hypo ?

trand

Hi,All, recently diagnosed well 2mths now, silly question really,what is a 'hypo' ?. I had a very strange experiance the other day and wonder if that what it was? I was on my pc, and just could'nt concentrate, my head felt as if I had been drinking, as in .. I felt very light headed, and my body felt lifeless, all in all very weird, ...had a cup of tea and a couple of digestives, felt ok after about 15mins... any ideas welcome as to what this was... thanks.. Trand

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is some very comprehensive information about Hypogycaemia......or a 'hypo.' Have a read:

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/hypoglycemia/

There are many posts about this subject quite recently, do a search of the Forum using the keyword and view the results. In the meantime, some general information.

Basically it is when your Bg levels are too low, below 4 mmol/l. However you should get warning signs when you drop towards those levels.........your body telling you it needs some fuel, some glucose. Giving you time to react to the low levels and eat/drink something whch is fast acting to bring the levels back up to normal, then have a small carby snack to stabilise the levels.

You don't mention what you Bg level was at the time.......you HAVE to test otherwise you could be talking about a real hypo, a 'false hypo' or even Hyperglycaemia (Hyper) as some of the symptoms are the same ??? Testing is the only way to know what eactly happened....at the time.

Get that meter out and use it to both educate and inform yourself as to what is happening........take control and ask all the questions you want to allow you to get that knowledge about Diabetes. It will be the best thing you ever do.

Ken

trand

Hi and thanks for the reply I checked out the link , and the symtoms were exactly right , so if it happens again I will definatly get my monitor out ,,, trand