hypoglycaemia

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
here is that article.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/19/magnesium-deficiency.aspx

Mercola is a doctor who makes his living my suggesting to people that they follow his advice (aren't all docs like that :D). But he would like you to buy his books, and his supplements, and so on.
So I often read his articles for interest, and then go off and verify what he is saying elsewhere, from an impartial source. :)

In this case, reading around, I decided that small amounts of Magnesium glycinate (chelated) was the best option for me, and I have been taking it for a couple of years now.

Thanks.
I eat lots of greens and in particular spinach so I would have thought I got enough magnesium. I will check out Holland & Barretts.
Definitely don't need the "bowel loosening" effect.

Reactions: Brunneria

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.
I eat lots of greens and in particular spinach so I would have thought I got enough magnesium. I will check out Holland & Barretts.
Definitely don't need the "bowel loosening" effect.

Hi Brunneria,
How long do magnesium capsules take to make an effect?
I have taken one 400mg capsule before going to bed for 3 nights now and if anything my leg cramps have worsened.
Last night was particularly bad.
I think from 3am onwards I had to leap out of bed every half hour or so with very painful cramp in one leg or the other.
This morning my legs are extremely sore, I feel like I have just played a cup final.
Maybe I am being too impatient.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm always a little wary of making 'claims' about supplements, for a whole host of reasons. Dosing, and efficacy, and time to take effect, and so on. We all vary so much.

But from what I have observed, from my own supplement intake:
- for me, magnesium seems to help with muscle weakness and heavy limbs, but not really with cramping - but other people find it does help with cramps
- for me, potassium rapidly helps with cramping. I find it works within a couple of hours, and so long as I remember to take the tablets, does not reoccur

The reason I know that for me potassium has more effect on cramps than magnesium, is that I used potassium for years and it eliminated my cramps for years (I have been low carbing for a loooooong time ;) ). Then I arrived on this forum, and ppl kept recommending magnesium - so I tried it - and I found that it helped with trembly legs and heavy limbs.

Hope that makes sense.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @algarvedave

Do you take statins or other meds?

I had a month of them and so you describe happened to me!

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm always a little wary of making 'claims' about supplements, for a whole host of reasons. Dosing, and efficacy, and time to take effect, and so on. We all vary so much.

But from what I have observed, from my own supplement intake:
- for me, magnesium seems to help with muscle weakness and heavy limbs, but not really with cramping - but other people find it does help with cramps
- for me, potassium rapidly helps with cramping. I find it works within a couple of hours, and so long as I remember to take the tablets, does not reoccur

The reason I know that for me potassium has more effect on cramps than magnesium, is that I used potassium for years and it eliminated my cramps for years (I have been low carbing for a loooooong time ;) ). Then I arrived on this forum, and ppl kept recommending magnesium - so I tried it - and I found that it helped with trembly legs and heavy limbs.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.
Up until around a year ago I used to get lots of cramp, legs, arms, feet on a fairly regular basis at any time of the day or night, something I have always had since childhood. Then it mysteriously stopped and I have never really understood what I was doing differently.
LCHF has definitely been the reason for my leg cramps returning during the night. I guessed it was dehydration so have seriously upped my water intake which I don't think has really had any effect.

I have also have very heavy legs and low energy some days but normally I can help that by eating a few extra carbs snacks like a few nuts.

Someone else said potassium so I will give that a go instead.
Maybe that won't give me raging diarrhea like the magnesium did.

Reactions: Lamont D