Hypo symptoms..... what are yours?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi All
When I was first diagnosed with T1 , one of the few things I was given was a sheet of paper with a list of various “ common “ symptoms of hypo.
They varied from headaches , to trembling , irritability, sweating , etc etc etc. Quite a long list as I remember.
I was just wondering what the people on the forums symptoms are, and are there any really different ones .
To kick it off I’ll list mine.....
Absolute Enormoussssssssssss hunger could eat the contents of a fridge ,,then eat the fridge, and only chocolate will do, ( I have never had a sweet tooth and only eat chocolate during a hypo.... hmmm wonders if he is pregnant..lol)
Sometimes I sweat especially when have a hypo during sleep and I mean SWEAT bed like a swimming pool .
My partner also says I get irritable and “look grey” . I know I also struggle to concentrate,
I find it fascinating how a small drop in blood sugar can affect people ( in various ways) and how quickly I can return to relative normality after a sugar input.
Hypos are a serious subject for diabetics and should never be ignored, I hope this post will help the newly diagnosed realise that there are various symptoms , which in time you will definitely come to recognise as individual to yourself.
Remember
“Nil carborundum illegitimate”

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My symptoms are clammy sweating and shaking, legs feeling weak - but this develops into blinding headache, terrible stomach ache.

In the past I've also felt a very distinct side to side trembling in my fingers, even if it wasn't visible as BG drops towards low.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Back in then"olden days" it was like "steel magnolia..."

On MDI? (Let's think.) pending on type of insulin active? Early signs are like "dementia." (brain waving the "White flag.) walking into rap room & forgetting "why?" Then a heads up display. (For me with the eyes.) Flickering lower vision eye sight. Dancing lights. Shimmering haze or blue/green butterfly wing hue in the vision . (Not to be confused with natural meteorological occurance.) loss of natural confidence.. (Emotionally.) To name a few in the early stages..

Just check the bloods when you feel "something" isn't right. You will tune into your personal symptoms.. ;)

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah forgot about flickering lower eyesight and it is always lower.!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I often get a feeling of just not feeling right, tiredness, sometimes sweating, feeling down and upset too, also'seeing' flickering movement from eye's, then, very hungry.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Often sweating and feeling hot. Usually feeling 'spaced out' and not quite with it; an awareness that somethings not right. Only sometimes shaking or feeling weak. I never feel hunger.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah forgot about flickering lower eyesight and it is always lower.!

Yep, a little trickier to spot if swimming? With the light dancing off the water.

Often sweating and feeling hot. Usually feeling 'spaced out' and not quite with it; an awareness that somethings not right. Only sometimes shaking or feeling weak. I never feel hunger.

There is a need to eat for me. But no, I wouldn't call it "traditional" hunger.

There have been cases of some refusing to drink or eat something during hypos. (When offered treatment by 3rd party.)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Remembered that my eyes do get affected , this is only in recent years though, I’ve also started getting a tad insecure, start thinking about “stupid” things like how much money I got in the bank( which ain’t a lot) ,
I will say before I was diagnosed with diabetes I can remember playing football on a Sunday ( always about 30 a side) and getting the feeling of extreme hunger. I use to have a piece of bread and butter it cured it so was probably suffering from low bs then ( not uncommon I know with people who Aren’t diabetic) . Also my hypos have changed as I’ve got older . I am still very hypo aware but symptoms have definitely changed. Diabetes is such an ever evolving animal I think..lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remembered that my eyes do get affected , this is only in recent years though, I’ve also started getting a tad insecure, start thinking about “stupid” things like how much money I got in the bank( which ain’t a lot) ,
I will say before I was diagnosed with diabetes I can remember playing football on a Sunday ( always about 30 a side) and getting the feeling of extreme hunger. I use to have a piece of bread and butter it cured it so was probably suffering from low bs then ( not uncommon I know with people who Aren’t diabetic) . Also my hypos have changed as I’ve got older . I am still very hypo aware but symptoms have definitely changed. Diabetes is such an ever evolving animal I think..lol

Yep, true the eyes have it first in my experience on human based insulin..
The shakes & sweats in the early years hit me first like a ton of bricks on the animal strain insulin.. But that also may have been partly due to the regime..? (Fixed dosage, portion control & snacks to slap it down?) MDI is a different & more flexible affair.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With me it's slight distortion with my eyesight then impatience which develops into the temper from hell. I'm retired now but when working, folks sitting close to me would pick up on me banging desk drawers or arguing loudly with someone on the phone and would bring me something sweet to drink or eat. Like so many diabetics I always said I was OK and refused but thankfully, they stood over me until I'd finished what they'd kindly brought me.

Bill

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Headache if I have been sitting still, watching film / working on computer, so I reckon level is dropping more slowly, sudden tremendous hunger and shakiness , before sweating, if I have been on my feet shopping, hoovering etc. Used to get double vision when I was pregnant, but that gradually disappeared as a hypo symptom in the months afterwards. It was a real nuisance and I had to shut one eye to be able to do anything. Sweating during the night, so I was frozen the moment I emerged from the bedclothes. In the middle of winter that was worse than the hypo !

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I get irritable and feel chronically fatigued in the low 4's. I sweat below 3.9.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Oddly enough I get the urge to pee !!! Hypos change depending on severity some are mild and just irritating and others are full in shakes sweats and completely exhausting.

hmcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I woke up at 2.30am this morning after feeling restless. Decided to test...3.3 then the shakes started. Small can of coke and by 2.50am up to 6.5. Happily went back to bed with a thumping headace.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I am hypo unaware, have been so for a while now. If it wasnt for the Libre Miaomiao combination with the alarms I could easily get down to the low 2's before I felt mildly hypo. Thank god for technology