Husband type 1, won't check sugars

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
The trouble is he tends to avoid programs like this. I think it all goes back to him being I'm denial about it. I mentioned to him this morning that I had joined this forum and maybe it would be good for him to have a read. I've only been on here for a night and received more support in that time then the 4 years of his diagnosis! X

Just a thought..do you share a pc or laptop? If so, could you accidentally (on purpose) leave it open on the DCUK homepage or forum and suddenly be very busy for an hour or two elsewhere - ask him to close it down for you or something of that ilk, he may have a sneaky peak if he doesn't think you are watching him.
Oh, and save it to favourites or somewhere really noticeable;)

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The trouble is he tends to avoid programs like this. I think it all goes back to him being I'm denial about it. I mentioned to him this morning that I had joined this forum and maybe it would be good for him to have a read. I've only been on here for a night and received more support in that time then the 4 years of his diagnosis! X
Is there any way you could point him to the main menu, then leave him to quietly navjgate the forum at his own speed, Important .that he does not feel pressured to do this, so you should step back and not look over his shoulder unless he wants to talk about it. Good luck, and I hope he has an inquisitive streak.

Harris182

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
He has no interest in the forum :( I think he's scared that reading about it will bring home what it is he's actually got. He got angry at me when he found out I was talking about him, I think he feels it's non of my business x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He has no interest in the forum :( I think he's scared that reading about it will bring home what it is he's actually got. He got angry at me when he found out I was talking about him, I think he feels it's non of my business x

That might suggest he does know underneath it all that he's harming himself.

Another thought - have you tried asking him how he'd feel if it was the other way round? That is, if you had a potentially dangerous condition which could be controlled but you were choosing to ignore it even though you knew what you should be doing?

You know your husband and we don't, so only you can decide what's the best course of action, but if listening kindly doesn't work, perhaps you need to be a bit blunter?

Reactions: 8 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Harris182

I'm going to play "devil's advocate" here. No offence intended.

I was diagnosed at the age of 8. My mum used to work in the local hospital & I heard tales of woe regarding uncontrolled diabetics.
In fairness it all sounded like "chewing gum wrapping around the heart" urban myths to me at the time..
It wasn't until I broke into a "lodging" medical student's room looking for answers (she had a lot of medical books.) while she was ironically out "clubbing", that the stories were substantiated..
There was no internet back then.. Lol

Reading this thread. The thing that stands out here is your proffession..?

No one likes to think they live with a "nark" (informant.) lol
The guy's probably getting a fair bit of cold NHS professionalism with all the appointments..?

I'd say start basic. Blood testing & honest logging of carbs & insulin..
Once the benefits of decent managment is understood (& felt.!)

Move on with the cigarettes & alcohol... ;)

Best wishes.

Reactions: 5 people

Harris182

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
The trouble is he refuses to do the basics, so far this year he's checked his sugars 4 times. He wouldn't do it last night because he knew it would be high so why bother. .. He has never counted carbs and won't learn how. I would do anytime for him to do the basics xx

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Ok, blunt honesty time - and trust me, I know what you're talking about. I'm a firm believer in respect for privacy, and non intrusion into health matters, whether it's friends or partners. If it's an issue that will impact on me in the future, I will speak my piece. It is his decision what he wants to do and I think that tales of kidney failure and amputations aren't going to make a scrap of difference. But I would make it really clear, especially as he gets riled quickly, that you respect his decision to choose to ignore the diabetes. As long as he is clear that when he gets ill, or loses his mobility, you will not be responsible for his care - or pushing his wheelchair. You can't do more so feel no guilt xx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The trouble is he refuses to do the basics, so far this year he's checked his sugars 4 times. He wouldn't do it last night because he knew it would be high so why bother. .. He has never counted carbs and won't learn how. I would do anytime for him to do the basics xx

Assuming your husband drives. (& totally putting aside the T1 DVLC thing.)
What is he like as a driver? Clean licence? No speeding points? Carful considerate regarding the Highway Code??

Point is, a BS meter is a gauge like a speedo in a car.. Even a "boy racer" likes to know how fast he's going.! o_O

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe making him realise that its not only about his future but also yours and your children, would help?I think its extremly selfish of him to neglect his health, as it will have negative impact not only on him but also on people he loves. And its not if he gets serious complications but when. With this attitude it is probably not a very distant future. Would you think about relationship with someone who takes drugs or drinks heavily? What he does is not much different

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would you think about relationship with someone who takes drugs or drinks heavily? What he does is not much different

Funny you mention that comparison..
I walked away from such a relationship for the sake of my own health.. (I was falling by the wayside dealing with someone else's "ostrich".)
Sometimes you have to wake up & taste the pear drops..

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

That's terrible : o He should be testing at least 4 times a day, usually more, as I'm sure you know.

Why bother when you know it's goung to be high? To see exactly how high his blood sugar is (eg does he need to check for ketones?) and to see if he needs a correction dose to bring his sugars down and thereby reduce the risk of complications, let alone minor health issues like thrush! Maybe tell him that if he actually does say "What's the point?"

It sounds like he's in denial.

As someone on this forum said once, "You can ignore your diabetes, but diabetes won't ignore you..."

If it was my OH, I'd ask him why he wasn't testing, etc, and then go from there, depending on his response.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also, as others have mentioned, I think, if he's driving and not testing he's breaking the law. Maybe the thought of losing his licence (or worse) might make him amend his ways. Only you can judge what might work.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
With respect to all, I think the point is being missed that the OP mentioned her hubby got angry with her for even posting on this forum - is it advisable to tell her to push him even more? He may well be in denial but that goes for those who smoke, drink, take ton of salt while having hypertension..
Generally speaking, people know the risks and that's what they are denying, that it could happen to them. No pushing by a partner against an angry hubby/wife will help and may aggravate things so it just had to be hoped that the OP puts her personal feelings about the future, and that he takes heed.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've spent a lot of my working life, dealing with Change, in one form or another. More often that not it would be corporate and cultural change, but the knock-on from that is if the entity or culture are to change, the people in it need to change too to a larger or lesser degree, obviously.

I've asid it many times on this forum, but for people to change, firstly, they have to want to. Secondly, they have to recognise and answer to the “What's in it for me?” question. In a corporate sense that can be, “If I don't, I'll be sacked” or the like. I'm sure you get the drift.

In the foregoing circumstances (i.e. the person could be sacked), they usually comply with the requirement to change, albeit without grace and exhibiting reluctance – usually moaning a lot and trundling around with a face like thunder.

However, sometimes a creative approach is required. There's a phrase I often think of when I'm up against it in trying the engage change in a person. That phrase is, “How do you make a stubborn pig walk forward?” The answer is you certainly don't grab it by the ear and pull it forward, or plead with it. You pull it backwards. You pull it backwards, then release after a short while. As soon as you release the pressure they surge forwards.

If only it was that simple, eh?

But, perhaps you turn the tables and offer him lots of inappropriate food – more than he might choose for himself, and see what he does.

If he is being stubborn and just not wanting to do what everybody wants him to, you might just find he starts declining some of it, because to eat it, he would be complying.

If he laps it up, then when he's feeling all satisfied from overdoing it, you could ask him how he feels. If his numbers are high, he may go all tired and listless. But, that could be a way of opening a more fruitful conversation. Of course, that's a risk only you can decide upon.

Sometimes folks, if they're rebelling, actually get stuck in a corner. They “can't” change because it would be giving in, or conceding that “they”/you/whomever were right. Nobody likes to be wrong, and some folks are very bad at admitting it.

Perhaps if he isn't feeling like he's always fighting to get his way he might choose a better path. I'm not talking about a miraculous about face from out of control to the perfect diabetic.

You're in a very difficult situation, without doubt.

If that option doesn't appeal to you, or if you feel it is too risky, even for a week, then could you find a couple of hours to write to him? In that letter, I wouldn't advise telling him all the things he's doing wrong and the consequences of those transgressions. I would summarise it as something like, “You know you're rebelling against your diabetes,…...”, then go on to explain to him how it makes you feel. If you concentrate on how his behaviour makes you feel, he cannot tell you you're wrong. They're your feelings, so you know what they are. He might try to argue you are wrong to feel that way, but he can only do that by explaining why.

Have you considered how much longer you can tolerate this as a relationship? That's 100% rhetorical. I don't want an answer.

Harris182

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I think, I'm gonna sit him down and make him read all your responses. It might sink in more coming from others with diabetes. He might listen to you !!!!! (I hope!!) I'm glad tho that it's not just me over reacting and that this does need to be dealt with. Thank you all so much! Xxx

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think, I'm gonna sit him down and make him read all your responses. It might sink in more coming from others with diabetes. He might listen to you !!!!! (I hope!!) I'm glad tho that it's not just me over reacting and that this does need to be dealt with. Thank you all so much! Xxx

Best sit "formally" at a table....over a cuppa...

As a professional the only time in a NHS world to sit on a settee or comfy chairs etc is a diagnosis of a disease with C....
Management never make decisions or talks on a sofa...always at a table.

Sit opposite each other at a table and it makes things less emotional...

We were told this at a counselling session and it was the best advice we ever got....when we had our house gutted downstairs and no floorboards I can remember lugging a coffee table upstairs and "requesting" hubby just sit on the floor the other side of it....its better if you can both agree beforehand that neither one of you will get up from the table until matters are resolved!!

Good luck...

Reactions: 4 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Harris182
Just wanted to wish you all the best in trying to find a solution to this...I know from experience what it is like to live with someone with diabetes who refuses to acknowledge their diabetes and take the steps necessary to control their condition and how worrying it can be to think of the complications that could arise as a result of that.
I hope you manage to find some way of finding a solution that is acceptable to both of you....on a personal note I have often found that my partner will not take any notice of what I may say but will sometimes take more notice of a medical professional or possibly another family member...do you have anyone that you could speak to yourself that could perhaps nudge him gently in the right direction...

Bunny Hugger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People
I've been Type 1 for 20 years. I'm with your husband. I think I lost interest about 6 weeks after diagnosis when the consultant told me it gets worse from here on in. Way to go Fisher. I don't check my sugars, I only take Levemir at night to stop me from having to go to the toilet during the night and even then it's not every night. I was actively discouraged to do the carb counting thing. Yes, I went along to the introduction but was told not to bother coming back. I've been intimidated and threatened by one of the nurses after going in to have a blister treated (I do take care of my feet). Throwing horror stories at him will not work. Threats will not work. I think we both think the same - doesn't matter what you inject, pill you pop, food you eat - you're still diabetic. Honestly why would anyone tempt a hypo? All it takes is for one person to take advantage of the situation. And it has happened. A little bit of high blood sugar, no risk of hypos which might make him think no risk of passing out at the wheel if he drives. Everyone is different. I do have some nerve damage but that could happen to someone who has good control as well. I don't bother with this forum or the emails most of the time but he's not the only one who doesn't do what someone else wants. You can at least let him know that instead of having a go and yes, nagging.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly why would anyone tempt a hypo?

.... It's a bit like a BBC wildlife documentary..? Bit of cheese in a trap & some night vision lenses!
I can even do the David Attenborough commentary.. :D