that most T1 and T2 are severely dehydrated due to the condition also. It is an interesting point though. Initially I had to learn how to rehydrate myself properly by drinking a 5 ounce glass every half hour - for the waking day rather than guzzling water down when I remembered. It seems a lot but its one of the ways of ensuring you don't have to run to the loo every 5 minutes, and that way you are actually replenishing the water loss that your body experiences on a day to day basis.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So if the word "hungry" is no longer PC then what do we say when we would like some food?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I seem to remember that he had been diagnosed as pre-diabetic, but would need to check it out. He certainly has something to say about juicing for diabetics.

https://www.rebootwithjoe.com/rebooting-and-juicing-with-diabetes/

I'm probably being thick. Are you saying that fast digestion (shorter intestinal transit times?) can cause higher BG? I'm not advocating the 60 day reboot, although tempted because I know how effective just eating vegetables was on my BG. Roast or Juiced, who knows? I did note that Joe Cross does suggest more veg and less fruit.

Juicing makes the nutrients, including the carbohydrates, rapidly available by breaking down the cell walls and mixing up the cell contents.

If you eat the un-juiced fruit and vegetables then your digestive system has to break down the cell walls which takes time. So you can take something rated as medium to low GI and turn it into high GI, which is more prone to give you a high spike in BG.

This is one reason that fruit juices are not recommended for T2s because of the rapid sugar hot. Drinking apple juice is a lot more rapid than chewing a crunchy apple. Not that apples are particularly recommended, either.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So if the word "hungry" is no longer PC then what do we say when we would like some food?
I require gustatory appeasement, facilitated by masticated victuals passing into one's upper abdomen?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A bit verbose I think by the time I'd have said that I would have fainted from a non PC condition.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think the word is fine!!!! I could have phrased it better by saying the word has two rather different meanings.....

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the word is fine!!!! I could have phrased it better by saying the word has two rather different meanings.....
Rather than "hungry", I think the word that is more misused is "starving". It should mean that you are in danger of dying not that you have just come home from school and fancy a bag of crisps.

Reactions: woodywhippet61

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m peckish?! Doesn’t sound so urgent!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My old dad used to come in from a hard day at the boozer and say wheres my tea my stomach thinks my throat's been cut.

My dear old mum would then say it's in the bin.

Reactions: Crystalwand