Hypos for T2s

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I have just read an article on the US diabetes forum relating to T2s having hypos, showing my ignorance I am afraid, I thought only T1s went hypo due to insulin use, seems I am wrong, could you please expand on this subject for me?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.

ANYBODY, whether diabetic or not can Hypo. It just means that your blood glucose levels are below around 4 mmol/l, the accepted 'floor' for Hypoglycaemia. It is more common amongst Diabetics who use hypo inducing meds which encompasses more than just Insulin.

I am on Byetta and have had a few myself. As a T2 my liver then 'dumps' and increases my Bg levels up to a safer level. A T1 doesn't usually have that luxury so can go into a diabetic coma and even die if this is not treated promptly.

There is quite a long explanation on here about the subject. Do a search of the forum top right.

NickW

As a T2 my liver then 'dumps' and increases my Bg levels up to a safer level. A T1 doesn't usually have that luxury so can go into a diabetic coma and even die if this is not treated promptly.

That's not quite correct; T1's do still have hepatic glucose release when they go hypo. The problem is that in the non-diabetic and T2's, the pancreas also stops producing insulin. The T1 has already injected insulin and it's still working, so the liver dump often isn't enough to counteract the effect of the insulin that's still working to lower BG.

In a pinch it's possible for T1's to get themselves out of hypo's by inducing a larger liver dump - I've done this myself when my blood's been lower than 3 and I've been without any sugar (a stupid situation to get myself into and one I'm more careful about now!) I ran 50m sprints followed by 10 burpees for about 3 or 4 rounds, and within about 5 minutes the liver dumped enough glucose to come out of the hypo. It's not exactly pleasant, in fact it sucked, but it can work in an emergency.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, just thought I'd mention it :).

Cheers,
Nick

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Cheers Nick. I bow to your superior knowledge as a T1.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
ANYBODY, whether diabetic or not can Hypo

Thanks for replies. I guess I did not word this very well, as I do know that anyone can have a hypo, but I meant to say, I believed that T1s were more prone to it, as insulin injecting diabetics (T1s apologies if i have this wrong, still trying to get my head around T2 diabetes, my knowledge of T1 is very limited), is the article implying T2s are more prone than non-diabetics to having hypos?

Hope this all makes sense :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I couldn't do a single Burpee
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Basically - it is anyone on a Hypo inducing medication, Insulin, Byetta, Victoza etc. T1 or T2, makes no difference. !

It also has a lot to do with Hypo awareness. If you haven't got any then you can drop straight into the danger zone as a T1 without any warning then things can quickly get serious ! Liver dumps aren't always available to a T1, contrary to some opinions. Depends on the individuals own body chemistry ?

“A complication of diabetes in which the patient is unaware of a deep drop in blood sugar because it fails to trigger the secretion of epinephrine which generates the characteristic symptoms of hypoglycemia (such as palpitations, sweating, anxiety) that serve to warn the patient of the dropping blood glucose. The patient can then take action and eat to help reverse the hypoglycemia.
Hypoglycemia unawareness can result in prolonged exposure to hypoglycemia, resulting in a seizure, loss of consciousness, or brain damage. The development of hypoglycemia unawareness also makes intensified blood glucose control more difficult and puts the patient at risk for severe hypoglycemia-related complications.” (From: Webster's New World Medical Dictionary)

As this thread is about hypos' in T2's the best thing is to avoid them. Make sure if you are on hypo inducing meds that you are aware of your Bg levels at all times. Prevention is always better than cure.

HpprKM

Dislikes
cugila - thanks for the detailed reply. I am not on any meds (yet), so assume I have no need to worry. You have made it so much clearer :D

chrishatsgirl

Dislikes
Screaming kids in supermarkets.
I have to tell you that I am type 2 and I have had hypo's. I had a particularly scarey one when I was on a train, just as I was approaching the platform I went really faint and "funny all over". I now keep glucose tablets with me at all times just in case. By the way I am on insulin.

CSB