HypoBand - The Cold Sweat Alarm

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@Riri We are sorry you were not chosen following the overwhelming response for the open forum trials. I hope this does not discourage you from reading the reviews and then deciding if the HypoBand is suitable for your needs. We are offering a special diabetes.co.uk price.

daved.smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well that's me taken delivery of my hypoband. I would say that when it comes to tech I am fairly competent but definitely not at geeky level of expertise, however found it fairly simple to set up. It was just a matter of downloading the app to my phone then following the steps described in the you tube video.

Having worn it for a few days now I would say that the band has a larger profile than I would like but is really quite comfortable on the wrist. It is also fairly simple to use as it only has a couple of buttons on it, one being a panic button which, through the app you can set up to alert up to 3 phone numbers. Great idea if you are a concerned parent/carer etc.

I also had my first hypo whilst wearing the band. I did feel the hypo coming on and as I was getting my lucozade from the fridge the band was triggered.

I did have a similar problem though to the person who's band triggered after coming out of the shower. I put my band on immediately after drying myself and the band triggered within 5 mins. Lesson learned, in future I will delay putting my band on after showering.

I will report back in another few days with any further observations.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm unlucky in that I put the watch on a few minutes ago and the pin has popped out and I'm unable to get it back in :-( I'm now unable to use it tonight. Any advice @HypoBand UK?

Attachments

• 20150925_232316.jpg
    20150925_232316.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 577

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I used a small screw driver when I had the change my watch strap, bit fiddly but do-able, google it ;)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
just look for how to change a watch strap :)

Reactions: 4 people

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Following the update from @diamondnostril, HypoBand would like to confirm the differences between version HB1.0 (White) and version HB1.1 (Black).

The original HypoBand (HB1.0) is for Android smartphones only and up to Android version 4.3.

Whereas, HB1.1 is available for both iPhone (iOS 7 and above) and Android users (version 4.4.2 and above).

The improvements (customer’s feedback) on the HB1.1 are as follows:
  1. LED indicator is dimmer.
  2. Curvature of the unit is flatter for better comfort / fit on the wrist.
  3. Access to the server to retrieve live data on your skin temperature and relative humidity.
  4. iPhone compatible.
  5. GPS location advised on the ‘short message’.

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@ramsay_urquhart as @Gaz-M has indicated, depending how the watch is handled, the strap may sometimes dislodge. A pin is used to secure the watch strap because customers are requesting interchangeable coloured straps and therefore we need to ensure straps can be changed by the customer.

The plastic, is a medical grade and we have ensured it is lightweight as it is worn for 8 hours and more. The HypoBand is also marked as CE MDD 93/42/EEC (EU medical device class I).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well, I picked mine up from the post office this morning. Here's the in boxing video:

It's not huge, but it feels very plasticky and lightweight. In terms of quality, I'm comparing it to the Pebble Smartwatch and it comes of significantly worse. Both devices are a similar cost to purchase but the Hypoband feels more like a cheap plastic watch.

Getting it set up was a doddle, so now to wait and see what happens next.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've been wearing it in and around the house, and thought I'd wear it out to the meet up this afternoon so that others could have a look, in spite of knowing that this isn't how it is supposed to be used.

Rushing a bit between transport methods has caused me to be a little moist and the change in humidity was picked up and set the alarm off. Unfortunately, out on the street, I didn't hear it for five minutes!

I'm not sure that it would wake me up overnight either, but that remains to be seen. As I'm only carrying one phone, the alert call/message is currently disabled.

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @HypoBand UK . . .

Question from my side . . .

In the last 48 hours I have been wearing the HypoBand not only at night, but also during the day. I expect that it's not helpful at all for me during the day (because I would notice a cold sweat, while awake), but I just wanted to monitor the connection/interaction between the band and the phone.

What I have found is that the band often seems to lose communication with the phone.

I will look down at my wrist and will see that the LED has started fast-flashing. I check the status by pressing the panic button, and the phone makes no sound.

So I go to my phone, punch in the PIN code to enter it, and open the HypoBand App. Immediately, the LED returns to slow-flashing. I check the status again by pressing the panic button, and the alarm on the phone sounds.

I'm a bit disturbed that I keep getting this problem . . . if it is happening during the night, when I cannot monitor it, then the HypoBand will not be able to do its job.

Do you know what is most likely to be causing this problem? My phone? Settings on my phone? Bluetooth? The HypoBand? Me?

General info:
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, and the HypoBand 1.0.

To connect the HypoBand and phone, I switch on the HypoBand, then go into the HypoBand App, and get the slow-flashing LED. I do not exit the App; I simply leave the phone alone and its display switches off after some seconds.

The HypoBand and the phone are always within 3 metres of each other.

Thanks for any info/ideas :)
Antony

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This doesn't occur only on Android. I've seen the same behaviour on the iPhone.

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@diamondnostril I will set up my Samsung mini and the HB1.0 and report back to you shortly.

Sorry to disturb your Sunday and thanks for the information. The reason why the HypoBand would flash blue every one second is because it has lost connection (pairing) via Bluetooth. However, as per our conversation, it appears the smartphone is shutting the HypoBand App when it enters sleep mode, which is not normal.

I will now investigate the settings on our Galaxy Mini and will revert to you shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@diamondnostril I will set up my Samsung mini and the HB1.0 and report back to you shortly.

Sorry to disturb your Sunday and thanks for the information. The reason why the HypoBand would flash blue every one second is because it has lost connection (pairing) via Bluetooth. However, as per our conversation, it appears the smartphone is shutting the HypoBand App when it enters sleep mode, which is not normal.

I will now investigate the settings on our Galaxy Mini and will revert to you shortly.

Sorry to disturb YOUR Sunday too! Thanks for the callback regarding the problem. As discussed, the phone is obviously not shutting down the App immediately upon entering sleep mode. Sometimes the problem happens just 30 minutes after I have connected the band/phone, sometimes it happens as much as 3 hours after.

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@tim2000s Sorry to disturb your Sunday and thanks for accepting my call. As discussed the HypoBand is paired to your smartphone via Bluetooth. If the connection is lost, HypoBand will continue to search for the best / strongest Bluetooth signal i.e. your smartphone (within a 10 meter radius) and the reason for the rapid flashing blue indicator. Bluetooth will always locate the HypoBand and normally within 3 - 5 seconds.

There is a safety function within HypoBand that advises that the connection is temporally lost, otherwise this could potentially be a catastrophic situation. The same as a smoke detector sounding at home, it requires your attention.

The majority of Fitness bands and smartwatch devices are set with a time delay to reconnect via Bluetooth to the smartphone but with no notification of a disconnection. Therefore HypoBand can’t compare apples with oranges.

Last edited by a moderator:

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Sorry to disturb YOUR Sunday too! Thanks for the callback regarding the problem. As discussed, the phone is obviously not shutting down the App immediately upon entering sleep mode. Sometimes the problem happens just 30 minutes after I have connected the band/phone, sometimes it happens as much as 3 hours after.

Not a problem as we are always here to help. I have my Samsung Mini paired with the HB1.0 and will monitor if I can replicate the same issue as you describe. We have never encountered this issue before.

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a problem as we are always here to help. I have my Samsung Mini paired with the HB1.0 and will monitor if I can replicate the same issue as you describe. We have never encountered this issue before.

Hi again @HypoBand UK . . .

I saw your note on my Profile page. I looked for the "Power Saving" setting on my phone (I didn't know it existed:oops:) . . . I found it and can see this option is switched off.

I now think I understand what has been happening, and think it is caused by my own behaviour. The band is currently charging - when it's charged I will test out my theory. I'll post again later today.

Regards :)
Antony

Reactions: 3 people

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi again @HypoBand UK . . .

I saw your note on my Profile page. I looked for the "Power Saving" setting on my phone (I didn't know it existed:oops:) . . . I found it and can see this option is switched off.

I now think I understand what has been happening, and think it is caused by my own behaviour. The band is currently charging - when it's charged I will test out my theory. I'll post again later today.

Regards :)
Antony

Good morning Antony, thank you for the reply and we await your advise.

We are continuing with our test on the Mini Galaxy paired with HB1.0 and researching the various settings / configurations on the Samsung smartphone.