Hypo

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
This morning when I got up for work I tested my bg and it was 8.6 less than an hour later when I was getting my stuff ready for work I felt awful, shaky and weak took my bg again and it was now 3.7. I then ate loads of chocolate to get my levels up again. I then got a migraine couldn’t go to work. Does anyone know why my bg dropped so quick, I’ve never had this happen before, any other hypos I’ve had before I’ve eaten then I’m fine but I had this migraine. I’ve never had to take time off work due to diabetes and I don’t want to start now!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you take any medication between getting up and leaving for work?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Yes Metformin, Jaundice and lantus.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know if you accidentally inject Lantus into a blood vessel it can then act like a fast-acting insulin, so maybe you hit a blood vessel and thus it kicked in very quickly. Obviously it might not be that, but it could be

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus can sometimes act like a very quick acting insulin if you've accidentally got some directly in your bloodstream by hitting a capillary or very small vein.
If you're usually stable around this time I'd expect this to have been the cause.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

As the others have said, it could be a lantus low. I've had this happen a couple of times and it can act scarily fast.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Could you have caught a blood vessel or possibly muscle tissue?

I do lantus. I habitually get up earlier for work than I actually need to in order to sort out any potential shenanagins that may occur from it? & I bang mine in before bed...