hyello

Alzeeb

Hi all, Newbie to the forum here.

so the possibility of maybe being diabetic was raised by my doctor about three years ago when I went with foot pain that turned out to be gout, and she decided that I was too overweight and blood pressure was too high, so she ordered blood and urine tests. I would have been about 18.5-19 stone at the time(quite possibly more), and my HbA1c came back as 55, and at the time she said is was Pre-diabetic.
I had no follow up apart from some retinopathy screening until a couple months ago when I got a letter to make an appointment for a diabetic review. so went along and the nurse took my bloods and sample for testing, checked my feet(all good) weight was 109Kg just over 17 stone, which was down about a stone from the last time I weighed myself about a year previously, this was probably due to me being more strict with my portion control and amount of snacking, I've been working from home after being made redundant last September so not as active being at work as I would have been. But my HbA1c has shot up to 77. And in all honesty, this has shocked me quite a bit. I thought I was doing reasonably well with what I was eating, and the fact I'd lost weight, I would have put money on it improving, or at least stayed similar. I'm not particularly motivated at the best of times, and it has taken a serious hit over the last couple of weeks.
The nurse gave me the choice of starting medication straight away or to try to lower it myself, so have until December to make significant progress as I don't want to take any drugs if I can help it. but I've struggled to make any real progress since, and am considering just calling the DN and going forward with the medication route, even though I don't want to.

So am definitely looking for as much advice, and probably more than I've even thought of yet.
But Hi

Reactions: coby and SaskiaKC

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

so the possibility of maybe being diabetic was raised by my doctor about three years ago when I went with foot pain that turned out to be gout, and she decided that I was too overweight and blood pressure was too high, so she ordered blood and urine tests. I would have been about 18.5-19 stone at the time(quite possibly more), and my HbA1c came back as 55, and at the time she said is was Pre-diabetic.
I had no follow up apart from some retinopathy screening until a couple months ago when I got a letter to make an appointment for a diabetic review. so went along and the nurse took my bloods and sample for testing, checked my feet(all good) weight was 109Kg just over 17 stone, which was down about a stone from the last time I weighed myself about a year previously, this was probably due to me being more strict with my portion control and amount of snacking, I've been working from home after being made redundant last September so not as active being at work as I would have been. But my HbA1c has shot up to 77. And in all honesty, this has shocked me quite a bit. I thought I was doing reasonably well with what I was eating, and the fact I'd lost weight, I would have put money on it improving, or at least stayed similar. I'm not particularly motivated at the best of times, and it has taken a serious hit over the last couple of weeks.
The nurse gave me the choice of starting medication straight away or to try to lower it myself, so have until December to make significant progress as I don't want to take any drugs if I can help it. but I've struggled to make any real progress since, and am considering just calling the DN and going forward with the medication route, even though I don't want to.

So am definitely looking for as much advice, and probably more than I've even thought of yet.
But Hi
Hello Alzeeb,

I'm a little surprised they dubbed you prediabetic at 55, as that's in the diabetic range, but only just. I wish they'd given you a bit more guidance back then rather than just let you guess at it all. Ah well... You're here now. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ should help you get your blood sugars down without medication. I mean, you could get started on some, but the first thing you'll be put on is some form of metformin or another, and that, I'm guessing, wouldn't make enough of a dent to get you back into the normal range. A change in diet would. (We can't process carbs. Cut those out and blood sugars come down. It really is that simple.).

All in all it would just be a change in your current diet, which you've already done before with some success in weight reduction, which indicates you can do this... And stick to it. You just have to know what to eat, and what to avoid, is all.

Good luck!
Jo

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

But Hi
Hi Alzeeb. That must have cone as quite shock to you! Can you give us an idea of what your usual daily diet consists of?

Alzeeb

Hello Alzeeb,

I'm a little surprised they dubbed you prediabetic at 55, as that's in the diabetic range, but only just. I wish they'd given you a bit more guidance back then rather than just let you guess at it all. Ah well... You're here nowshould help you get your blood sugars down without medication. I mean, you could get started on some, but the first thing you'll be put on is some form of metformin or another, and that, I'm guessing, wouldn't make enough of a dent to get you back into the normal range. A change in diet would. (We can't process carbs. Cut those out and blood sugars come down. It really is that simple.).

All in all it would just be a change in your current diet, which you've already done before with some success in weight reduction, which indicates you can do this... And stick to it. You just have to know what to eat, and what to avoid, is all.

Good luck!
Jo
Hiya

From what I've read, mostly here, I'm surprised now too. I think I did say the same to the dr about not wanting to go on any meds then as well. I have been reading here a bit today, including your blog post, and one thing that has popped into my head is that the dr said oatcakes were "good" carbs, which now doesn't sound right. your blog was interesting, and I will no doubt go back to it along with a lot of the other dietary help here.

One thing I would like some advise on generally is about BG meter. I was impulsive and was sent a Contour next one for free, but have since realised that it is probably free as the strips are expensive. I phoned today to speak with the nurse and could only get an appt in two weeks. so would like to know any recommendations from anyone that is not expensive to use.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
I don't want to take any drugs if I can help it.
Why? And what do you need to have happened to get to the point where you do "need" them? I am so glad you've joined this Forum.

Reactions: Jananet

Alzeeb

Hi Alzeeb. That must have cone as quite shock to you! Can you give us an idea of what your usual daily diet consists of?
Hi.
Probably not in all honesty;), it's not something that I really kept tabs on after the fact. A big changeover the last year is I've been working from home after being made redundant, and actually eat breakfast most days, which has been mostly cereal, so this could account for some of the rise. I'd cut down on how often I ate pasta and tatties, and ate rice more regularly, so this something else I can change. Just hope I can make enough of a difference before the next review

Alzeeb

Why? And what do you need to have happened to get to the point where you do "need" them? I am so glad you've joined this Forum.
Just not keen on taking them regularly for extended amounts of time. I only take painkillers if I really need to, same with things like antibiotics. Part is that I don't like the Idea of being dependant on them, and that eventually they may not be as effective. And then there's the long term effect on other organs like liver & kidneys. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some anti-vax/drug type. If a dr tells me I really need to, then I will.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi.
Probably not in all honesty;), it's not something that I really kept tabs on after the fact. A big changeover the last year is I've been working from home after being made redundant, and actually eat breakfast most days, which has been mostly cereal, so this could account for some of the rise. I'd cut down on how often I ate pasta and tatties, and ate rice more regularly, so this something else I can change. Just hope I can make enough of a difference before the next review
Ahh yes. Cereals, rice, pasta, bread, potatoes are all bad choices as very carb heavy.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
If a dr tells me I really need to, then I will.
I had to get to an HBA1C of 89, before I was presented with METFORMIN and a monitoring system. Here’s the thing: there appears to be a type Goldilocks-syndrome, where you’re not “bad” or diabetes-challenged enough to warrant GP attention, but worried enough to try and make a change. This is a phoney war. Read my signature.

And again, I truly vey pleased you’re here.

Alzeeb

Ahh yes. Cereals, rice, pasta, bread, potatoes are all bad choices as very carb heavy.
Yeah, I thought I'd cut down reasonably on the carbs, and eat 90% wholemeal bread. cut out a lot of chocolate & sweets, I've still got chocolate left in the fridge from christmas. obviously still got work to do, and lots to learn, but fingers crossed I'll do enough to not have to go on medication

Alzeeb

I had to get to an HBA1C of 89, before I was presented with METFORMIN and a monitoring system. Here’s the thing: there appears to be a type Goldilocks-syndrome, where you’re not “bad” or diabetes-challenged enough to warrant GP attention, but worried enough to try and make a change. This is a phoney war. Read my signature.

And again, I truly vey pleased you’re here.
I'm in Scotland, so prescriptions are free up here anyway(not something I particularly agree with). but I find now that doctors are sometimes just very keen to chuck drugs at everything. I am big enough and ugly enough(so my mother said) to make changes to my life so that I'm not putting more pressure on an organisation that can be very stretched, especially by those too lazy/ignorant, or even sometimes just downright stupid...
I'm gonna stop there as I'm getting a bit ranty

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah, I thought I'd cut down reasonably on the carbs, and eat 90% wholemeal bread. cut out a lot of chocolate & sweets, I've still got chocolate left in the fridge from christmas. obviously still got work to do, and lots to learn, but fingers crossed I'll do enough to not have to go on medication
Wholemeal is still carbs sadly x

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings @Alzeeb
My doc diagnosed me with an A1c of 52 & a follow up of 48.
You've been done a disservice by being described as a pre-diabetic.
A proper diagnosis at the time might have made you proactive.

But that's in the past now so we move on.
Like you I was 19.5st at diagnosis, I took it serious, hit low carb with some moderate exercise & the weight fell off me.
Great to see you're down 2 stone but I reckon with low carb you could double that.
There's a theory that obese diabetics have clogged up their liver and pancreas in visceral fat & this is what causes their insulin resistance, take the time to read up on Prof Roy Taylor & the Direct Study.

All I can tell you is that it worked for me, I lost 5st & over the course of a year gained back my glucose control.
A few weeks ago an Endo offered to remove my diagnosis so you can see what is possible.
The key is low carb & eat to your meter, the weight will look after itself from there.

Good luck

Reactions: Jananet and Alzeeb

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya

From what I've read, mostly here, I'm surprised now too. I think I did say the same to the dr about not wanting to go on any meds then as well. I have been reading here a bit today, including your blog post, and one thing that has popped into my head is that the dr said oatcakes were "good" carbs, which now doesn't sound right. your blog was interesting, and I will no doubt go back to it along with a lot of the other dietary help here.

One thing I would like some advise on generally is about BG meter. I was impulsive and was sent a Contour next one for free, but have since realised that it is probably free as the strips are expensive. I phoned today to speak with the nurse and could only get an appt in two weeks. so would like to know any recommendations from anyone that is not expensive to use.
Hi Alzeeb,

I use a Contour TS, and while reliable, yeah... Contour strips are dear. Nothing wrong with being impulsive though, you got the idea right, just have to find something that'll accommodate testing 6 times a day or so when you just start out. You won't always be testing so much, but when you begin... It's an eye-opener. There's other options, like the Tee2 that'll be more sustainable in the long run. The odds of you getting strips off the nurse are slim to none, as then they'd have to provide testing material to many, many T2's and bankrupt the NHS, so... The bulk of us self-fund. (Alas, no Tee2 in the Netherlands.).

As you stated, you're still having at it with the wholemeal/wholewheat... Which is just as carby as the next grain-made bread, really. Chocolate's still on the table though, provided it's extra dark. If you find 85% Lindt too bitter, have a gulp of cream or some pecans or walnuts with it. Your palette will change when you cut back on the carbs, and things that seem bitter now will taste sweeter eventually. I love peruvian 100% chocolate, which'll make people make faces usually, but I can often find a note of vanilla or fruit in there others can't detect. It's a very rich complex flavour and it goes right over others'heads. So who knows... There may be hope yet!

Reactions: Alzeeb