Hungry

John7956

Anyone feel constantly hungry. I eat absolutely loads of carbs, meat vegetables and fruit but never feel like I've had enough. Anyone have anything that really fills them up (also ideally won't affect BM very much)?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Allic1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi John,

I hear ya :wink: Brown rice works for me, I hate it, but love the weight loss effects :lolno:

Ryvita and 80% fat free philly ?

I also love roasted veggies done in the air fryer tossed in a little olive oil and herbs could eat those all day long :lol:

Are you working out, a lot ? maybe your body just needs more food if your are?

Good luck :thumbup:
Alli

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
John7956 said:
Anyone feel constantly hungry. I eat absolutely loads of carbs, meat vegetables and fruit but never feel like I've had enough. Anyone have anything that really fills them up (also ideally won't affect BM very much)?

The clue might be in " I eat absolutely loads of carbs".

I find that carbs (especially bread) make me feel hungry again very quickly, and I get cravings.

I have found that protein generally fills me up and reduces/stops the cravings.

For example, breakfast of egg, bacon, sausage (90%+ pork), tomatoes and mushrooms (full English without the toast) can fill me up for the rest of the day.

It also seems to keep the weight down and the BG down, which is good.

There is also a condition where the mechanism in your body to tell you that you are full doesn't work properly.
Might be worth chatting with your GP.

The Daily Mail reported on one such condition here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Cheers

LGC

John7956

Thanks will give suggestions a try. Hope it works. Will also ask dr if it could be anything medical

WhitbyJet

John7956 said:

Drop thr carbs, they make you hungry, sending you some links to explain. Eat plenty of low carb vwggies, berries, protein and fat, the healthy fats so no oils or margarine!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/curb-you ... z2ZUNjx1kO

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 110113.htm

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-suppress-ap ... 79320.html

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I'd say it's the insulin that makes you hungry I've been told that by my consultant. I never had a problem with constant hunger until I was put on insulin! I don't think it's anything to do with carbs.

WhitbyJet

Sarah69 said:
I'd say it's the insulin that makes you hungry I've been told that by my consultant. I never had a problem with constant hunger until I was put on insulin! I don't think it's anything to do with carbs.

Oh yes, absolutely, its the insulin response, so the more carbs you ingest the more insulin you inject the hungrier you get, so you eat yet more carbs and yet more insulin injections........great isnt it?!

Reducing those carbs means reducing insulin, which means less hunger.......

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
It's an awful cycle, I'm so glad ive been taken off insulin. I gained quite a bit of weight as well, since the end of May when I went onto Byetta I've lost just over 2st I hope I never have to go back on insulin.

GetUnconscious

Reduce your simple carb intake (basically all comfort foods such as white bread, crisps, pasta etc). Increase your lean protein intake (eggs, fish, white meat etc) and don't avoid fat!!! Just find the right fats and use in moderation. Olives have good fats, avocados, fish, eggs and nuts etc all do too. Fats satiate your appetite making you feel happy and full.

When you eat carbohydrates your blood sugar raises immediately but then in time drops back down as much as it raises (obviously for type one this effect happens due to injecting). The effect leaves you feeling down, hungry and sluggish. When you eat your meal always eat the carbohydrate first and the protein last, where possible. This will help digest your food in the correct order meaning you will be able to use the energy you have consumed in the most efficient way. It takes around fifteen minutes for food to be digested and for your synthetic insulin to do its thing. It's at this point that you will feel hungry again if you've eaten too much carbohydrate.

Think of it as carbohydrate being what you need for the NOW and protein being the source of energy for the log run. If you don't run your ow energy your body will automatically begin to retain fat because instinctively it will try to burn the carbohydrates that you've fed it. Carbohydrates will always be the bodies first port of call for an energy resource. That's the reason why a protein rich breakfast is actually much better for anybody (diabetic or not). It gives your body the signal that it can take energy from your muscle system and your fat sources. So if you need to add bulk increase your carbs but if you want to lose weight just lower your carbs and eat more protein.